Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Finally taking the neices to the lake

Headhunter 2317

I put up a post a while back about my frustration with my wife's sister and her husband. They were both apprehensive about bringing their two daughters 8 and 10 years old up to the lake. ( Too Dangerous ) Mad.gif They've heard the stories about some of the busy lakes here and the accidents that happen. So, they bought a trampoline instead. Crazy.gif

Anyway, I had towed the BU home from Carters Lake this past Saturday to give her a wash and wax. My wife had taken the kids to the movies and she came back to our house afterward with the girls to wait on their mother to come get them. Neither had ever seen the boat before. I took advantage and hoisted them up. Within 30 seconds I had the stereo going and they were all over the place. By the time their mother showed up, they were both begging to go to the lake immediately. I have to admit that I cheated a little and let them watch "The Secret Spot" and the Malibu DVD from the boat show to further wet their appetites.

They are convinced that they are the next Dallas Friday. Both girls did gymnastics and they were really psyched when I told them that she did too. I was piling it on while I had the chance. I even gave the 10 year old Wakeside.com's address... Yahoo.gif

SOLD!! We are going Saturday and taking them. The parents have NO choice now.

Seeing their eyes light up the first time they ride a water toy will be priceless.

Edited by Headhunter 2317

Both kids are athletic so they should do well. I can't wait to show them one of my classic faceplants.

Good for you and your wife for taking the time with your neices!!!!

I can only imagine the look on there faces come Saturday!!!

Cheers

Reggie

If you only knew how much I've been through trying to make this happen. When I was a kid, my Uncle was the one who introduced me to the lake and water skiing behind the old Ebbtide Bowrider. I can always remember how much fun we had and all I want to do is do the same for them. The kids would always ask me when we were going but Mom and Dad always had a lame excuse. The kids are tired, we're going to the mall, blah, blah, blah. Their Parents are Ninnys. I will most likely have to slip tranquilzers in their sippy cups.....

I will have BOTH of them boarding by the end of the day Yahoo.gif

I can teach it better than I can do it..... Shocking.gif

The knee board is a great place to start. Easy for kids to ride and get used to the slide.......

Maybe longline starts for them by dinner?

They loved to watch Dallas Friday on the Malibu DVD. It would be cool if one of them turned pro and I could be their boat driver.

This is a great story, and I'm glad you finally got them to give in and let the kids go out on the boat.

That said, I'm concerned about the ah....er "family unit" portrayed in this post.

I put up a post a while back about my frustration with my sister's wife and her husband. 

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Biggrin.gif

This is a great story, and I'm glad you finally got them to give in and let the kids go out on the boat.

That said, I'm concerned about the ah....er "family unit" portrayed in this post.

I put up a post a while back about my frustration with my sister's wife and her husband. 

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Biggrin.gif

They are good parents. Just a little too protective and selfish of the kids time.

My wife and I figured out that they are probably just scared that the kids will have fun with someone else besides them......

Most parents would love to drop the kids off for a Saturday. Mine would have me standing on the curb with a sack lunch at 5AM .

Joe, did you re-read exactly what you said in your first sentence? Exactly?

Thanks. I got that one a little turned around..... Crazy.gif

This is the South you know......

They and you should have a great time. I got my 11 yo nephew up on a wakeboard for the first time at the NW WOW last weekend. The first day he managed to get up and stay up finally for a bit less than a minute. The next day he went for about 20 minutes before he finally got tired out. Afterwards he said he wants to come and live with us for the summer so that he can go wakeboarding. He's hooked.

We just got back from the lake and my two boys (9 &11) each took a friend who had never boarded. The 9 YO friend got up on the third pull and stayed up for about 20 seconds before he caught an edge and paid the price. He didn't go again, said he had a little headache. :( But he said he wants to try again on Friday with us. Yahoo.gif The 11 YO friend got up on the second try and promptly did a lap and a half around a 330 acre lake. His second time in the water he was starting to get just the smallest amounts of air but it was super cool to watch. Of course my boys both boarded and skated (as did I). What a great afternoon. Nothing more fun than teaching kids and seeing their eyes lite up once it clicks.

Taught an old guy (well OK, in his 30s) to board last night. First time, he was up and moving where he wanted to. No air yet but defintiely has the potential. He did have that certain look in his eye.

Taught an old guy (well OK, in his 30s) to board last night.  First time, he was up and moving where he wanted to.  No air yet but defintiely has the potential.  He did have that certain look in his eye.

Hey! Careful there. There are a lot of us "Old Guys" who board and get lots of air. Tongue.gif