Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

swim platform weight limit

RedOwl

So my wife and I are in the middle of boat shopping right now and we went to a somewhat local Malibu dealer the other day to shop a little more. The dealer was terrific by the way...they definitely knew their stuff and could/would have talked about it for hours)

I am used to the fact that malibus are well made, but with that said I saw something that really surprised me:

two of the employees were working on the back of an LSV and were both standing on the rear platform and there was another guy kneeling on part of it!

Maybe this isn't surprising to all of you, but as someone new to the boating world, I would have certainly assumed that the platforms weren't designed for that kind of weight.

Am I crazy? Were they crazy? What's the weight limit on one of those things?

You can take the platform off by yourself, but it is alittle harder to put on by yourself. I am new to the malibu platform, so maybe there is an easier way by yourself. It is much heavier then my old teak platform. It should be a one man job, and I am sure it is once you get the hang of it.

All you have to do is pull a couple pins to remove the platform. As said above, putting it back on is easier with two. Unless the other person is your wife. . . :lol:

They seem to hold an awful lot of weight. I've had 5 fairly large guys setting around the edges of mine and have never had a problem. And, yes, they are extremely easy to take on and off!!!!!!!!!

Yes, it is easy enough to remove by yourself, putting it back on is a bit tougher, until you figure it out.

Balance it on the wedge, lift one side gently on, and then slowly the other side. Wiggle it and "pop" it is on.

NOTE though, if you have a wedge it sticks out pretty far. I think you only save approx 1 ft by taking off the swim platform...

I'm not sure how the newer platforms attach. My '01 (teak) has two sliders. The key for this being a one man job is you have to raise both sides evenly or it will bind, at which point you have to push it back down and start over. I take mine off and on every time I use the boat for garage space (2-4 times per week). Periodic spray with WD-40 helps keep it clean and lubed so it slides a little easier. You also have to be careful when you lift off that last inch or so, or you'll end up with a vertical line scar in the gel coat right above the brackets. :Doh:

As for weight, obviously you've seen first hand they can hold a lot. However it's a pretty common complaint to see spider web cracks in the gel coat where the platform brackets attach to the boat. Heavily loading the platform with the boat out of water causes this. So, I try to limit how much I put on there while the boat is on the trailer.

Balancing it on the wedge works great. I would try and muscle it on and off, almost dropping it a few times, thinking there must be a better way. One hot summer day, I was trying to put it on and sweating like a pig when my 8 year old son says, "dad why don't you put it on that thing that goes up and down (wedge), it seems like it would be easier". He was right, worked better.

The only reason it's a little more difficult to put back on is you have to line the pins up or it binds. I find that it is an easy job by myself if I sit on the ground, then lift the platform up and slide it on. This way I can see where the brackets need to meet the pins, instead of blindly fishing around trying to get them to line up. And a little grease once a year helps out, too.

I see no difference between load limit on water or trailer as the platform is above the water when floating. Only difference would be floatation added by platform once the weight gets it in the water and would guess it is not much.

Are they easy enough to take on/off that you'd be willing to do it 2-3 times a week?

Do it every time we take the boat out. Yes.gif Twice this past week-end. Clap.gif

It's heavy but I've got a handle on it and able to move it by myself.

:unsure: Heavy? Maybe the platform for my little Sporty is smaller because I would not call it heavy. No.gif Do things get heavier once you no longer have your testicles? Whistling.gif

:lol:Tease2.gif

I open up my wedge door and put one hand in there to lift if off - works pretty well.

Thats what I do and I thats every time to boat go's out. Just be a man and grow some Whistling.gif

We've had a lot of weight on there. Hundreds of pounds, 3-4 full grown men. No worries.

I will have to look up some party pics with 5 people standing on the back. I have had 4 people with out a problem.