Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2009 Malibu Lineup

djkoma1

Anybody heard rumors on what's new in next years' Malibu lineup?

I'm particulary interested in the 2009 VLX... it's been pretty much the same boat for about 5 years now (exept for dash and paint jobs). Are we getting just the new vented windshield, front intakes and the Y shaped dash or is it going to be more drastic?

Windshield, dash, a couple inches to the beam and a tweak to the hull...is what I was told.

Are we talking about a V26 hull or minor tweeks???

I'm about to purchase a new VLX and wondering if value will drop faster because of new model coming next year...

Edited by djkoma1
Windshield, dash, a couple inches to the beam and a tweak to the hull...is what I was told.

Are we talking about a V26 hull or minor tweeks???

I'm about to purchase a new VLX and wondering if value will drop faster because of new model coming next year...

Minor tweaks is what I was told.

I wouldn't be afraid of the 08 and 09 will be a lot more. Look at a 23 LSV 07 vs. 08...the 07 is generally 10K less.

I'm more interested in knowing if they will have a new performance ski boat to replace the Response (LX). They resurected the Vette, it would be nice if they did the same with the Flightcraft or the Sportster... one can only dream...

Edited by 1FootDan
I'm more interested in knowing if they will have a new performance ski boat to replace the Response (LX). They resurected the Vette, it would be nice if they did the same with the Flightcraft or the Sportster... one can only dream...

They didn't really resurrect the Corvette, in the late 90's it was a DD, now it's V-drive. The Sportster is dead, infact I'm not sure they even have that hull mold accessable anymore when I was at the factory.

Based on some boat show feedback, the slalom purchasers are all located in the Midwest, particularly Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota and then some Indiana and Ohio. Rest of the country is pretty much wake boats. Ratio is also around 8:1 wake:slalom boats.

Sounds like the RLX will still be available, so hopefully that will last a while. Reading between the lines, there probably would not be any improvements to that boat, pretty much carryover from current configuration.

Based on some boat show feedback, the slalom purchasers are all located in the Midwest, particularly Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota and then some Indiana and Ohio. Rest of the country is pretty much wake boats. Ratio is also around 8:1 wake:slalom boats.

Sounds like the RLX will still be available, so hopefully that will last a while. Reading between the lines, there probably would not be any improvements to that boat, pretty much carryover from current configuration.

Woodski, very interesting from someone in Michigan.

Based on some boat show feedback, the slalom purchasers are all located in the Midwest, particularly Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota and then some Indiana and Ohio. Rest of the country is pretty much wake boats.

I think you can count the Northeast in with the slalom purchasers. . .

They didn't really resurrect the Corvette, in the late 90's it was a DD, now it's V-drive. The Sportster is dead, infact I'm not sure they even have that hull mold accessable anymore when I was at the factory.

The molds must exist somewhere if they are still making them in Ausralia.

Edited by 1FootDan

The molds must exist somewhere if they are still making them in Ausralia.

The Rlx is back to being the "Barefoot Boat". I saw one earlier this month when I went to ski school. With a properly adjusted plate, the Rlx makes a fine barefoot boat imho.

I was chit chatting with another student about the Flighty. This guy told me (no idea if he knows what he's talking about or not) that there have been a couple of attempts to purchase the Flightcraft molds from Malibu, but that they won't come off of them. The used ones I've seen are pretty rough and few and far between.

GT, you can still buy a Response (closed bow), which is an excellent slalom purist machine. I delivered a new 2008 last fall to a guy that traded in his Sportster.

On the other front, there is a minty Flightcraft available if anyone is looking...one guy has first dibs once we get the price set, but after that it's up for grabs. One owner since new.

Peter

GT, you can still buy a Response (closed bow), which is an excellent slalom purist machine. I delivered a new 2008 last fall to a guy that traded in his Sportster.

Drool.gif I wish. Yes.gif

Woodski, very interesting from someone in Michigan.

prolly cuz by the time we knock the rust of the slalom the leaves are turning and there is no time to take up a new sport! Cry.gif

Peter

REALLY?

Can you tell me approximately what a new 2008 closed bow response goes out the door for? I don't need much; speed control, hot shower, and horsepower.

Bill

Yes, I can. :)

On the retail side, the boat is $52494 with Hammerhead, Hot Water Shower, Insulated Motor Box, Sunbrella Cover, Trailer w/ brakes, and Freight & Prep. The Hammerhead is $6587 of that retail price, so bear that in mind. The 320 is std, the 340 is $1985. Speed control is standard.

Other popular options would be fiberglass platform, stainless rubrail, cleats, heater.

Hope that helps.

Peter

Considering the Response line is only about 5% of sales, I doubt it. We're "lucky" they make the RLXi. Too many people buying these Buick sized wakeboard/surfing/ANYTHING but footing/slalom boats these days. And, I'm sorry, I already have a house payment...

Edited by areamike

Considering the Response line is only about 5% of sales, I doubt it. We're "lucky" they make the RLXi. Too many people buying these Buick sized wakeboard/surfing/ANYTHING but footing/slalom boats these days. And, I'm sorry, I already have a house payment...

I would predict that my next ski boat will be from someone other than a boat manufacturer in existence now. Maybe a start-up company that manages to purchase the molds for a dedicated ski boat (or ski oriented cross-over like the older Sunsetters) and make a go of it.

I can't really blame Malibu or the others...they have to make whet people are buying. But hopefully, when the big three manufacture only wakeboard/surf boats, one of them will be kind enough to sell their molds to someone who is willing to cater to the skiing market.

I would predict that my next ski boat will be from someone other than a boat manufacturer in existence now. Maybe a start-up company that manages to purchase the molds for a dedicated ski boat (or ski oriented cross-over like the older Sunsetters) and make a go of it.

I can't really blame Malibu or the others...they have to make whet people are buying. But hopefully, when the big three manufacture only wakeboard/surf boats, one of them will be kind enough to sell their molds to someone who is willing to cater to the skiing market.

I know how all you skiers and footers must feel, I too was upset when the stopped making vinyl records and started the CD fad and now Mp3. What next alternative fuel !

Biggrin.gif

just kidding.

I know how all you skiers and footers must feel, I too was upset when the stopped making vinyl records and started the CD fad and now Mp3. What next alternative fuel !

Biggrin.gif

just kidding.

What's next? A cell phone that does everything except make a Phone call?