Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Break in the Weather

obski

We finally had a break in the weather today and managed to get out on the river. It was great to be back out on the water, but my muscles were telling me it has been a while. We were the only ones out wakeboarding, though we did see a couple of jet skis. The water was great, but cold - that's why we have dry suits and gloves! I don't know what the water temp was as my water temp gauge was on the fritz. I'll have to see what that is about, but everything else was working flawlessly. According to online data, the water temp is right at 45F - it felt like it.

Here is my younger son and one of our regular crew:

P1010177.jpg

P1010182.jpg

We made it out today as well. We've been a little preoccupied with this, & had to take advantage of the recent warm temperatures to get the foundation in:

post-1-1203311536_thumb.jpg

And when we left, our front yard & the road out looked like this (the clearest any of it has looked in some time):

post-1-1203311579_thumb.jpg post-1-1203311587_thumb.jpg

But when we arrived at the lake, it was like this:

post-1-1203311595_thumb.jpg post-1-1203311628_thumb.jpg

RJ really enjoyed the new Bullets:

post-1-1203311613_thumb.jpg

When we left, it was beautiful:

post-1-1203311636_thumb.jpg

We were flirting with the 100 degree rule all day - water temps ranged from 46-49 where we were riding & air temps topped out at 52. It was 36 when we left the house, & 29 when we pulled back in this evening. It was a great day, & felt so good to get a bit of a respite between storms. More appear to be coming, so I'll have a bit more time to get some projects done on the boat before spring truly arrives.

Thumbup.gif I got out today as well. Clap.gif Going again tomorrow. Yahoo.gif
You won't be inside watching car racing??? Crazy.gif

There was a car race today? Dontknow.gif

Two ski days in a row... Yahoo.gif ...feel the burn. Biggrin.gif

We made it out today as well. We've been a little preoccupied with this, & had to take advantage of the recent warm temperatures to get the foundation in:

post-1-1203311536_thumb.jpg

And when we left, our front yard & the road out looked like this (the clearest any of it has looked in some time):

post-1-1203311579_thumb.jpg post-1-1203311587_thumb.jpg

But when we arrived at the lake, it was like this:

post-1-1203311595_thumb.jpg post-1-1203311628_thumb.jpg

RJ really enjoyed the new Bullets:

post-1-1203311613_thumb.jpg

When we left, it was beautiful:

post-1-1203311636_thumb.jpg

We were flirting with the 100 degree rule all day - water temps ranged from 46-49 where we were riding & air temps topped out at 52. It was 36 when we left the house, & 29 when we pulled back in this evening. It was a great day, & felt so good to get a bit of a respite between storms. More appear to be coming, so I'll have a bit more time to get some projects done on the boat before spring truly arrives.

Glad you got to get out in this little break in the weather too. LBC looks great. I know exactly where you took those pics.

I can't believe the Willamette is colder than LBC. I thought about the 100 deg rule. I think we were at 45 water and 53 air. Close

The coldest that I've ever seen the lake is 45. I suspect that because of its depth it holds some of its heat. It was as low as I've ever seen it & they've re-worked the ramp at Cove Palisades. They now have lanes to use & docks that help define the lanes, but the docks are fixed because the lake doesn't fluctuate too much & the very end was just barely in enough water to get to. It's hairy to sit there in 2 feet of water with the depth finder screaming at you while people hurry aboard. It was also so low that in order to launch the trailer dropped off of the concrete. No problems for us, but you could see where other trailers had bottomed out on the rocks. If we had a lowrider trailer, it could have been a different story.

This summer will be interesting on that ramp. I can see what they were trying to achieve & it will solve some problems, but at the same time introduce a new set of difficulties.

Poo River is cold! I've only been on it a few times, but it seems like even at the height of summer it doesn't exactly get warm.

Nice Pictures.

We were up on the delta all weekend and it was GLASS! Unfortunately, the 247 is still in Merced Cry.gif

The water here is around 46`F and the air topped out at 67`F on Sat.

The coldest that I've ever seen the lake is 45. I suspect that because of its depth it holds some of its heat. It was as low as I've ever seen it & they've re-worked the ramp at Cove Palisades. They now have lanes to use & docks that help define the lanes, but the docks are fixed because the lake doesn't fluctuate too much & the very end was just barely in enough water to get to. It's hairy to sit there in 2 feet of water with the depth finder screaming at you while people hurry aboard. It was also so low that in order to launch the trailer dropped off of the concrete. No problems for us, but you could see where other trailers had bottomed out on the rocks. If we had a lowrider trailer, it could have been a different story.

This summer will be interesting on that ramp. I can see what they were trying to achieve & it will solve some problems, but at the same time introduce a new set of difficulties.

Poo River is cold! I've only been on it a few times, but it seems like even at the height of summer it doesn't exactly get warm.

That's ok. It makes it harder for the nasty bacteria to grow. Crazy.gif

It looks like I will be helping with the Houseboat Camp again this summer. I think I will be there in the middle of July, so will get to experience the new ramp configuration.

• 3 weeks later...

We got out again yesterday and had the glass all to ourselves. Another good day with the water at 45F again, but the air at around 60F. After we finished on the river, my son and a friend that were out with us went right up to the mountain for some night skiing on Mt. Hood. Pretty good day - wakeboarding followed by skiing in the same day.

Tracie,

What are you guys building? And the pics looked great, thanks for sharing. Almost seems a shame to be surfing in water like that, but I couldn't imagine wakeboarding in those temps (surfing seems like a better idea when it is thaaaaat cold)

They actually lowered the LBC by 8 feet this winter to work on the dam, come summer time the ramps will be much more friendly. But yeah I agree I don't like the lanes, people have a hard enough time backing into the lake with a 40 yard wide lane.... Plus I used to see 7 trucks and trailers in the water at the same time on that ramp...

They put in some multi-million dollar water circulater for salmon, it is suppose to lower the surface temp of the lake :(, but I hope that will also reduce the algae :)

They put in some multi-million dollar water circulater for salmon, it is suppose to lower the surface temp of the lake :(, but I hope that will also reduce the algae

Our little lake put in a water recirculator system (Solar Bees) for the express purpose of reducing the algae bloom. I think you will see a nice water quality improvement. Thumbup.gif

Tracie,

What are you guys building? And the pics looked great, thanks for sharing. Almost seems a shame to be surfing in water like that, but I couldn't imagine wakeboarding in those temps (surfing seems like a better idea when it is thaaaaat cold)

We're building a shop, and not just any shop at that, this one is 36' x 40. Rockon.gifClap.gif We just the other night brought home a "new-to-us" Class C motorhome & it will sleep in there alongside the Bu. We engineered the trusses above the bay for the Bu so that we can use them to lift the boat off of the trailer if we ever need to do some trailer work. We've got a generator out there that we'll be able to power the joint with, & will dig water lines out there eventually so that we can wash everything up. It's going to be sweet!

We used the motorhome Friday night & went up to Mt. Bachelor (this rv has the cold weather package, so no worries of freezing). That was so cool, to wake up right at the mountain & have a place of our own to come back to & relax. We've got some work to do on it to get it kosher for pulling the boat, but it shouldn't be a problem that more money can't solve. :lol: It was so warm here this weekend that I would have preferred to go to the lake, but we really wanted to do a shake down cruise in Eddie (think "Christmas Vacation" :lol:).

They put in some multi-million dollar water circulater for salmon, it is suppose to lower the surface temp of the lake :(, but I hope that will also reduce the algae :)

Maybe it will reduce the number of people that come to the lake. :)

You guys suck, you do know that?!?!

We are usually on the water by now with water temps over 50 and sometimes in the mid 60s. Not this year. Last week, water temps were hanging in the low 40s. Forget it......