Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Docking lights

Chilliezax

• 11 months later...
I'm still wondering if somebody knows how to replace the lights up-front.

I am curious to know the answer to this question. In addition, does anyone know if we can replace the halogen docking lights with LEDs?

Do the 08-09 LED docking lights require a cut out? From the photo it looks like it may be surface mount with two screws and you're done. I'm talking about adding them to a boat that was ordered without docking lights.

Sorry for the off topic, but this seems like a good time to ask since others who click the link above will be wondering.

Do the 08-09 LED docking lights require a cut out? From the photo it looks like it may be surface mount with two screws and you're done. I'm talking about adding them to a boat that was ordered without docking lights.

Sorry for the off topic, but this seems like a good time to ask since others who click the link above will be wondering.

Your still going to have to drill and possibly recess a bit the wires :unsure::)

I don't believe it can be done in the stock housing but you can change the whole light assembly if you have some fabrication experience :)

What type of fabrication would be involved to replace the halogens on an '08?

I don't believe it can be done in the stock housing but you can change the whole light assembly if you have some fabrication experience :)

What type of fabrication would be involved to replace the halogens on an '08?

It would all depend on what type of lights you decided to use for the replacement, they would still have to be slightly the same in dimension if not larger than what is installed from the factory.

Lot's of questions to answer:

Yes the halogen docking light bulbs can be replaced, you have to remove and disassemble the light to get to it. It's a standard 55W bulb you can pick up at a hardware store.

As far as i know, there is no LED replacement for LED.

Halogen lights require a fairly large cut out to recess the light housing, you can see the back side of the light in the pictures here: http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1364

LED lights mount flat on the hull, requires one small hole for the two wires and pre-drilling and mounting the two mounting screws. No pictures of the back side, but they are flat on the LED lights: http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=794

They are similar in size but they are a different shape, we haven't converted anybody over to the new style yet so i couldn't tell you if the new LED lights would cover the old halogen holes.

Hope this info helps out! Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Paul

Lot's of questions to answer:

Yes the halogen docking light bulbs can be replaced, you have to remove and disassemble the light to get to it. It's a standard 55W bulb you can pick up at a hardware store.

As far as i know, there is no LED replacement for LED.

Halogen lights require a fairly large cut out to recess the light housing, you can see the back side of the light in the pictures here: http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1364

LED lights mount flat on the hull, requires one small hole for the two wires and pre-drilling and mounting the two mounting screws. No pictures of the back side, but they are flat on the LED lights: http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=794

They are similar in size but they are a different shape, we haven't converted anybody over to the new style yet so i couldn't tell you if the new LED lights would cover the old halogen holes.

Hope this info helps out! Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Paul

That definitely clears some things up. Thanks Paul! :thankyou:

• 14 years later...
LesGOBrandon

Home Depot has 1:1 LED bulbs to replace the docking lights.  15min and back in business.  “50-Watt Equivalent MR16 GU5.3 Bi-Pin 12-Volt Dimmable CEC Compliant LED 90+ CRI Flood Light Bulb Bright White (3-Pack)”