Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

08 vlx or lsv

hbohnet

This is my first post and just discovered I posted this under classified adds section, so I will try again here.

I have an 08 VLX on order and after looking at a LSV at the boat show last weekend, am wondering whether to move up a size, it is a beautiful boat! Living in the great white north I will not be able to test drive a LSV before making the decision. Any comments on comparisons of the two would be greatly appreciated. Our family mostly surfs with a little wakeboarding and skiing mixed in. Does the LSV have a better wake for surfing? Is the new hull design an improvement? Handling in rough water improved? Is the 340 enough engine? Or any other comments......

I tried seaching the archives but kept coming up with errors. If this was discussed before maybe someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks

Very basically, both boats do the same thing. They both throw great wakes for surfing & boarding. The key is weighting each boat correctly, they differ a little. IMO, the decision rests on how much room you need in the cabin. How many people do you take out in the boat normally? How much extra room do you want inside the cabin while you are out on the water? How much equipment do you need to store out of sight? IMO, the 23 is a little easier to load with people/gear from the side without dragging stuff over the rear hatch covers with the Illusion tower. These are the kinds of questions you need to ask your self about the two boats.

If and when I get another boat, it'll be a 23 LSV. The extra room along with still being agile makes it the boat of my dreams. Anyone want an '07 Vride? :)

Edited by Helinut
Very basically, both boats do the same thing. They both throw great wakes for surfing & boarding. The key is weighting each boat correctly, they differ a little. IMO, the decision rests on how much room you need in the cabin. How many people do you take out in the boat normally? How much extra room do you want inside the cabin while you are out on the water? How much equipment do you need to store out of sight? IMO, the 23 is a little easier to load with people/gear from the side without dragging stuff over the rear hatch covers with the Illusion tower. These are the kinds of questions you need to ask your self about the two boats.

Plus1.gif It all depends on how social of a boater you are.

For what it is worth, I was in the same position as you. I went to my dealer planning on an 08 LSV and switchd to an 08 VLX. I went with the VLX because of the increased ballast options and for resale value. My dealer sells 10 Wakesetters for every LSV, so the demand is high in my area for the wakeboard boat.

For what it is worth, I was in the same position as you. I went to my dealer planning on an 08 LSV and switchd to an 08 VLX. I went with the VLX because of the increased ballast options and for resale value. My dealer sells 10 Wakesetters for every LSV, so the demand is high in my area for the wakeboard boat.

I don't understand this line in your post;

"I went with the VLX because of the increased ballast options and for resale value."

Are you comparing Wakesetter LSV to Wakesetter VLX or the Sunscape LSV to Wakesetter VLX? What was the increased ballast option you were offered in the VLX?

Thanks to everyone for their comments. It looks like the decision will be based on how many people might normally be in the boat, and the kids are coming back with extras! A few more questions: I know the 23 LSV is rated for 14 people but how many adults can you comfortably sit in the main part of the boat (excluding bow)? Any comments on the 340 vs the HH engine, is the 340 enough power, difference in fuel economy? Thanks.

I'm not sure if the Monsoon would be enough for the 23', if it where me I would get the hammerhead. I have the VLX w/ the Monsson and when I have it weighted down with the stock prop it had a hard time planning but I changed the prop and it is great now. Granted I live at 6,000 feet which also makes a difference. Others that own LSV's I'm sure will chime in.

Good Luck and Congrats

Well after riding in my vlx, my neighbor sold his lsv, and is looking for a vlx. There is a difference in the wake. Now if you are taking the kids tubing . . . well have fun with either one!

With full ballast and 8 people, I haven't had a problem 'getting up" on the 23 WS LSV w/ the 340 monsoon. I guess if you sacked it up on top of that it might start to slow you down a bit. If I really wanted to do that, I would just prop it up a bit, I think that the the 340 is a great engine over the HHead as it will probably live a happier, longer life as it is a very reliable engine IMHO