Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is this normal?

I have a 2007 VTX with 4-tank ballast. My bilge area right under the center compartment hatch seems to collect water when I fill/drain ballast tanks. I was at the lake today just running the boat and I am 100% positive I did not take on any water, however I did fill/drain the ballast tanks (just testing them out) and I noticed water was in the bilge (not a huge amount, maybe 1/3 gallon at the most). I have to assume that it came from a leaking fitting/pump or something. Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so, should I worry and get it fixed or is this pretty common? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

that water came from normal leakage of the shaft packing seal. it settles there because that is the lowest spot on the boat. when you take off and you have collected enough it will roll to the back and the biege will pump it out.

I agree with the above comments...I bet its the packing on the shaft seal. I bet if you just drop the boat into the water without running it much and then fill/drain the ballast with the boat stopped, you will notice an absence of water. My shaft seal leaked like a MUTHA until I had the boat serviced and they fixed it right up. Supposed to drip 1-2 drops every few seconds...but with yours a 2007, you may have the dripless packing.

I agree with the above comments...I bet its the packing on the shaft seal. I bet if you just drop the boat into the water without running it much and then fill/drain the ballast with the boat stopped, you will notice an absence of water. My shaft seal leaked like a MUTHA until I had the boat serviced and they fixed it right up. Supposed to drip 1-2 drops every few seconds...but with yours a 2007, you may have the dripless packing.

I'm pretty sure he's got the dripless packing, my boat does. Pull your midship hatch when out on the lake and see if the pumps in there are leaking while filling ballast. Do the same in the rear by pulling the back seat out. Next I would check your watet intake hose and make sure it's not leaking.

I'm pretty sure he's got the dripless packing, my boat does. Pull your midship hatch when out on the lake and see if the pumps in there are leaking while filling ballast. Do the same in the rear by pulling the back seat out. Next I would check your watet intake hose and make sure it's not leaking.

Not sure of your problem but all 3 of the ballast tanks in my vride were replaced under warranty for leaks. The tech that installed them at the factory must have had popeye sized forearms because the drain pumps were tightened to the point that the plastic threaded fittings on the tanks were cracked!

Also the plugs used to cap the unused holes on my tanks were a very brittle black plastic. I had two of those (one on each tank at the top)crack and pop off the first year I had the boat, causing my tanks to leak when water would slosh out. I fixed those with pvc caps from h-depot and for a while every thing was dry. Then last year we noticed that the carpet kept getting wet in the rear compartments and the bilge ran off and on all day while using the tanks. I pulled the rear tanks because I couldn't see any leaks. Thats when I noticed the cracked fittings on the tanks. The dealer ordered new tanks and replaced and he also discovered the same issue with my center tank (which I did not know about) and replaced it as well. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I have a much drier boat this season! My dealer said that he had never had to replace a hard tank before my 3!