Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

For the DIY's

I had promised to post this a while back and I finally got around to it:

These are some pictures of the brackets and lights I set up on my tower, these are spare parts. The bracket is a first article cut from the machine shop and the light doesn't have a bulb in it or the rubber bushing where the wires come out.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I had the brackets polished and machined out of Stainless Steel, what I didn't do is have the outer washer and nut polished but it doesn't look to bad on the tower and the extra long bolt is just to hold the bracket from moving.

I hope this helps:

post-2083-1203098272_thumb.jpg

post-2083-1203098300_thumb.jpg

post-2083-1203098321_thumb.jpg

Edited by 68Slalom
Are those HID or Halogen?

Halogen :unsure:

I'm really only going to use them at the dock when it's dark, not really planning on using them on the water unless we are camping and need to use them at the shore or something like that.

PIA makes a really nice HID light that I was going to buy but they were like $189 a pair and I couldn't see spending $800 for eight lights. These were only $24 each and they work pretty good, they just get a little hot after about 20 mins of being on :)

I'm really only going to use them at the dock when it's dark, not really planning on using them on the water unless we are camping and need to use them at the shore or something like that.

PIA makes a really nice HID light that I was going to buy but they were like $189 a pair and I couldn't see spending $800 for eight lights. These were only $24 each and they work pretty good, they just get a little hot after about 20 mins of being on :)

How much would it cost you to get more of those made?

How much would it cost you to get more of those made?

I would be interested in a set fo those adapters as well....

Let me get with the machine shop and see what he would charge if I could get more people interested so he can make more than just a set of 8 pcs.

Edit: I didn't have to pay to have these made because he owed me a favor, but I think we were talking about pricing and he mentioned about $60 per bracket. I'll see what he say's when he returns my call, the other option is to have any local machine shop to something close in design.

Edited by 68Slalom
Let me get with the machine shop and see what he would charge if I could get more people interested so he can make more than just a set of 8 pcs.

Edit: I didn't have to pay to have these made because he owed me a favor, but I think we were talking about pricing and he mentioned about $60 per bracket. I'll see what he say's when he returns my call, the other option is to have any local machine shop to something close in design.

$60 each Shocking.gif

So I just talked to the machine shop guy and he can do them for $50 unpolished and $60 polished, it cost me $5 for the hardware and $24 for the light.

Light $ 24 plus tax

Bracket $ 60 polished

Hardware $ 5 plus tax

Total $ 89 plus tax

The only reason I went this way is because the metcraft lights that are made for the Illusion X tower are selling for $220 each brand new and there was no way I was going to pay that kind of money for a basic halogen light.

This may not be for everyone but I like the way they look mounted Thumbup.gif even though it was a little hard to mount up, but they are strong and they look great. Not to mention the replacement bulb is only $7 and I have three extra bulbs just in case.

So I just talked to the machine shop guy and he can do them for $50 unpolished and $60 polished, it cost me $5 for the hardware and $24 for the light.

Light $ 24 plus tax

Bracket $ 60 polished

Hardware $ 5 plus tax

Total $ 89 plus tax

The only reason I went this way is because the metcraft lights that are made for the Illusion X tower are selling for $220 each brand new and there was no way I was going to pay that kind of money for a basic halogen light.

This may not be for everyone but I like the way they look mounted Thumbup.gif even though it was a little hard to mount up, but they are strong and they look great. Not to mention the replacement bulb is only $7 and I have three extra bulbs just in case.

Those are some nice looking brackets, it would great if he could bring his price down a little. Did use a CNC machine or were they mostly cut by hand and a mill?

Light $ 24 plus tax

Bracket $ 60 polished

Hardware $ 5 plus tax

Total $ 89 plus tax

Those are some nice looking brackets, it would great if he could bring his price down a little. Did use a CNC machine or were they mostly cut by hand and a mill?

I think it was a combo, I don't know if he can program the whole thing on his CNC. I know the threads were not done by CNC, I can find out more next week.

They really look nice polished :) and on the tower.

they do? which ones were you looking at? will they direct attach to the illusion x? do you have a link?

they do? which ones were you looking at? will they direct attach to the illusion x? do you have a link?

There is only one set of lights that directly bolts up to the towers we have, but as I said you don't have to go that route. PIA has a large range of HID lights and with any type of bracket you make you should be able to bolt right up. I don't know why you would really want HID's on a tower when you really can't be out on the water to use them. But I'll try and find the link and post up on the info. and the lights I was looking at.

There is only one set of lights that directly bolts up to the towers we have, but as I said you don't have to go that route. PIA has a large range of HID lights and with any type of bracket you make you should be able to bolt right up. I don't know why you would really want HID's on a tower when you really can't be out on the water to use them. But I'll try and find the link and post up on the info. and the lights I was looking at.

night surfing baby. too much fun plus you get the whole lake to yourself. Surfing.gif

night surfing baby. too much fun plus you get the whole lake to yourself. Surfing.gif

We've never night surfed, so I wouldn't know how cool it is. But something just makes me a little nervous about being on the water at night and not being able to see everything even if there are no boats out, plus I believe it's agianst the law here in Calif. to be out on the water with lights like that. So avoiding a ticket makes me not really want to try my chances anymore than I already have :)

Firstly, thanks Tony for taking the time to show us, those brackets look great.

How do the brackets stay inside the tower?

I sent you a PM, plus I never said it was easy. I had to think about it for a few weeks before I came up with something I could try, once I tried it I couldn't believe it actually worked, just imagine trying to get to that bolt that was installed at the factory when the engine was out of the frame. You just have to find a way Thumbup.gif

Would it be possible to make these fit on a TIII also Dontknow.gif I would imagine if I just got the correct clamps to fit. What type of lights are they (brand and where did you find them)? I have been wanting to add lights to the tower, but don't really want to spend a grand to do it.

~ Thanks in advance!!!!

Would it be possible to make these fit on a TIII also Dontknow.gif I would imagine if I just got the correct clamps to fit. What type of lights are they (brand and where did you find them)? I have been wanting to add lights to the tower, but don't really want to spend a grand to do it.

~ Thanks in advance!!!!

I think they already have a light bar for the TIII

http://www.diywake.com/shop/shopdisplaypro...&cat=Lights

What is the size and type of thread on that custom stem mount or the nutserts on the tower? metric M20? standard NPT 1/2"? Course thread or fine?

What is the size and type of thread on that custom stem mount or the nutserts on the tower? metric M20? standard NPT 1/2"? Course thread or fine?

I used 5/8" X 27 NS on the bracket and bought a thin nut McMaster CARR P/N: 91862A338 in 18-8 Stainless Steel. My original thought was to have a machined threaded insert that I could pull press in from the outside of the tower using an external puller. But I didn't have to do that and spend any extra money :)