Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

20 hr service

I took my boat down to the service dept for its 20 hr service and some warranty work today. When I started walking around the boat w/ the service rep she wrote down the 20 hr service was due and the cost of $270.00.

When my wife and I signed and sealed the purchase deal, the dealer told us make sure we scheduled our 20 hr service right away. There was no discussion from either party about the cost of the 20 hr service. At the time of deal it was assusmed that the 20 hr check up was included in purchase and was a routine check up to make minor adjustments as a good customer service effort by Malibu. Well we were way wrong.

I asked what was done for $270.00.... She told me an oil change and they looked over the gauges and rigging. Man what rip-off! I'll it all myself per the owners manual.

Has anyone else had the confusion?

No confusion here but I opted to do my 10 hour service myself. If you learn to change the oil and impeller on your boat you'll save a ton of money. That said, I took my boat in today for it's 50 hour service (I'm only at 40 but I needed some warranty work done) and I know the bill will be between 200 and 300 dollars. There is some maintenance that should just be performed by the dealer. I just chalk it up to owning a boat. Good luck.

This is something you probably could have worked into the deal ahead of time if you had known and/or thought about it. Having said that, it is not normal for the first service to be included.

Mike

Just wait until you get your 100 hour service. I just received a bill for $ 576.00 dollars. I thought I was going to blow a gasket. They told me that the spark plugs had to be "High Performance" @ $ 14. each & that he had to replace my distributor cap. I'll be doing it myself next time. Mad.gif

Just wait until you get your 100 hour service. I just received a bill for $ 576.00 dollars. I thought I was going to blow a gasket. They told me that the spark plugs had to be "High Performance" @ $ 14. each & that he had to replace my distributor cap. I'll be doing it myself next time. Mad.gif

Why can you run over 100k miles on the same plugs in a car and the same GM 350 in a boat needs new plugs and a dist cap in 100 hours?

I have 300+ hours with 0 problems and just oil changes. This Monsoon is flawless.

(Oh yeah... 1 impeller...Caleb.)

Edited by gooddog

Why can you run over 100k miles on the same plugs in a car and the same GM 350 in a boat needs new plugs and a dist cap in 100 hours?

Why new plugs and cap at 100 hours?? Because it is a toy, silly, and you have to pay the exhorbitant Toy Tax -- always! Fact of life. Just like the sun rises in the East.

Woody, I take it this is your first new boat purchase? Well, service is NOT included in the price of a boat. If you'll look in the manual, someplace around the service schedule it states this fact, and that it's your responsiblity to have it done.

You said nothing was said about it at the dealer, that you assumed it was included. Well, the dealer must have assumed you knew it wasn't, since anyone who's bought a new boat before knows, heh. You probably should have asked if you weren't sure.

Anyway, what happened to you was not unusual -- service on the boat is not part of the purchase price, except in cases where some buyer's negotiate it into the final purchase. I've known some to do that, have the dealer "throw in" the first service, but it's not that way by default. I've never remembered to do this, hah.

By "Service" I mean all the scheduled maintenance items in the manual -- oil change, etc. Anything that is amiss in the new boat would be fixed for free. On mine I had a slight tower rattle, the v-drive warning light didn't work, etc. But I paid for the 10-hr service.

If they did a full 10-hr service, it is more than just an oil change. I doubt the person you talked to knew fully what services had been performed. Check with the service mgr.

Next time you'll know what to expect, but don't hold this against your dealer or Malibu. It was a case of you not knowing the process, not asking, and making incorrect assumptions.

-Boomer

Can we review what is supposed to get done at a first service. Heres the list I came up with:

oil (you can do yourself)

tranny fluid (you can do yourself)

steering inspection (probably better to have a dealer do it)

alignment check (only a dealer can do)

Vdrive fluid (you can do yourself)

uhhhh....so I guess you're paying for a $250.00 alignment check.

How often does everyone change their sprk plugs (who don't follow the manual): brand? model? anyone tried the bosch platinum 4+? Are they a WOM

They also do some basic checks on the engine mounting bolts, things like that, but I agree that over $200 is highway robbery (it's easier to change the oil in these boats than it is in a car for cripe's sake). With that said, I paid it when I took mine in for that service. I do most of it myself now.

I am assuming that the 20 hour that you had done was the first (10 hour) service that the manual calls for. FYI I paid $95 for the 10 hour on my boat. Dealer performed all inspections including the shaft packing, steering etc. Changed all fluids and did a little bit of warranty work.

IMO you should call them out on it and complain to Malibu if you don't get the result that you are looking for. Also there was another post about the first (10 hour ) service that you may want to read through.

I would agree to have the first 20 and 100 hr check up. because of some of the alignments that would be done or checked. I would also see if I could have the service modifide (to save some cash) so that I did all the fluids, plugs, cap, ect. the easy stuff for me. With that said I don't think I will be taking my boat to a dealer, unless the BU crew could not help me fix it.

I am assuming that the 20 hour that you had done was the first (10 hour) service that the manual calls for.  FYI I paid $95 for the 10 hour on my boat.  Dealer performed all inspections including the shaft packing, steering etc.  Changed all fluids and did a little bit of warranty work. 

IMO you should call them out on it and complain to Malibu if you don't get the result that you are looking for.  Also there was another post about the first (10 hour ) service that you may want to read through.

What he said...

For some reason, I like to bite the bullet on a new boat and have the dealer do the first 10-hr service. Oil, tranny, v-drive, shaft alignment, belts, fuel filter, engine timing, etc. Just to have record that the first was done properly, and get myself in their system.

Then after that I do most myself except for shaft alignment checks, or other stuff like that.

Woody, I take it this is your first new boat purchase? Well, service is NOT included in the price of a boat. If you'll look in the manual, someplace around the service schedule it states this fact, and that it's your responsiblity to have it done.

You said nothing was said about it at the dealer, that you assumed it was included. Well, the dealer must have assumed you knew it wasn't, since anyone who's bought a new boat before knows, heh. You probably should have asked if you weren't sure.

Anyway, what happened to you was not unusual -- service on the boat is not part of the purchase price, except in cases where some buyer's negotiate it into the final purchase. I've known some to do that, have the dealer "throw in" the first service, but it's not that way by default. I've never remembered to do this, hah.

By "Service" I mean all the scheduled maintenance items in the manual -- oil change, etc. Anything that is amiss in the new boat would be fixed for free. On mine I had a slight tower rattle, the v-drive warning light didn't work, etc. But I paid for the 10-hr service.

If they did a full 10-hr service, it is more than just an oil change. I doubt the person you talked to knew fully what services had been performed. Check with the service mgr.

Next time you'll know what to expect, but don't hold this against your dealer or Malibu.  It was a case of you not knowing the process, not asking, and making incorrect assumptions.

-Boomer

Boomer... Some of your statements sound as if your affiliated with Malibu??

No flaming intended.

Yes, maybe I was naive when it came to the service agreement, but the dealer certainly did not go out of his way to explain the details.

After the bad dealing with the sales manager I will stay away from them at all possible costs.

I love my malibu and would buy another but under different circumstances.

And yes, I will do all my own service and maintenance.

Not affiliated whatsoever, just a happy owner, but your tone sounded inflammatory to me toward Malibu, as if they had done something wrong by not including service.

I was just saying, you can't assume anything on a purchase of this magnitude. You should have asked. Possibly the dealer should have mentioned it, but buying a boat is sorta complex, and it's not hard to imagine this not coming up during the sales process, since it's an APOS situation (the 10hr service). When you buy a car you don't talk to the dealer about your first 3000-mile oil change. :)

I've only bought two brand-new boats myself, and I remember at first sorta thinking, "Wow, I just spent $45k and two weeks later I have to pop $240? Seems the dealer should cover or include this." I was kinda miffed too to be honest.

However, instead of flaming Supra (my first new boat) for not including it, I realized it was my mistake for not knowing or asking, not the dealer's fault for not telling me, etc. It just came across to me in your post that you were blaming Malibu and the dealer for not specificially telling you.

On my 2nd new boat, my '05 VLX I knew already that I was going to have to pay for the first service, so it never even came up at all when talking to the dealer. He assumed I knew, which I did. Your dealer probably assumed the same.

Anyway, I apologize if I had a negative tone toward your post. Just consider it a learning experience. Next time you buy a boat you'll know. Expect to pay for the first service, negotiate it in, or do it yourself. :)

Yeah I went into the dealership the other day asking about an oil change, wow. I was like," what's an oil change cost around here, $60?" Thinking it would be a little more expessive than car. The guy was, "pppfff no no no, an oil change will cost you at least $200?" I then asked how it could be so much more than a car, and he went into his pitch about how they do so much more that change the oil, they change the tranny too, and check over the WHOLE engine. I was blown away, Oil can henry's does basically the same "full" service oil change for like $35 on a car. I went ahead and bought my own oil change pump. I can't believe people pay those prices for service.

Boomer I don't think Woody if flaming malibu at all.

From his post he stated

"I love my malibu and would buy another but under different circumstances."

I think his hole flaming is at the Sale Manager. Mad.gif

I know this first hand because I had a run in with this same Manager. I even went to the district Manager to inform him of what had happened and how disappointed I was with (Sale's Manager) unprofessional attitude. As a friend stated he is just a a$$$ and will never change. I know for me I will be going to a different malibu dealer, even tho I will have to drive almost 2 hours. RTFM.gif Sorry but this is just my 2c

I have to say that my dealer & the service dept. are two separate businesses, even though they are under the same roof.

My dealer herd that I was Mad.gif so he called me this morning to talk about my bill.

I have a great dealer and I will continue to do business with him, but I will do more of my own service work.

Gotcha, I must have read it wrong. If this place sucks, they deserve the  Bash.gif  Guns.gif

The place dosn't suck, Its the Guns.gifSales manager

The sales team is great for the most part. I know the person that Woody and I had was AAA+++

Woot13 Good for you. Yahoo.gif Its great to see dealer taking care of there people. I know were your buying your next boat. Yes.gif;)

Edited by D-GOOSE