Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stargazer Link

jjackkrash

Funny that you posted this. I just finished talking with Max at Skier to Skier about this very thing and the testing that he has put into this unit. The write was right in line with what I was told and I had asked how this would help wakeboarders. Max said that with the SG you would have a much more even pull (speed) then with wakeboard pro and like mentioned in the write up when making turns you will not need to use the throttle to hold speed. I also asked about being on a river and dealing with the current. In this case the SG was using more of the GPS mode and would keep your speed very close to what you have it set at. The paddle wheel would only be feeding info of speed change and not true speed. I'm not sure about this part but if some one was to install the SG onto a wakeboard boat and didn't need the timer (yes all skiers need that timer) you may be able to buy the SG with out it in the future and in turn saving you some $$$. Also if your going from nothing and was thinking about buying the PP wakeboard pro this is not that much more.

As mentioned in other posts Skier to Skier has great prices and we TheMalibuCrew do qualify as a clue for the discounts.

We do most of our skiing on a river with a typical current of roughly 2 miles per hour. That means (I think) that going downstream at 34 on the PP speedo means we are really going 36 in true (GPS) speed. Going upstream, 34 on the speedo (as input by the paddlewheel or the pitot) is truly 32 mph on the GPS. If SG is going to use GPS as the primary source of speed, won't that create havoc in the river course?? The more I think about it the more confused I get...

SG will take what is true speed and the river will not have affect that. From what your saying right now you have to change your PP speed going up stream and down stream. With the SG you would keep the same speed no matter what the river is traveling.

But if you set the SG for 34 mph, then you will feel like you are effectively going through the course at 36 mph going upstream (since you have to add the current flow to the speed) and going 32 mph downstream. Remember, the water is flowing, but the bouys are stationary. I will make my passes downstream <G>!!

That's not entirely true.

You will be moving over the water at the speeds mentioned, but will be rounding the bouys at a consistent speed/time since the bouys are not moving.

If you don't adjust your current PP to account for the current, you will be going through the course at the equivalent pace of 2MPH slower when going upstream and 2MPH faster when going downstream. Your gate to gate times would show it.

But if you set the SG for 34 mph, then you will feel like you are effectively going through the course at 36 mph going upstream (since you have to add the current flow to the speed) and going 32 mph downstream. Remember, the water is flowing, but the bouys are stationary. I will make my passes downstream <G>!!

You're correct, but in order to complete a pass within tolerances that's just the way it is.

From a previous response of mine regarding the same issue with ZO...

Take the current out of the equation just for a second. A slalom course is around 850' long from gate-to-gate. Assuming you're running the course at 36mph with actual times that means you've got 16.08 to cover that 850'. This is a simple equation that unfortunately doesn't account for current.

Now add your example of a river flowing at 2 mph downstream. You still have to get through the course in 16.08 seconds or you will be out of tolerance. So, while going downstream the boat has to be slowed down to a boat speed of 34 mph, which will equate to a land speed of 36 mph with the current. With a GPS-based system like ZO (or PP SG) that means dropping the boat speed, which ZO (or PP SG) does for you automatically. With an RPM-based system like PP classic that means manually taking out 200 or so RPMs, which still just results in dropping the boat speed.

As you pointed out, that does mean that in your example the skier is traveling across the water at either 34 mph or 38 mph, but it's still a land-based speed of 36 mph, which is what is required to travel 850' in 16.08 seconds.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Mike

This has pretty much been said, but I figured I'd add what I read in the manual for what it's worth. As was mentioned, and as most of you probably know from previous perfect pass systems, wakeboard is speed based with input from the paddlewheel, which measures speed over water. Speed over water is what wakeboarders and trick skiers are interested in. Wakeboard and Trick modes operate similarly. Their speed is based on the paddle wheel. However, according to the manual, the paddlewheel speed is updated by gps several times per second. So basically, the paddle wheel is being calibrated for speed over ground and will not accurately reflect speed over water in a river current. So adjustment would be necessary. I only regurgitate what has already been said because it was my initial (and uninformed impression) that WB mode would not seek to update from the GPS nearly so often because speed over water is what's important. All this is from reading the manual. I have yet to play with speed mode on my boat.

By the way, Perfect Pass has the SG manual and two other documents in their download section as of today.

www.perfectpass.com