Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Wax

2wayskier

We just bought a new VTX on which part of the hull is red. I realize red tends to fade but everything else with boat is just what we wanted. I've used Colinite Wax in the past on a blue hull with pretty good results against fading. Does anyone else have a wax they love and seems to resist fading. Our boat is on a lift for 6 months of the year so it's out there.

I've got a black hull with white and red on the sides. I highly recommend Babe's Boat Bright. Just spray it on and wipe it off after every outing and you won't need to worry about waxing. You will need to make sure there is a good base coat of wax on the boat before you use Babe's for the first time.

I've got a black hull with white and red on the sides. I highly recommend Babe's Boat Bright. Just spray it on and wipe it off after every outing and you won't need to worry about waxing. You will need to make sure there is a good base coat of wax on the boat before you use Babe's for the first time.

Plus1.gif On the Boat Brite Thumbup.gif And on the good coat of whatever wax you prefer

I always use 5 Star Shine. It's not wax, but a different chemical compound that makes the boat superslick and wax-free for a few years. Check it out. www.5starshine.com

The only thing is, it gets very slippery on the fiberglass surface when wet.

I always use 5 Star Shine. It's not wax, but a different chemical compound that makes the boat superslick and wax-free for a few years. Check it out. www.5starshine.com

The only thing is, it gets very slippery on the fiberglass surface when wet.

Thanks, I'm concerned about the relection of the water which affect the hull under the gunnel primarily. We have a tent on our lift and a cover on it most of the time. I'll look up 5 Star Shine.

I have used 3M Ultra Marine paste in the past. More recently Meguiar's Pure Wax applied with a random orbital buffer. I wipe the boat down after every use with a microfiber towel, occasionally using Eagle Wax-as-u-Dry or the 3M Quick Wax. Regardless, after a time you will notice that the boat does not wipe down as easily--it's time for another quality base application.

After five seasons, my gelcoat showed no signs of fading or oxidation. Dark Blue, Marble, and Ebony colors.

Have fun, and remember, waxiness is next to Godliness. :)

I've been using Zymol's Marine wax for 8 years with spectacular results and durability.

I've used Zymol on my car for years with good results.

Thanks for the tip.

I have used 3M Ultra Marine paste in the past. More recently Meguiar's Pure Wax applied with a random orbital buffer. I wipe the boat down after every use with a microfiber towel, occasionally using Eagle Wax-as-u-Dry or the 3M Quick Wax. Regardless, after a time you will notice that the boat does not wipe down as easily--it's time for another quality base application.

After five seasons, my gelcoat showed no signs of fading or oxidation. Dark Blue, Marble, and Ebony colors.

Have fun, and remember, waxiness is next to Godliness. :)

Great tip, Thanks!

We just bought a new VTX on which part of the hull is red. I realize red tends to fade but everything else with boat is just what we wanted. I've used Colinite Wax in the past on a blue hull with pretty good results against fading. Does anyone else have a wax they love and seems to resist fading. Our boat is on a lift for 6 months of the year so it's out there.

That 5 star shine is the bomb!!. I've used it on my truck two time now and dirt doesn't hardly stick to it. I'm going to put it on my boat as soon as it warms up some. This product is a teflon coating like a teflon fry pan. very tough and slick. Stuff just can't stick to it.

That 5 star shine is the bomb!!. I've used it on my truck two time now and dirt doesn't hardly stick to it. I'm going to put it on my boat as soon as it warms up some. This product is a teflon coating like a teflon fry pan. very tough and slick. Stuff just can't stick to it.

Yep, that's my experience with it too. Use it on your boat! You'll love it. No more waxing, just wipe it down. The boat will have a showroom shine after every wipedown. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has found and used 5 Star Shine.

Yep, that's my experience with it too. Use it on your boat! You'll love it. No more waxing, just wipe it down. The boat will have a showroom shine after every wipedown. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has found and used 5 Star Shine.

It's sounds like the 5 Star Shine is the longest lasting. Thanks, for the advice.

How often are people actually waxing their boats? I just keep a mixture of half vinegar half water in a spray bottle on my dock and wipe down the boat each day . I haven't had any problems with the color/coat.

How often are people actually waxing their boats? I just keep a mixture of half vinegar half water in a spray bottle on my dock and wipe down the boat each day . I haven't had any problems with the color/coat.

I waxed our old boat two or three times a year. Primarily the hull. Our boat is on a lift so it's always exposed to the sun and it's reflection off the lake.

"Everytime you use the vinegar it'll take the wax off. "

Plus1.gif

Might want to re-think your system.

Plus1.gif Babe's Boat Brite instead.

I wax mine twice a season (but it's white) Thumbup.gif

Don't forget to wax the bottom of the hull - improves the fuel economy, becuase the water beads right off, allowing the boat to ride higher.. on a cushion of water beads Yes.gif

I do also wax the trailer... Crazy.gif

Trailer and bottom of the hull is a must. Have heard starbright to be great. Maybe a GB is in order for SB or 5 star

D-goose you are the GB pimp..... Notworthy.gif

Where do you get the 5 Star Shine? Is it only available online or do some retailers carry it?

I've never seen retailers carry it. i always buy it online. It's kindof expensive ($70-ish), but well worth it I think. I'm putting it my my latest boat this weekend. Good luck.