Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Zebra Mussels

YZThump

Malibu boats intentionally store water in the stringer cavities for noise and vibration reduction.

To actually clean a boat and trailer after boating in a mussel lake would seem impossible unless you lifted the boat off the trailer.

Then cleaned the boat and trailer completely.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WakeGirl

• Malibudude

• Chia

• NvBoarder

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MalibuNation

Chlorine is also used to kill them ... not sure if this has been mentioned as I haven't been following this tread.

Would chlorine harm your tanks or plumbing?????????

Thanks.

Edited by MalibuNation
Getting all of the water out (of the engine) will not be an easy thing, & if they're concerned with that....I'm not sure what can be done.

while the engine does get to 160f past the waterpump, what about before and at the water pump. Does water sit in there anywhere? that would be a bad place for them to be growing up and raising a family.

Had a great weekend, glad to get up to the lake and see everyone. The houseboats are looking good, after all the hard work you put into both of them. Can't wait to check um out when their complete. Went to Lake Tahoe today to take Joannes Dad out on the lake and we valet the boat at Sunny side for lunch, weather was great and not to busy up there.

However here is the bad news. I was inspected for mussels at the lake, didn't have any problems because I knew my crap, thanks to this wonderful site, actually it was kinda lame and they just talked to us about the situation, no real inspection in my eyes, didn't even check to see if I had the plug pulled.

I was told by the inspector that the mussels where found at Stampede, which is about 15 minutes outside of Truckee. Their theory is that is was brought in by a fishermen, not a wakeboarder. Here is the real problem, Stampede resivoir flows into Boca resivoir, which flows into the Truckee river, which goes into lake Pyramind and lake Lahontan. To boot chances are anyone that has been to these lakes also go to Lake Tahoe and possibly Bullards, which you see where I am going with this, we might have a real situation on our hands, time will tell. They're not sure how bad it is yet, they just found out last week and no lakes are closed yet, I didn't get the chance to talk to him as much as I wanted becasue their was a line of boats waiting to launch, I will keep you up to date, Just wanted to keep the crew informed.

Oh and No I have not been on any of the above lakes this year with the exception of Lake Tahoe today and Bullards, so I am confident that I shouldn't have any issues, but my mid week runs on Boca just got canceled. Cry.gif

I went to Berryessa on Sunday (Steele Park) There were no inspections. Apparently the DF&G had been to all the resorts on Sat doing spot checks, but no real problems. They are basically just asking for honesty when asking where the boat has been in the last 30 days.

Patrick

So, there is a new girl here at work that is from the east coast. She grew up on a lake that is in upstate New York that Zebra Mussels showed up in about 12 years ago. This is a lake that is cold, it doesn't get above the mid-60's during the summer. We talked at length about this & from what I could gather there wasn't anything that could be done to stop the spread of these things. They tried all of the things that have been mentioned here & more. Once it gets going, unless they completely lock down the lakes that are clean, it will get there eventually. And in the interim, we're going to see some pretty bad things happen. Lakes that have shorefront homes will use it as an excuse to keep boats off of the lake, things like that.

But here's the good news. She said that while the mussels were bad, they couldn't sustain themselves & were gone within 5 years of initially showing up. That seems like a long time, but if you look at the big picture it really isn't. It sounded much like a virus that will run its course & then be gone. (Maybe it's good news, maybe not depending on how you're looking at the problem.)

This is obviously one person's experience, but it was interesting to hear for sure. So I'm curious to know if any other members out there have this kind of experience with them?

They've been on our lake in SE Wisconsin for probably 4 or 5 years now. I'd say they had a peak a couple of summers ago and aren't quite as "everywhere" as they were. I'm hoping your friend is right, I'd love to see them go away. In the mean time, they're making the water crystal clear, it's kind of a nice change.

They've been on our lake in SE Wisconsin for probably 4 or 5 years now. I'd say they had a peak a couple of summers ago and aren't quite as "everywhere" as they were. I'm hoping your friend is right, I'd love to see them go away. In the mean time, they're making the water crystal clear, it's kind of a nice change.

Yeah, she confirmed that part of it as well. It didn't kill the animal life in her lake & they never had the problem with algae that I've seen mentioned at least once, but made her lake & others in the area much cleaner than they were prior to the mussels showing up.

WOW just think of what this could do for the Delta. Thumbup.gif

do we really want to know what is below us at the Delta. I can only imagine that crap that is down there. If it weren't for all the great water you can find I would never go there.

Cruzhm

Think about the cycle like a saltwater aquarium. You have lakes that have gotten more and more polluted and these mussels thrive in that pollution until they eat themselves out of a food source and die off. In the end we get cleaner lakes.

Think about the cycle like a saltwater aquarium. You have lakes that have gotten more and more polluted and these mussels thrive in that pollution until they eat themselves out of a food source and die off. In the end we get cleaner lakes.

That's exactly the way it sounds to me.

That's exactly the way it sounds to me.

Well in that case maybe there not so bad, I have heard that Tahoe got a little clearer in the last year, they may already be there and we don't know it. In any regards I will do everything in my power not to transport them. I sat on a steep hill and ran my ballast pumps until nothing came out and I even took a absorber towel and got all the water out of the bilge area so it will be completely dry on my next outing. I didn't see any signs of mussels but thought I would take that extra step to be safe.

It sounds like they need something hard to latch onto - IE, they don't do as well in lakes that have mucky bottoms & shorelines, but thrive in environments with a lot of rock. The biggest challenge would be for those areas with dams & irrigation piping, as Stewart alluded to. The Delta will have a lot of challenges once it reaches there, which I think at this point is just a matter of time.

One of my neighbors wrote to our Senators regarding the mussel issue. These are the responses.

Dear Ms. Rios:

Thank you for writing to me about recreational boating. I appreciate hearing from you.

I am pleased to inform you that on May 21, 2008, the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works (EPW) unanimously approved the Clean Boating Act of 2008 (S.2766). As Chairman of the EPW Committee, I proudly joined Senator Bill Nelson (D-FL) in introducing this bill to establish measures that ensure the protection of water quality while minimizing any burdens for recreational boaters under the Clean Water Act.

The Clean Boating Act makes it clear that recreational boaters will not have to get a permit under the Clean Water Act, while also requiring the Environmental Protection Agency and the Coast Guard to develop management practices, outside of any permitting programs, to assist boaters in minimizing adverse pollution impacts. By helping boaters to maintain and improve water quality, the boating experience can be enhanced for all users.

In developing this bill, I worked closely with boat user groups and recreational boat manufacturers to meet the needs of boaters and our mutual goal of clean water.

The National Marine Manufacturers Association, which is leading the efforts on behalf of boaters everywhere, said, "This legislation takes a balanced approach which protects the American marine manufacturing sector, boaters and anglers, and the nation's aquatic resources."

Rest assured that I will continue working with my colleagues to see that Congress passes this legislation to protect recreational boaters and improve water quality.

Again, thank you for writing to me. Please feel free to write to me in the future about this or any other issue of concern to you.

Barbara Boxer

United States Senator

Dear Ms. Rios:

Thank you for writing to me to share your support for the "Clean Boating Act of 2008." I appreciate hearing your thoughts about this legislation, and I welcome the opportunity to respond.

As you know, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) must create and manage a Clean Water Act permit system for recreational boats by September 2008. I understand that recreational boating is a very popular activity in California, and I appreciate hearing your support for reinstating the recreational boat exemption.

I am pleased to inform you that I am a co-sponsor of the "Clean Boating Act of 2008" (S. 2766). This legislation would restore the exemption of recreational boats from EPA regulations regarding the discharge of pollutants such as engine cooling water, deck runoff, bilge water and gray water. Please know that I appreciate your interest in actively contributing to the legislative process, and I hope that you will continue to keep in touch on matters of importance to you.

Again, thank you for writing. If you have any other questions or comments, please contact my Washington, D.C. office at (202)224-3841. Best regards.

Sincerely yours,

Dianne Feinstein

United States Senator

In the mean time, they're making the water crystal clear, it's kind of a nice change.

WOW just think of what this could do for the Delta. Thumbup.gif

so this mussel eats rubber old boots, derelict boats, dead bodies, hazardous waste and pesticide?

Edited by jayjoans

FIFY-

Dear Ms. Rios:

Thank you for writing to me to share your support for the "Clean Boating Act of 2008." I appreciate hearing your thoughts about this legislation, and I welcome the opportunity to bilk you of more tax money.

As you know, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals (AKA: Liberal heaven) ruled that the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) must create and manage a Clean Water Act permit system for recreational boats by September 2008. I understand that recreational boating is a very popular activity in California, and I appreciate hearing your support for reinstating the recreational boat exemption. Although I personally don't care about you or your needs but acting like it certainly helps my career.

I am pleased to inform you that I am a co-sponsor (IE someone else came up with the idea, worked on it, and I saw a chance to pander to constituents who normally would have nothing to do with me) of the "Clean Boating Act of 2008" (S. 2766). This legislation would restore the exemption of recreational boats from EPA regulations regarding the discharge of pollutants such as engine cooling water, deck runoff, bilge water and gray water. Please know that I appreciate your interest in actively contributing to the legislative process, and I hope that you will continue to keep in touch on matters of importance to you.

Again, thank you for writing. If you have any other questions or comments, please contact my Washington, D.C. office at (202)224-3841 or my campaign finance team at [email protected]. Best regards.

Sincerely yours,

Dianne Feinstein

United States Senator

MalibuNation

They've been in MI for quite awhile ... might have started here. Yes, the lakes get clearer, great, right? Then what happens is weed grow faster and deeper as more sun comes through.

There's been some fish and ducks dying in the Great Lakes and they suspect the Zebra mussels.

Problems with Zebra Mussels

But here's the good news. She said that while the mussels were bad, they couldn't sustain themselves & were gone within 5 years of initially showing up.

This is obviously one person's experience, but it was interesting to hear for sure. So I'm curious to know if any other members out there have this kind of experience with them?

This has not been my experience on our lake. We've had them probably 7 or 8 years now, and I don't see any sign of them decreasing. Our lake is very clear, but in reality it always has been relatively clean.

Like I said early on in this thread, these mussels are not nearly the end of the world that was predicted before they showed up. We don't have weeds growing out of control (supposed result of sunlight that can reach farther down into the water), and the fish continue to thrive. The only negative has been that you can't walk in the shallows barefoot without risking a cut on your foot. And since our family much prefers to anchor in deeper water, this just isn't a factor for us.

The government agencies can try to control it all they want, but it is a WOM - you simply can't stop it. Anybody have small planes on floats out there? All it takes is one person bunny hoping around from one lake to another. Quite honestly, the little buggers are probably already there (no such thing as 'a little pregnant'). But again, it just ain't the end of the world. Unfortunately, your state government has never let the facts (or common sense) get in the way of regulation.

Unfortunately, your state government has never let the facts (or common sense) get in the way of regulation.

Unfortunately this is so true it hurts...

I fear that after the flooding we've had those little buggers are going to be around for years yet. They seemed to be dying off somewhat but now there is a good layer of silt and crap from all the river run off in our lake from all the flooding north of us. They should be well fed for years to come

• 1 month later...

Had my first Quaga/Zebra muscle inspection this weekend.

Talked Shannon into boating on Tahoe on Sunday, something we'd never done. Bit difficult to find a ramp in South Shore. One of the public ramps is unusable due to the low water (I duno - maybe 5-10 feet down from normal) The only other one in the area is in the Tahoe Keys... get this - double ramp, with very little room to maneuver once you launch the boat (very long docks with boats parked lining both sides of the ramp area). They wanted $30 to launch... theeeen there is no place to park your trailer. So they valet your trailer for $20/day, and $10 fee to park it. So for $60 you can try and get your boat down their ramp.

Anyway- they were doing muscle inspections there - but we then went to Meeks Bay (West Shore - 30min away). Much better launching situation, still cost $25 to launch - and they did an inspection which consisted mostly of asking where the boat had been, and having me removing the rear plug. My boat is always wet in the bilge but no water ever comes out the rear plug... seems like the lamest inspection. They didn't check my ballast or anything inside the boat.

When leaving Tahoe, we were stopped again at the CA Agriculture check station. Again, questioned where we were going, and asked to remove the rear plug... Not exactly sure what he was looking for; maybe just to ensure we weren't transporting a bilge full of water. He told me to leave the plug out, so others could see that we weren't transporting water, and that some areas of CA it is now a fineable offense (to travel with rear plug in).. I duno.. all seemed weird to me since the didn't even look in the boat.

Interesting trip