Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Buying a Boat with a History of Repaired HDS Leak

Hello everyone,

I am considering purchasing a 1998 Sunsetter LX. It will be our family's first boat. It has aparently had a repair of a HDS box leak last season. I have searched this site, which is wonderful by the way. and am aware that this seems to be a design problem. I would appreciate the forum's opinion as to whether this is likely a recurring problem once a leak is established. What are the typical costs of repair. Anything else to look out for on this boat? I am having a prepurchase inspection done on the boat this week, but am under the impression that actual owner experiences are a better guide.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Depends on what caused it to leak. Did the original construction / materials just not hold up or was it run aground thereby damaging the HDS box? If it was the original construction failed and then it was repaired by a reputable dealer then I wouldn't worry about it. If the boat was run aground...I would be doing a very close inspection. Look for damage around the rudder box, the wedge plate (if it has one), the driveshaft strut,....both inside and out.

Good luck.

Depends on what caused it to leak. Did the original construction / materials just not hold up or was it run aground thereby damaging the HDS box? If it was the original construction failed and then it was repaired by a reputable dealer then I wouldn't worry about it. If the boat was run aground...I would be doing a very close inspection. Look for damage around the rudder box, the wedge plate (if it has one), the driveshaft strut,....both inside and out.

Good luck.

Plus1.gif If your not sure, have someone that knows about the boat check it out. A local dealer would be my first choice even if they don't specialize in Malibu they may know more what to look for.

Good Luck

Edit: and welcome to the board

Edited by 68Slalom

Wow that was fast! Since the repair was done last summer and the boat is a 1998, I am thinking that it must have been run aground. The local Malibu dealer has only had the franchise for 6 months so I'm not sure how much experience they have with this type of problem and yes they are the ones who repaired it. They assure me that since I am paying for the service, they have my interests at heart for the inspection. I will likely have another boat mechanic take a look at it as well. Thanks again for the help.

I'd agree - the boat was probably run aground. The vast majority of HDS issues that we hear of that were NOT related to running aground or some other issue like that occur within the first year or two rather than a full eight years into the boat's life.

How do you know there was an HDS repair? I'm assuming the owner was up front with it given that it would be pretty hard to determine it without pulling the lid off the box. If he's being honest about it that's a pretty good sign that he'll be honest about everything else (and that's obviously a good thing). But I would also enter this more cautiously than normal and drop the cash to have the dealer do a once over on the boat and pull the lid to see what the repair looks like. That will mean resealing the lid, which will cost you a bit more, but if you're serious about purchasing this boat that's cheap insurance and well worth it IMHO.

Mike

Edited by mlange

Quick check to see if the boat hit bottom is to look at the shaft/strut/prop. The standard prop that year was a CVP stainless, which stinks, if that is still on there the boat probably did not run aground. If it all looks new and shiny while the tracking fins look weathered that is a good indication.

Sometimes people will start to leave there boats in the water and then notice they leak that has been there...