Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gas, $3.75 a gallon by Summer Estimated

auto

Gas Going Higher, duh.  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Will $3.75 gallon gas or higher effect your usage?

• Not at all
    • Reduce spending somewhere else
    • Sell Boat
    • Will not notice
    • I sit at Party Cove and Consume very little gas

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JohnDoe

• 68Slalom

• NorCaliBu

• Malibudude

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

$1.14/litre this morning here in Ottawa. At about 4l/gal thats about $4.56 gallon. At 3.75/4 = $0.94L.... that was our average price two years ago. And our dollar is now at par.

Comments I heard today indicated that we have now passed the $100 threshold, thus it will not be a big deal the next time the price of a barrel surges. Summer driving season should increase the price of crude and gas. Chinese and emerging market demand will create a supply shortage, along with the tightening of supply per OPEC the price should rise for the foreseeable future. That is the "expert opinion" from the talking heads on the radio, reality could be a very different thing.

Guess we can all be happy we saved a few $ shopping for those Chinese goods at WalMart because we will need the $ to fill the Bu with fuel.

That is the "expert opinion" from the talking heads on the radio, reality could be a very different thing.

Only about a month ago these same talking heads had been saying they thought gas would be back in the $2.25-2.50 range at the begining of the summer driving season. Bottom line is nobody knows and quite frankly the whole oil and gas futures market is completely rigged.

Last summer gas on Lake Washington was about $3.75 for regular and $4.15 for premium.

If Joe Boater puts 100 hours per summer on his boat. Most BUs burn approx 5/6 gallons per hour??

500 gallons x $3.00 per gallon = $1,500

500 gallons x $3.75 per gallon = $1,875

I'm not sure I'd sell my boat over $375.00. I might however skip that $3.50 morning coffee in June July and August. Let's just say there are 90 days in June, July and August. 90 x 3.50 = $337.50. If I could get the wife to skip them 2 days a week then whola...

Gas prices are the least of our worries when owning a boat.

Last summer gas on Lake Washington was about $3.75 for regular and $4.15 for premium.

If Joe Boater puts 100 hours per summer on his boat. Most BUs burn approx 5/6 gallons per hour??

500 gallons x $3.00 per gallon = $1,500

500 gallons x $3.75 per gallon = $1,875

I'm not sure I'd sell my boat over $375.00. I might however skip that $3.50 morning coffee in June July and August. Let's just say there are 90 days in June, July and August. 90 x 3.50 = $337.50. If I could get the wife to skip them 2 days a week then whola...

Gas prices are the least of our worries when owning a boat.

I agree...cut the coffee...or you'll just be sittin' IN A VAN, DOWN BY THE RIVER!!!

If you can't afford the gas, you shouldn't own a boat.

That is the "expert opinion" from the talking heads on the radio, reality could be a very different thing.

Only about a month ago these same talking heads had been saying they thought gas would be back in the $2.25-2.50 range at the begining of the summer driving season. Bottom line is nobody knows and quite frankly the whole oil and gas futures market is completely rigged.

I saw the same thing about a month back -- around $2.50

against us: dollar losing value = inflation so prices go up

for us / against us: economy slowing down so less people using oil

i'd say just be prepared to spend a bit more at the pump this summer, but if prices come down then just be pleasantly surprised

Don't forget that our tow vehicles also burn gasoline. I get about 11-12 mpg pulling the boat behind my truck. On a 26 gallon tank that is right at 300 miles. Take a weekend trip and .75 more will cost about 40 bucks more than it did last year. Figure in 2 tanks in the Bu and there goes another $50 more than last year. Thats close to a hundered extra bucks down the tube for the same trip as last year.

Going to our local lake is about 40 miles round trip. Stop and go a lot of the way. I burn a lot of gas just getting to and from the lake. I bet in the nieghborhood of 6 mpg out of the truck.

If you can't afford the gas, you shouldn't own a boat

Look. I can't stand statements like that. I busted my butt for years saving to buy my boat. We try to live as debt free as possible. I have two kids under 6. There is always a Dr.s bill to pay, or shoes and clothes to buy, soccer uniforms, gymnastics lessons, etc. so yes the increase in gas will be felt. It's not a matter of affording the gas. It's just that I would a lot rather spend that extra couple hundred bucks on other things.

To answer the question, we will likely log less hours on the Bu this summer.

Think about us poor people over in the UK. Premium unleaded was £1.06 today per litre. Thats apprximately £9.00 a UK gallon.

Someone said to me today that the UK now officially the highest fuel prices in the WORLD!

I think I will be gettin into my boat and attempting a bit of a dash across the pond to escape!!!

Don't forget that our tow vehicles also burn gasoline. I get about 11-12 mpg pulling the boat behind my truck. On a 26 gallon tank that is right at 300 miles. Take a weekend trip and .75 more will cost about 40 bucks more than it did last year. Figure in 2 tanks in the Bu and there goes another $50 more than last year. Thats close to a hundered extra bucks down the tube for the same trip as last year.

Going to our local lake is about 40 miles round trip. Stop and go a lot of the way. I burn a lot of gas just getting to and from the lake. I bet in the nieghborhood of 6 mpg out of the truck.

Look. I can't stand statements like that. I busted my butt for years saving to buy my boat. We try to live as debt free as possible. I have two kids under 6. There is always a Dr.s bill to pay, or shoes and clothes to buy, soccer uniforms, gymnastics lessons, etc. so yes the increase in gas will be felt. It's not a matter of affording the gas. It's just that I would a lot rather spend that extra couple hundred bucks on other things.

Sorry Lakenut; I didn't mean to offend. I was just goofing off. My sincere apologies. I realize the gas issue hits people and their families pretty hard. My bad.

In regards to the poll, to me

"Not at all" and "Will not notice" are the same.

May I suggest an edit?

Maybe something like....

"Switch to the Darkside" since boarding uses less gas than skiing or footin' Biggrin.gif

Sounds like another record year for oil company profits Clap.gif I sure hope they make around $500 Trillion this year Thumbup.gif If anyone deserves it, they do for all the hard work that their CEO's do

Whistling.gif

Edited by SCOTTDOMINE
Think about us poor people over in the UK. Premium unleaded was £1.06 today per litre. Thats apprximately £9.00 a UK gallon.

Someone said to me today that the UK now officially the highest fuel prices in the WORLD!

I think I will be gettin into my boat and attempting a bit of a dash across the pond to escape!!!

Time to move and welcome to the board :)

"Switch to the Darkside" since boarding uses less gas than skiing or footin' Biggrin.gif

NEVER! And how do you figure? There are two RPM ranges that burn the most GPH: WOT and when you have your bow pointed five feet in the air. Tease2.gif

NEVER! And how do you figure? There are two RPM ranges that burn the most GPH: WOT and when you have your bow pointed five feet in the air. Tease2.gif

Plus, loaded with 800lbs of extra weight :unsure:

Sorry Lakenut; I didn't mean to offend. I was just goofing off. My sincere apologies. I realize the gas issue hits people and their families pretty hard. My bad.

I am also certain that no offense was intended. In the past, we have seem comments from owners of brand new $70,000 boats pulled with brand new $50,000 SUV's crying over spending an extra few hundred bucks over the entire summer. Those are the comments that make a guy chuckle. :unsure:

Jack, come to the Darkside.....you cannot fight it......

Gas is still cheaper than beer and bottled water, so as was stated in earlier posts on this thread you can cut back in a few other places to keep the bu full of fuel.

I don't get to use the boats enough. If there is a chance to use them, I will no matter what the price of gas gets to. It will have no bearing on use. On vacation, which is 3 weeks, I budget for a tank a day.

"Switch to the Darkside" since boarding uses less gas than skiing or footin'

Boarding uses less fuel? Crazy.gif Hate to break it to you but... No.gif

We go out and ski three sets each (X 3 skiers) and burn about 6 gallons.

Poll needs an option of:

Cut back (eliminate altogether) cruising, tubing,... Yes.gif