Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power wedge VS Manual wedge

LNK89

hey

My family is looking at buying a 2007 malibu wakesetter VTX and we cant decide if we should get the power wedge or the manual one. any recomendations or feedback would be great. Also I want to put tower speakers on the boat and I was wondering what all is required do i need a amp and sub or can i just have the speakers themselves ? any recomendations for speakers ?

Thanks

I hardly use my manual wedge. However, if I ordered a boat I would get the power wedge mainly for resale aspects and I hear it helps to shape the surf wake.

Lots of options on tower speakers, please read through the stereo forum it will be time well spent.

Welcome to the site.

Edited by johnsvt

I have the manual wedge on mine. It's works great, however it's always a pain to go back and raise or lower it. Sometimes it's difficult to put down without getting in the water. I would go power all the way.

hey

My family is looking at buying a 2007 malibu wakesetter VTX and we cant decide if we should get the power wedge or the manual one. any recomendations or feedback would be great. Also I want to put tower speakers on the boat and I was wondering what all is required do i need a amp and sub or can i just have the speakers themselves ? any recomendations for speakers ?

Thanks

Aren't you limited to what comes with the colors that are in stock on 2007s? Honestly, I could never figure out why the wedge wasn't a power wedge from day 1, it's not like the technology wasn't available. We went power wedge, obviously. It would help resale.

Consider the cost, a power wedge is about $2500 vs. manual $1000. We went with the free floating manual polished SS. Very easy to engage and disengage. Clap.gifYou can see my gallery for pics

We have the free floating manual wedge and would 2nd its ease of use. No issues lowering and raising the wedge from the access point on the swimdeck. One of the pins fell out which was a hassle until the replacement pin arrived, but the wedge was still functional.

If it's an '07 & you're buying an in stock model (which should be the only way to get an '07), you won't have a choice on the power wedge. Any boat that doesn't come from the factory with a power wedge cannot be retrofitted, & Malibu won't sell the parts to do it.

I wrote up some thoughts on the free floating wedge & how it compares with the old fixed wedge here.

Only downside I can see to the power wedge other than extra cost is reliance on the electronics, mine crapped out twice last year both times at about 45 degrees, boat was rendered usless as it would only go about 8mph wide open because of the orientation where it died. I had to cut the power leads and jump straight to 12v and ground to retract then I had no wedge for 2 weeks while on holidays. If a ram stuck you would have to dissassemble the wedge on the water. This year I ordered with the power wedge again as it is such a nice option but I am packing tools for a failure.

I have the power wedge and really like it. I haven't had problems with it though so I'm still honeymooning. The shape and size of both wakeboarding and surf wakes can be changed on the fly. At this point, I'd do it over again.

As others have said, you'll have to settle for what's on the boat for an in-stock model. If I were to order I'd get the PW it'll do everything that the floating wedge will but not have to deal with getting back there. I like the fact that I control the wedge and if I do forget it I don't have to climb over everyone to deal w/ it.