Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Summer lake wetslip storage questions

snowrider

So far we have stored our boat on the trailer. We may have an opportunity to keep the boat in a wetslip at the marina this summer. Curious on opinions from others on maintenance issues to keeping the boat in the water all summer. The benefits seems awesome, but what about the downsides. Thanks a lot.

Depending on where you live and the water conditions it may not be such a good idea to leave the boat in the water. Especially if you get water temps over 80 degrees for an extended period of time. Hull blistering can occur and there is no way to undo it, short of having the whole hull wet sanded and gel coat reapplied.

I have never been a fan of wetslips for performance boats.

Every boat I've owned has been kept on the water for weeks at a time during the summer with no blistering problems. The only problem we ever had was the slip did not have any power so the boat got a little dirty.

I read recently where it was recommended that the boat be pulled out every couple of weeks & cleaned & dried.

BTW, I know of a guy who got blisters on his hull from the wet trailer bunks. He couldn't even see them when the boat was on the trailer, only when it was in the water.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
So far we have stored our boat on the trailer. We may have an opportunity to keep the boat in a wetslip at the marina this summer. Curious on opinions from others on maintenance issues to keeping the boat in the water all summer. The benefits seems awesome, but what about the downsides. Thanks a lot.

Due to gelcoat discoloration, osmosis(blistering) and algae growth, it is not recommended that you leave your boat moored for long periods of time. If your boat will be moored in freash or saltwater for extended periods of time, you should do the following:

1.) Haul-out and clean your boat regularly (every 14 to 21 days). Use soap, water and plenty of elbow grease.

2.) Apply wax after cleaning

I have kept my boats on the water all summer long for the past 4 years. Last year was the first with the Malibu. I haven't had any problems with blistering. It doesn't get that dirty if you take care of it. I always wipe it down before putting the cover on at the end of the day. Keeping moisture out of the interior is a slight downside because you have to cover it right up when you leave which may leave a wet carpet covered up and in the sun until the next time you go out, but I haven't had a problem with mold or mildew or any smells yet. I take it out probably once every 3-4 weeks to give the hull a good cleaning. I don't wax the bottom of the hull, I thought we weren't supposed to do that? Don't we also have a lifetime hull warranty?

IMO Wax on the bottom, for a wetslip storage boat, is a matter of a little bit of speed or water blisters.

I can't see speed being a factor since our boats only go 45ish. But you will forever notice the blisters.