Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wanna Buy A Wetsuit

LS1boarder

Ok, so I am getting involved with this group of wakeboarders this spring/summer/fall, notice how I said 3 seasons? These guys wakeboard in cold water at the beginning and end of the season. I'm brand new to wakeboarding and am really excited to learn! But, I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to cold water. I need a 4mm wetsuit for these conditions. I like O'Neil products, and want to find a good deal on a wetsuit, but haven't really found much online. Does anybody have a recommendation for the model I should buy and where I should buy it from? Thanks in advance!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hoover

• Chef23

• LS1boarder

• Malibudude

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree with the drysuit, but I would suggest a hybrid like the Oneill fluid dry or something like it. They are a lot easier to get in and out of than the baggy, and they are less delicate than the baggy due to the type of seals. I ski in Ohio from March to late November sometimes December. I use mine with warm clothes for the super cold days, and with just a swimsuit on the kinda cold days. The rest of the time I'm in a swimsuit. I don't own a shorty at all. You don't gain the water weight either, because the drysuits don't hold water. A typical full wetsuit you will gain 10-25 pounds of water weight.

Cheers.gif

We ski in all temps and here's what I do. I use a baggie drysuit until the water warms up to around 50. At 50, I change to a Matuse long wetsuit. They are expensive, but hands down the most comfortable, stretchy, warm, lightest wetsuit I've ever owned. There is a bunch of "hype" about the different process used for these wetsuits on their website (www.matuse.com). I can't really comment on the "green" factor - but I will say it's the best wetsuit I've ever owned and I've owned alot of them.

I stumbled on them via the surfing forums since these guys need wetsuits that last and are warm. I have friends who use the non-baggy drysuits and they take about 1/2 hour to get in and out of them. So I was never a big fan of them. I much prefer the baggie over those, but would rather not be in a drysuit at all if I had the choice.

Edited by Bryan Schumacher
I have friends who use the non-baggy drysuits and they take about 1/2 hour to get in and out of them.

What kind of non-baggy drysuits are your friends using? It takes me about 30 seconds and a buddy to zip the zipper to get into it.

Imho I'd recommend getting a drysuit instead. While they are more expensive, it's worth keeping dry and comfortable.

For real - dry suit.

When it gets too cold to get in with a swimsuit, switch to a dry suit. Wear sweats underneath, you stay dry and the wind isn't a problem after you get in the boat.

For $300 you can get a great suit.

What kind of non-baggy drysuits are your friends using? It takes me about 30 seconds and a buddy to zip the zipper to get into it.

I'm not sure. All I know is they look like contortionists trying to get in the things since they are sooooo tight. Mabye the got cheap ones or something. If you can get in your in 30 seconds, yours has to be way better than theirs. I swear it takes them 5 minutes to get it on and adjusted because it is so tight fitting.

I'm not sure. All I know is they look like contortionists trying to get in the things since they are sooooo tight. Mabye the got cheap ones or something. If you can get in your in 30 seconds, yours has to be way better than theirs. I swear it takes them 5 minutes to get it on and adjusted because it is so tight fitting.

They probably have one more like GalaxyToad's that is a really thick wetsuit that acts like a dry. I think his is a Ripcurl f bomb or e bomb or some crazy thing that is an insane amount of rubber. It is surely entertaining to watch him get in and out of the thing though!!!

Umm, it may be more about "agressive" or "overly optimistic" sizing than the dry suit itself.

Whistling.gif

I go with the drysuit, but my daughter swears by her O'Neill full wet suit. She stays essentially dry in it and warm. She still has to wear a swim suit underneath and put it on and off in the boat. I prefer to wear some sweats underneath and then when I take off the suit, I stay dry and toasty.

I have the O'Neill Boost baggy drysuit and have been very happy with it. I go from that right to a neoprene shirt. I have a wetsuit, but I rarely use it.

Here's what I do. I use my 4/3 Chamber wetsuit by Jet Pilot until the water gets around 50ish degrees. Great suit, very little water penetration. Once we get below 50 I switch to the baggy drysuit (depending also on air temps). Personally, I much prefer the wetsuit over the drysuit. Mobility is fine with the wetsuit. It is worth the extra money to buy a quality wetsuit. Good luck!

Thanks guys! Hmmm, I don't really think I'll be in the water below 50 degrees. So, do ya think I'll be OK with the O'Neill Psycho 2? Does anybody have any experience with this model?

I guess I don't even really know how a wetsuit works. Does it keep you dry underneath? It sounds like it by the fact that some say they wear sweats under.

I would like to only get one type of suit, some say dry suit and some say wet. I take it the dry suit provides more warmth, but it seems to me like it would be tougher to move around in. Maybe I'm wrong, and sorry if these seem like dumb questions.

The Drysuit: you stay dry underneath, so you can wear sweats or whatever underneath. The wetsuit lets water in an then holds it. The water that gets in is warmed by your body temp and then stays there to add a layer of insulation. The hybrid drysuits look a lot like wetsuits. Here is a picture of my O'neill fluid drysuit.

Thanks guys! Hmmm, I don't really think I'll be in the water below 50 degrees. So, do ya think I'll be OK with the O'Neill Psycho 2? Does anybody have any experience with this model?

I guess I don't even really know how a wetsuit works. Does it keep you dry underneath? It sounds like it by the fact that some say they wear sweats under.

I would like to only get one type of suit, some say dry suit and some say wet. I take it the dry suit provides more warmth, but it seems to me like it would be tougher to move around in. Maybe I'm wrong, and sorry if these seem like dumb questions.

post-777-1203651966_thumb.jpg

I got my drysuit last year from overtons for around 230 IIRC.

FWIW I know a couple of guys that have purchased Overton's house brand drysuits (Gladiator) and both returned them due to poor fit and questionable quality. One neoprene, one baggy. The neoprene suit had wrist and ankle cuffs that were much too big and let water in, the baggy had a neck seal that was waaaay too small and some of the seam tape was lifting when the suit first arrived.

Wetsuit or Drysuit...I'm a big fan of O'Neill. Thumbup.gif

With respect to O'Neill Drysuits, how do the sizes run? I am 6' tall so I am right at the upper end of the height range for a large. I could go with an extra large, but my weight is well under the spec for that size.

Also, does anyone have any experience with the Adrenaline Drysuit from Adrenaline Watersports? Has a pretty good guarantee and a much better price than the O'Neill Boost baggy suit.

Can anyone say "Group Buy"??

With respect to O'Neill Drysuits, how do the sizes run? I am 6' tall so I am right at the upper end of the height range for a large. I could go with an extra large, but my weight is well under the spec for that size.

Also, does anyone have any experience with the Adrenaline Drysuit from Adrenaline Watersports? Has a pretty good guarantee and a much better price than the O'Neill Boost baggy suit.

Can anyone say "Group Buy"??

Yes, I've used Adrenaline for quite a few years. They make a great Baggy. HOWEVER, 2 years ago I bought a NRS Extreme Drysuit and it is so much nicer than the Adrenaline. ( http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfi...amp;deptid=1174 ) We are foilers, so we use drysuits with booties built in. The booties on the NRS are the same material as the drysuit, which makes it much easier to get our feet in the bindings. Also with the zipper in the front, it is easier to put on and take off by yourself. And you can also check to be sure the zipper is fully closed instead of relying on your friend. :) But the Adrenaline would be my second choice for a baggie. I still have one in my basement that I keep as a backup in case the NRS ever has issues.

Edited by Bryan Schumacher

Yes, I've used Adrenaline for quite a few years. They make a great Baggy. HOWEVER, 2 years ago I bought a NRS Extreme Drysuit and it is so much nicer than the Adrenaline. ( http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfi...amp;deptid=1174 ) We are foilers, so we use drysuits with booties built in. The booties on the NRS are the same material as the drysuit, which makes it much easier to get our feet in the bindings. Also with the zipper in the front, it is easier to put on and take off by yourself. And you can also check to be sure the zipper is fully closed instead of relying on your friend. :) But the Adrenaline would be my second choice for a baggie. I still have one in my basement that I keep as a backup in case the NRS ever has issues.

Hmmm. I was looking at used Kokatat Gore-Tex suits because Gore-Tex is breathable and I don't want to sweat my butt off in the suit. It says this is "breathable". What is your experience? What else makes them "nicer"

Also, would a person be able to use the booties in Slalom boots?

I've got my 3/2 oneil fullsuit, and it keeps warm down into the low 50s, I don't know how it is below that since I have not been in water colder than that. The only thing I might want for cold water riding would be gloves as much as a wake boarding fashion fauxpas that is.

The Drysuit: you stay dry underneath, so you can wear sweats or whatever underneath. The wetsuit lets water in an then holds it. The water that gets in is warmed by your body temp and then stays there to add a layer of insulation. The hybrid drysuits look a lot like wetsuits. Here is a picture of my O'neill fluid drysuit.

That one doesn't look too bad, and looks like it would keep me pretty warm. I hate cold water! The wetsuit idea makes me think that you get really cold right away, then warm up slowly. Anybody have a line on where I can buy O'Neill stuff for cheap if it even exists?

That one doesn't look too bad, and looks like it would keep me pretty warm. I hate cold water! The wetsuit idea makes me think that you get really cold right away, then warm up slowly. Anybody have a line on where I can buy O'Neill stuff for cheap if it even exists?

I found boardco.com has some fluid drys on clearance for $299.

http://www.boardco.com/shopexd.asp?id=10722

Depending on what size you need you can have my drysuit. I'm going to use my Ripcurl wetsuit in the spring/fall.

Bill

Really? That's awesome of you to offer. Rockon.gif It looks like a need a size small or medium according to the O'Neill size chart on their page.