Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Test drives

djkoma1

I'm in Canada and about to purchase a new boat (hopefully a Malibu) to replace my 04' Sportster LX.

Now it's frozen out here so no test drives for at least 4 months but I gotta buy in the next month to get boat show deals.

Any idea how and where I can test drive in the next few weeks?

I'm waiting for an answer from Malibu for a test drive at their Tennesse plant (found out I could fly there for less than 300$) but I don't know if they do such things.

Also I'm wondering if any southern/eastern USA dealers would be kind enough to let me test drive eventhough I will purchase out of my local dealer in Canada and not from them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!!!!!

You would probably have more luck getting a member here to take you out in whatever boat you are thinking about. Putting you in a test drive takes time out of the dealer's day and time is $$. You might be able to pay for the time involved though. If you post up here what you are looking for and how you will use it, I'm sure you get lots of advice and maybe an offer or two to test drive.

I'm looking to test drive a VLX and VTX as well as an X2 and X15... if time/lucky, I'd like to try a Supra 20SSV and 22 SSV. CC is out of the race, too expensive for me!!! As you can see i'm not settled for the size of the boat.

The reasons I really want to try the boat is to see how smooth (or not) it rides, how fast ballasts fill up, how it handles in choppy water and/or with full ballasts, I want to take a look at the actual wake (not looking at pic in wakeboard mag), get a feel of the transmission, get a feel of how precise cruise controles are, feel how fast the 340/350 HP pushes the boat out of the water, decibels while moving, rattles, get a feel of the interior space while on the water etc.

Everyone seems to have their opinion but no one agrees! I want to make sure that what I'm going to buy next will fit MY needs! I'm a very compulsive buyer but this time i won't make that mistake.

Anybody else got an idea on how I can pull this off in winter (i'm ready to travel... but ideally to one place only for all test drives)?

Edited by djkoma1

Sounds like you're going to be waiting till the water thaws...chances are slim you'll be able to find folks to help you test drive all those boats knowing there's no chance of a sale before you head back to the great white north.

I'm in Canada and about to purchase a new boat (hopefully a Malibu) to replace my 04' Sportster LX.

Now it's frozen out here so no test drives for at least 4 months but I gotta buy in the next month to get boat show deals.

I'm waiting for an answer from Malibu for a test drive at their Tennesse plant (found out I could fly there for less than 300$) but I don't know if they do such things.

Also I'm wondering if any southern/eastern USA dealers would be kind enough to let me test drive eventhough I will purchase out of my local dealer in Canada and not from them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!!!!!

Hey I am in the same boat as you .. No pund intended, I live in NH and all is frozen here. I am planning on going down toTN Plant to see some boats and test drive. I heard there is a river near the plan were they will let you test drive the boat. Set things up with your local dealer with TN Plant. I am planning on flying out of NH in the next 2 weeks. Maybe we can meet on a Friday or Saturday there. Lets keep in touch. I am interested in a 247 LSV or 23 LSV wakesetter.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave

You would probably have more luck getting a member here to take you out in whatever boat you are thinking about. Putting you in a test drive takes time out of the dealer's day and time is $$. You might be able to pay for the time involved though. If you post up here what you are looking for and how you will use it, I'm sure you get lots of advice and maybe an offer or two to test drive.

+1

Where in Canada?

Just work it. Try and get a hold of a factory rep, regional sales manager etc. They will set you up with a dealer willing to take you out in those two boats, even if you have to put out a few loonies for gas and their time. Obviously, if you are willing to fly somewhere you are a for-real buyer. You should start with your local dealers and pressure them to set it up, going though their channels to find an accomodating dealer or factory rep.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Edited by TheBlackPearl

It has been getting better in AZ. We had mostly 70's this past weekend and it should be getting warmer soon. That would be warm in our standards.

Phoenix has MC, Malibu, Supra, Mooba, Nautique, Tige, and more all in town. There is usually an in-lake boat show where you can ride and drive them. This show should be in the next month or so. If you have any interest in that.

The boat show, in the west valley, is at Lake Pleasant. Hotels and shopping, in town, are within 20 min of the lake and it is easy to get to.

°F°CWeather

Phoenix, AZMostly Cloudy, 54°Tuesday

71° / 50°Wednesday

67° / 48°Thursday

65° / 46°Friday

66° / 47°

Call Martin Equipment in Edmonton to test drive a new Mastercraft.....easy fella's it's also my ski-doo dealer.....i've seen pictures where they test drive them on a lake called Wabamun in December, the lake has a power plant on it and they use lake water to cool the turbines so once it's pumped back it's quite warm so that corner of the lake never freezes and they do lake tests on that smaller thawed portion. The only thing i don't get is it's an hour drive from the lake to the dealer plenty of time to freeze up the water systems, unless they do a quick winterize in the parking lot before driving it back. Dontknow.gif Might be an option for ya!!!

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!!!!!

Hey I am in the same boat as you .. No pund intended, I live in NH and all is frozen here. I am planning on going down toTN Plant to see some boats and test drive. I heard there is a river near the plan were they will let you test drive the boat. Set things up with your local dealer with TN Plant. I am planning on flying out of NH in the next 2 weeks. Maybe we can meet on a Friday or Saturday there. Lets keep in touch. I am interested in a 247 LSV or 23 LSV wakesetter.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave

If you live in NH, you might be better off taking a ride to East Coast Flightcraft in Middleton, MA. They are a great dealer and do test drives on the Merrimack River, which gets frozen if we have a really cold period, but usually doesn't stay for long. That's where we bought our boat from and they were great to work with. We called on a 40 degree day when it was threatening rain and they hauled the boat down to the river and met us out for a test drive (this was in March of last year I think). If you go, ask for Rick or Keith, they both know their way around a Malibu and were great to us.

Check out he Malibu website. They just announced the Test Drive Day for the spring.

I saw that but it would be too latre for the boat show deals.... :o(

Update:

I'm surprised and disapointed at the same time. None of the 3 factories in Knoxville TN (Supra, MC and Bu) I've been trying to reach bothered answering so far...

My MC sales rep says he has a friend who owns a dealer in FL and with sales volume there we're pretty sure they'll have a BU and an MC to try out. But no news from him either.

Bu dealer is still not willing to help (trying to avoid the subject every time we talk) - even if I own a Bu purchased from them (3rd... so I would think they know I'm serious!!).

Supra dealer is out of the loop, I narrowed down my choice to MC and Bu.

... and I thought it was enough of a competitive market to have good "pre-sale service"!!! I was wrong i guess.

Cry.gif

Check out he Malibu website. They just announced the Test Drive Day for the spring.

I saw that but it would be too latre for the boat show deals.... :o(

Update:

I'm surprised and disapointed at the same time. None of the 3 factories in Knoxville TN (Supra, MC and Bu) I've been trying to reach bothered answering so far...

My MC sales rep says he has a friend who owns a dealer in FL and with sales volume there we're pretty sure they'll have a BU and an MC to try out. But no news from him either.

Bu dealer is still not willing to help (trying to avoid the subject every time we talk) - even if I own a Bu purchased from them (3rd... so I would think they know I'm serious!!).

Supra dealer is out of the loop, I narrowed down my choice to MC and Bu.

... and I thought it was enough of a competitive market to have good "pre-sale service"!!! I was wrong i guess.

Cry.gif

Contact Pirates Cove Marine in TN - they will gladly take you out for a test drive! They have a toll free number to call too!

I'm looking to test drive a VLX and VTX as well as an X2 and X15... if time/lucky, I'd like to try a Supra 20SSV and 22 SSV. CC is out of the race, too expensive for me!!! As you can see i'm not settled for the size of the boat.

The reasons I really want to try the boat is to see how smooth (or not) it rides, how fast ballasts fill up, how it handles in choppy water and/or with full ballasts, I want to take a look at the actual wake (not looking at pic in wakeboard mag), get a feel of the transmission, get a feel of how precise cruise controles are, feel how fast the 340/350 HP pushes the boat out of the water, decibels while moving, rattles, get a feel of the interior space while on the water etc.

Everyone seems to have their opinion but no one agrees! I want to make sure that what I'm going to buy next will fit MY needs! I'm a very compulsive buyer but this time i won't make that mistake.

Anybody else got an idea on how I can pull this off in winter (i'm ready to travel... but ideally to one place only for all test drives)?

really, does any of that matter, while everyone has their own opinion, your purchase will come down to which one looks the best in your eyes (ever hear of the joke about the rich guy who gave 3 women some money to see they would handle it and afterwards based his decision on which one to marry by the size of her breasts).

Both MC and Malibu are good boats and I assume you will find one better at some things and the other better at some different things. From your research to date, which one do you like better?

Both are new boats, could even have the same transmission. The difference between PP and Malibu Cruise are well discussed and either one is a good option. decibals, are you going to test boats with and without STE's? Pushing the boat out of the water to your specific tastes has as much to do with prop selection as 340/350hp. What kind of conditions do you expect to test drive in, if the water is rough the ride will obviously be rougher than a calm water test drive. Put some ballast in the bow and the ride will improve. rattles, i don't think so (least not in the new bu). Interior space while on the water....really.

anyway, if you feel the need to go thru all that hassle (you will still be conflicted afterwards) to end up buying the one you know you want to buy right now, then good luck with that.

really, does any of that matter, while everyone has their own opinion, your purchase will come down to which one looks the best in your eyes (ever hear of the joke about the rich guy who gave 3 women some money to see they would handle it and afterwards based his decision on which one to marry by the size of her breasts).

Both MC and Malibu are good boats and I assume you will find one better at some things and the other better at some different things. From your research to date, which one do you like better?

Both are new boats, could even have the same transmission. The difference between PP and Malibu Cruise are well discussed and either one is a good option. decibals, are you going to test boats with and without STE's? Pushing the boat out of the water to your specific tastes has as much to do with prop selection as 340/350hp. What kind of conditions do you expect to test drive in, if the water is rough the ride will obviously be rougher than a calm water test drive. Put some ballast in the bow and the ride will improve. rattles, i don't think so (least not in the new bu). Interior space while on the water....really.

anyway, if you feel the need to go thru all that hassle (you will still be conflicted afterwards) to end up buying the one you know you want to buy right now, then good luck with that.

I'm sorry but would you buy a car without test driving it????????!!!!!!! I did that before and regretted it.

Bmw, Benz, Audi and Lexus are all great cars and all in the same price range but how would you choose? Just by the look of it? I don't think so! I have to feel it!

My last purchase was based on financing more than anything and I thought it wouldn't matter because they're all high end boats and they all looked good. In the end it didn't suit my needs.

Edited by djkoma1
Not much in it for a dealer that you're not going to buy from. Time spent on you could be rewarded better with a local wanting to demo/buy.

I know, that's why my first option is not a dealer but the factories...

Not much in it for a dealer that you're not going to buy from. Time spent on you could be rewarded better with a local wanting to demo/buy.

I know, that's why my first option is not a dealer but the factories...

I called this one from the get-go. The factories aren't set up as "come and try out all the new model" places...it's a production environment where they build boats. Personally for me, I think you're somewhat unrealistic to expect dealers from just anywhere to invest their time, inventory, etc. so you can head back to the great white north and take advantage of the boat show pricing. If I was a dealer and was faced with helping you or a customer that could help pay the bills, you'd lose.

I've bought 5 new boats in my life and I honestly believe that I got as good of a deal as any 'boat show special'. My suggestion for what it's worth - wait for the ice to melt, go drive the boats at the the dealer that's going to get you cash if you choose their brand, and strike up your best deal.

I'm sorry but would you buy a car without test driving it????????!!!!!!! I did that before and regretted it.

Bmw, Benz, Audi and Lexus are all great cars and all in the same price range but how would you choose? Just by the look of it? I don't think so! I have to feel it!

My last purchase was based on financing more than anything and I thought it wouldn't matter because they're all high end boats and they all looked good. In the end it didn't suit my needs.

maybe that explains my remarks. My last 2 vehicles have been purchased sans (french for "without") test drive. A 2001 Bonnyville SSEI and my latest ride a Cadillac CTS. I studied the specs and options of the competitions similar priced vehicles and then bought the one with the biggest breasts..I mean the one that looked best in my eyes.

If you bought a boat that did not suit your needs, and your purchase decision was based on financing, then you bought the wrong boat no matter how it looked.

If the MC looks as good to you as the Malibu (I don't see how that is possible) then you have a tough decision to make. But trying to lake test 4 new boats in various lake conditions and if you want to pick the options and colors, then you are probably not going to get a new boat this season.

If you want help picking your boat then describe what exactly your uses are. you will get opinions about whether the vtx or vlx will best suit your needs and do the same on the other tmc site and you will get opinions on which MC will suit you best.

good luck.