Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Ski

hattric73

Looking for help spending some of my money...

I currently ski on an O'Brien Siege 66"

It has been good but, I feel like I have met it's limits...I think I may have worn it out as I could feel it slow down considerably near the end of last season, and blow outs definitely increased but, it could have been me getting worse too!

I am looking for a higher end ski but, not necessarily a tournament ski, maybe a ski one or two steps down from it.

I free ski but, free ski hard as we don't have a course. I typically ski between 32-35mph and am 6' 175lbs...

Any recommendations?? I have always skied O'Brien in the past and have liked their skis, and probably would prefer to stick with them!

I have owned both OBrien and HO, I have always liked the HO brand a little better. I have owned a CDX, Phantom, and Truth model. I have used the Truth for the last 4 years but the CDX was a great ski for my first 5 years!!!

Hope that helps

A 67.5" Sixam 1 would be a great fit for you. It is extremely easy to ski, yet very quick and fast. I have skied HO for 20 years, and just recently went from a Phantom to a Sixam. The 07 and 08 Monza's are phenominal, but unless you are skiing the course, you don't need the extra speed/angle from the Monza and it's not as forgiving as the Sixam. I was going to buy a Monza, but got such a good deal on the Sixam that I couldn't pass it up, and I don't regret it. I went from struggling at 32 off on the Phantom to getting deep into 35 off on the Sixam.

Edited by Brodie

I am a little confused on O'Brien's line up...

call me stupid if you want! Cry.gif

I don't get the Sixam 1.0 vs Sixam 2.0 vs Sixam SS plus, the Allegiance is similar to the Sixam correct? Would the Allegiance be similar to the Siege?

thanks for the help!

I don't get the Sixam 1.0 vs Sixam 2.0 vs Sixam SS plus, the Allegiance is similar to the Sixam correct? Would the Allegiance be similar to the Siege?

thanks for the help!

Take a look at the Connelly Concept. It is the most forgiving ski and is more for performance than competition. My brother just bought a new one and they are top of line for under $400 with double stokers.

thanks for the help!

The Sixam 1.0 is the original Mapple designed ski from 2005. In 06 the Sixam II came out as a wider version that was more forgiving. The SS is basically a replacement for the 1.0, faster, stiffer, the latest technology (ICBW). I am not familiar with the allegiance, but would assume it is more of an intermediate-advanced forgiving ski. You can pick up a used 1.0 pretty cheap on ski-it-again.

Just to muddy up the waters a little, I am/was in a similiar scenario as you although I have also had HO products. I did a lot of research and ended up going with the Radar Senate. From everything I have read, its a near tournament level ski but its more stable. I got a 2008 model for $329. They did review the Senate in the 2008 Horton Ski Test. I would tell you how I like mine but I haven't gotten it yet and the lake is kinda frozen.

If you do go with an Obrien ski, Skiers Pier in Waterford, MI had some really great deals on '07 models. You can see them at www.skierspier.com

Good luck

thanks for the help!

Take a look at the Connelly Concept. It is the most forgiving ski and is more for performance than competition. My brother just bought a new one and they are top of line for under $400 with double stokers.

Plus1.gif

Looking for help spending some of my money...

I currently ski on an O'Brien Siege 66"

It has been good but, I feel like I have met it's limits...I think I may have worn it out as I could feel it slow down considerably near the end of last season, and blow outs definitely increased but, it could have been me getting worse too!

I am looking for a higher end ski but, not necessarily a tournament ski, maybe a ski one or two steps down from it.

I free ski but, free ski hard as we don't have a course. I typically ski between 32-35mph and am 6' 175lbs...

Any recommendations?? I have always skied O'Brien in the past and have liked their skis, and probably would prefer to stick with them!

I had the same experience with this ski. Skied the 66" Siege 2 seasons ago, the more I felt I pushed it to its limit, the blow outs increased and got definitely harder. The ski had always been kind of unpredictable. Switched than to a 67" CDX that had been a notch faster and more reliable. Finally I'm back on an O'Brien. Got myself a 67.5" Sixam 2 Point. I wanted to have a faster ski than the CDX, but still a reliable and predictable ski. I'm very happy with this ski now. But finally you need to find out by yourself, which ski suits your technique and style. I had the HO Monza, the D3 Nomad and the O'Brien Sixam 2 Point in my test. I found the Monza to squirrelly. The Nomad had been good, but the Sixam had been it, right from the start.

Try to demo some skis in the range you are aiming at. Once you got the ski that feels right for you, try different lengths, if you are not sure about the length at all.