Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Removed Painted Registration Numbers

Hello,

I recently purchased an 04 VLX and it had paintd on Registration numbers. I search this site and found an article with the exact problem I had and suggested using oven cleaner to remove the numbers. That worked great. However it did dull and stain the surface a bit. I have tried using Mequire's products to clean up the surface but not having any luck. Any ideas on what I should do to restore the finish?

Thanks,

Gordon

Hello,

I recently purchased an 04 VLX and it had paintd on Registration numbers. I search this site and found an article with the exact problem I had and suggested using oven cleaner to remove the numbers. That worked great. However it did dull and stain the surface a bit. I have tried using Mequire's products to clean up the surface but not having any luck. Any ideas on what I should do to restore the finish?

Thanks,

Gordon

You can wet sand the area with 1000,grit sand paper, then progessively work your way to 1200, 1400, 1600, 2000 grit paper. Then get some good polish on it. It will look brand new,

Hello,

Thanks,

Gordon

You can wet sand the area with 1000,grit sand paper, then progessively work your way to 1200, 1400, 1600, 2000 grit paper. Then get some good polish on it. It will look brand new,

Plus1.gif

Great! Thanks for the information. I have never wet sanded before, but I'll give it a try.

Gordon

First make the sand paper wet then I would suggest rubbing a little bar soap on the sand paper before touching it to the boat, it offers abit of lubrication to the process. Oh and wrap the sand paper on a block of semi-stiff foam rather than holding it in your hands, the block gives you even pressure on the entire sanding surface, continue to flush the sand paper with fresh water/ soap out of a margarin container and continue until desired finish. If the gel is only dulled you shouldn't need to sand to much to bring back the lustre. Then like already mentioned get a good wax on there. Happy sanding.

Great! Thanks for the information. I have never wet sanded before, but I'll give it a try.

Gordon

First make the sand paper wet then I would suggest rubbing a little bar soap on the sand paper before touching it to the boat, it offers abit of lubrication to the process. Oh and wrap the sand paper on a block of semi-stiff foam rather than holding it in your hands, the block gives you even pressure on the entire sanding surface, continue to flush the sand paper with fresh water/ soap out of a margarin container and continue until desired finish. If the gel is only dulled you shouldn't need to sand to much to bring back the lustre. Then like already mentioned get a good wax on there. Happy sanding.

Awsome! Thanks very much for the detailed instructions.

Gordon

Before getting into wet sanding give the 3M Super Duty Rubbing compound a shot. It will take out a lot of dulling and stains. Follow up with a little 3M Perfect it II polish then good wax. Should shine right up. If the compound doesn't work then go to the paper. No need to finish all the way out with 1200, 1400, 1600 and 2000. Just use 1000 grit paper then use the 3M compound. The Super Duty compound will remove the 1000 grit scratches. Then follow up with the polish to remove the leftover dullness. Just trying to save you a little extra work and supplies.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently removed house paint from my truck with finger nail polish remover. I don't know if that would hurt the gel coat, it didn't hurt he clearcoat on the truck.

I recently removed house paint from my truck with finger nail polish remover. I don't know if that would hurt the gel coat, it didn't hurt he clearcoat on the truck.

I detail a little! It sounds like BrianM does also, he gives great advice. Rockon.gif

This works. Use 2000 grit followed by 3M Rubbing Compound - followed by 3m swirl remover followed by you choice in wax. Auto body shop supply places will have what you need, get the small bottles. Another tip is instead of 2000 grit wet sand paper you may want to get the Meguiars 2000 grit sand block. They also make a 1500 grit but that has proved to be way to agressive for any detail work I have done even for paint scratches.

Best,

Andy

Edited by awilco
Before getting into wet sanding give the 3M Super Duty Rubbing compound a shot. It will take out a lot of dulling and stains. Follow up with a little 3M Perfect it II polish then good wax. Should shine right up. If the compound doesn't work then go to the paper. No need to finish all the way out with 1200, 1400, 1600 and 2000. Just use 1000 grit paper then use the 3M compound. The Super Duty compound will remove the 1000 grit scratches. Then follow up with the polish to remove the leftover dullness. Just trying to save you a little extra work and supplies.

Plus1.gif

Acetone (the active ingredient in finger nail polish remover) may also work to. Brian is absolutely correct on the 1200+ paper being a massive waste of time, unless you have black gelcoat, but you will need to use a rotary buffer to get these results, not a wimpy orbital.

-Chris

Hi Woody,

I have not had a chance to get it to yet. It is on my list of things to do before spring. I will post pics.

Thanks,

Gordon

Plus1.gif

Acetone (the active ingredient in finger nail polish remover) may also work to. Brian is absolutely correct on the 1200+ paper being a massive waste of time, unless you have black gelcoat, but you will need to use a rotary buffer to get these results, not a wimpy orbital.

-Chris

Just be careful not to get that on the upholstery. Vinyl & acetone don't get along.