Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Advertisment rule this industry

djkoma1

Don't you find it irritating that, unlike the car industry, our boat magazines and wakeboard/waterski magazines are scared to really compare and criticize a product from a boat manufacturer?

I understand that they live off boat and equipment adds but if you're gonna make a "boat buyer's guide", I think they should at least make the effort of making constructive criticizme (not bashing).

The most I get from the guides is: MSRP pricing differences, option lists and a few specs... and these days we get very shallow wake shape descriptions.

Hummm... a "Tow boat guide" that gives honnest neutral opinions of experts in the field. I'd pay quite a few dollars to have access to that type of info!!!!!!!

Edited by djkoma1

You really can't compare the auto and boat advertising industry.

It's a tough position for these magazine companies. And a good one for the boat manufacturers.

Look at it this way, Malibu sold the most NEW boats at just over 3,000 boats in 2006 - not sure what the total was in 2007, based on the economy, I imagine it about the same or less. MC was close, CC was half that as was Tige - if memory serves. That's a pretty small pool of 'new boat buyers'. You could stretch and say the number is 12,000 'new' boats for the competitive manufacturers.

There's only 5/6 manufacturers represented as well. For these guys to make money, the new boat buyer would have to pony up some good money. The pool from which the magazine companies draw money from is limited. Vs. the pool for new cars - it's literally millions of new car buyers and 10+ car manufacturers, 20+ different divisions (I.E. Toyota, Lexus, etc.)

Anyway, just pointing out - there are significant differences. I wish someone would do it, I just don't think there's money to be made - since the manufacturers are really the ones paying for it. And since they are paying, they want it to sound good...

Many of the differences, like wake type, seating configuration, etc. are subjective and relative to each individual. I wouldn't buy a CC even if it was $10K less than my Bu. But there are many that love the CC wake and seating, etc. So, it's just some guys 'opinion' about the wake that gets printed. Not necessarily the best opinion.