Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

trans fluid

5oclocksomewhere

I am getting conflicting info , I have an 07 VTX monsoon, hurth ZF IV trans , on the trans and in the malibu manual it says 15-40 oil , in the hurth and indmar manual it says ATF , what is every one using ?

Edited by 5oclocksomewhere

Trans usually takes AFT and if I'm not mistaken it's Dextron III, someone with more knowledge will chime in soon

Clap.gif that is what is great about this site.

Edited by 68Slalom

For the tranny you need to use any automatic transmission fluid (it's red). Now for the a V-Drive you can use 10-30 Castrol

For the tranny you need to use any automatic transmission fluid (it's red). Now for the a V-Drive you can use 10-30 Castrol

Plus1.gif yes, i think i read something similar in my 06 vride manual that was confusing. but yes, put the dextron (red) in the tranny and 10-30 or 10-40 in the motor.

Are you sure it's red, they make some really good blue stuff Whistling.gif

Alright everyone, hold up.

On a V-drive boat, there are 3 (major) peices of equipment that use 3 different lubrications:

1) Monsoon Motor: 10w-40 oil

2) Transmission: ATF III

3) V-drive: straight SAE 30 motor oil

the fluid I took out of the trans was ATF [ it was red] and the fluid from the V drive was red, there is a red sticker on the trans and V drive that say ATF, I put Rotella 15-40 in the engine', the whole job was easy, they have me a little confused on the fluids though.

On a V-drive boat, there are 3 (major) peices of equipment that use 3 different lubrications:

Alright everyone hold up again.

If your boat is an 06 or better you have the new v-drive/tranny combo which has two fill ports, they correct fluid is labeled by the dipsticks but to the best of my knowledge it is ATF Dextron III.

Thanks for the help, this is my first bu, thought you guys could help and you did .

Edited by 5oclocksomewhere

If your boat is an 06 or better you have the new v-drive/tranny combo which has two fill ports, they correct fluid is labeled by the dipsticks but to the best of my knowledge it is ATF Dextron III.

You are correct except for the '06 with an 8.1. It still used the older setup. Not sure about the '07 and '08 8.1s?

I think they still may be running the old setup...don't see too many of them around my parts, we don't usually sell many 23' boats since the VLX was redesigned so the only thing I see a 8.1 in is a 247 or the 25' and I haven't seen too many of them either!

And the Monsoon is 15-40.

5oclock, how many hours does your boat have on it? The Rotella is synthetic, no?

5oclock, how many hours does your boat have on it? The Rotella is synthetic, no?

Rotella comes in both conventional and synthetic. Conv. is a 15w-40, syn. is 5w-40. Both excellent.

Edited by electricjohn

It has 13 on it , no regular rotella is conventional , though they do make a synthetic 5-40 that I will use after 100 hours, if I can hold out that long , I like syn oils