Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

board suggestions for 6 y/o daughter

ilovetrains

I think my daughter is going to want to try and board this year. My instinct is to skip trying to teach her to ski first. Daddy does not ski. Daddy's friends don't ski, so she shows no interest at all, but she would like to board.

What should I look for for the easiest board to show her how?

I think my daughter is going to want to try and board this year. My instinct is to skip trying to teach her to ski first. Daddy does not ski. Daddy's friends don't ski, so she shows no interest at all, but she would like to board.

How old is your Daughter, size, weight?? This all makes a huge difference. I have 4 kids from 5yrs to 17yrs. and they all board and love it. It takes a little while for them to get the hang of it but the younger you start the better! You may want to try a knee board or surfboard first. Getting up on a surfboard is almost identical to a wakeboard. Any shorter kids wakebord will be fine. If she is like most girls, the color is the MOST important thing! My 11 yr old daughter rides this board3269.1.jpg and she loves it

Joe

All three of my kids were wakeboarding by 6, and we've got no skiing experience. They all had skiied on trainer skis, so they were used to the feeling of being on top of the water, but I don't think the skills are necessary to translate..

Make sure it's a small board( we've got CWB Worms- 128), and that the bindings are comfy. The hardest part for the little ones is leaning forward upon take off, and having trouble flipping themselves onto thier backs to try again. 12-14 mph is plenty for speed until they get used to it. You don't need much past idle to get them out of the water..

Good luck.

small board for a 6 year old.

you can go with a cheap board they all work

dont go for the cheap boots, they kill the feet.

the more the boots cost the better they feel

Here is the board and boots that my six year old daughter rides. She just learned last summer and never learned to ski first. She did knee board a little though at very slow speeds.

http://www.buywake.com/catalog/detail/qxr8D

http://www.buywake.com/catalog/detail/uNkck - 07 version of these.

Good luck. It will be the best feeling in the world when she learns to ride. Trust me.

Just get her a "real" board. Thumbup.gif

This is Dominic my son at 6. He's more excited about and addicted to "skiing" than I am - and that's saying something. He does have ALOT of fun showing up all the teenage wakeboarders - and actually it's pretty cool because they always cheer him on when he goes by. Yahoo.gif

Dom-Going-Big.JPG

Don't get me wrong - he also kneeboards and tubes once in awhile. But he's like his Dad - if you can't get higher than the tower, what's the point of riding? Dontknow.gif (just kidding)

Actually, no matter what they ride, it is just the coolest feeling when they get it figured out and then ask when it's their turn! Pretty soon they are begging to go to the lake and go skiing. Now I just need him to get old enough to drive the boat for his Dad! Biggrin.gif

How old is your Daughter, size, weight?? This all makes a huge difference. I have 4 kids from 5yrs to 17yrs. and they all board and love it. It takes a little while for them to get the hang of it but the younger you start the better! You may want to try a knee board or surfboard first. Getting up on a surfboard is almost identical to a wakeboard. Any shorter kids wakebord will be fine. If she is like most girls, the color is the MOST important thing! My 11 yr old daughter rides this board3269.1.jpg and she loves it

Joe

She would LOVE that board!

She is 6, about 45 lbs and 46 inches. She is not the most athletic, though she loves to dance (tap, jazz, drill team, cheerleading and ballet) and I think she has the balance needed, but maybe not the upper body strength. Yet. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a fairly inexpensive Hydroslide board that is 119cm in length for my son to start on and he was riding at 7 I think. When he was 5 and 6 he just skied (Dad wakeboards some but is mostly a skier). I am thinking of upgrading the board for him this year as he has started to improve and he does like it.