Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lake Mead

dlb

It's a bit different in Cali, dude. All your lakes are unreal deep. I was at Shasta in August & it was over 125' low. Sounds like it could be high come springtime with all the snow in the mountains. Guess they will open the dam & let the Delta have some. Not sure if they have a way of plumbing it elsewhere.

210' low around here & we wouldn't have any ground water at all, much less lakes. Even Coeur d'Alene is only 178' deep.

I guess there is one exception.... Pend Oreille is 1150' deep. But we don't do any riding there......too many submarines foolin around underneath.

The little puddle we usually ski on, Liberty, is only 27' deep and rarely fluctuates more than a couple feet.

Don't forget that cold, and most debris laden of lakes (at least in the warmer end) , Lake Chelan, at 1468' deep, 3rd deepest in Cont. US. No fluctuation in that lake level to speak of.

Yep, the warm end doesn't leave the 60's for water temp even in August. I have spent two weeks there over the last two summers and never once saw smooth water. Avoiding the driftwood is like driving around course bouys! Beautiful, clear water though. The water fluctuates in depth so the homeowners can repair and maintain their docks. I think there is about a 15 foot change over the spring to summer months. It is usually full pool by July 4th. But what's 15 feet compared to 1468 feet?

A few years ago (2001, I think) Brazil purchased Thousands of Megawatts of Natural Gas, Diesel, and Heavy Fuel Gensets because their typically reliable hydroelectric power was at risk due to a few years of low rain levels. It was great business for many genset manufacturers. The "Experts" were predicting that it would take 20 years for the reservoirs to fill back to capacity. As luck would have it, one year later after a slightly above average rainy season, all the reservoirs were at capacity and the only thing that dried up was the Genset business in Brazil.

I put a link below to the lake levels around Arizona. The local lakes are very full here. They are releasing water now because of the large snow pack in the mountains (100+inch base). They are afraid that if there is a warm rain, they will not be able to release water fast enough to stop it from going over the tops of some of the dams. That is a lot of water!

Arizona Lake levels