Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lake Mead

dlb

Lake Mead is drying up. Is Powell far behind?

The dry weather is serious here in the Southeast as well. A number of the local lakes are so low that I would not put my boat in them. That being the case my options are rather limited for next summer with out significantly higher rainfall, and that is not on the horizon.

We are under water restrictions banning any outdoor use, and it isn't even the drier time of year.

The dry weather is serious here in the Southeast as well. A number of the local lakes are so low that I would not put my boat in them. That being the case my options are rather limited for next summer with out significantly higher rainfall, and that is not on the horizon.

We are under water restrictions banning any outdoor use, and it isn't even the drier time of year.

Tell me about it. We are under the same restrictions here. One lake, Allatoona, a typically very busy lake on the weekends, is finally following the "rule curve" for filling, but they are operating at the lowest possible hydroelectric generation schedule they can. As soon as they generate more power it will drop...

My favorite lake, Carter's lake is picking up the slack by generating more power and it refuses to fill up at least to the boat ramps...

what a bad year to have a brand new boat....

Pray for Rain!!!

Tell me about it. We are under the same restrictions here. One lake, Allatoona, a typically very busy lake on the weekends, is finally following the "rule curve" for filling, but they are operating at the lowest possible hydroelectric generation schedule they can. As soon as they generate more power it will drop...

My favorite lake, Carter's lake is picking up the slack by generating more power and it refuses to fill up at least to the boat ramps...

what a bad year to have a brand new boat....

Pray for Rain!!!

Last months National Geographic has an article on water in the Colorado River basin, basically, the last 50 years has been a monsoon compared to the last 2000 based on analysis of tree ring growth (less water=tighter rings), so between that and the current drought I would think Lake Powell, Mead, Havasu etc. will be getting lower.

Edited by TheBlackPearl

Hmmm... We were planning on hitting Mead in April.

Is it really that low? We've never been before.

NorCal is at 100% of snow capacity at the last reading. But if we have a severe heat wave and melt it all too fast, that could be bad for water supplies.

Hmmm... We were planning on hitting Mead in April.

Is it really that low? We've never been before.

NorCal is at 100% of snow capacity at the last reading. But if we have a severe heat wave and melt it all too fast, that could be bad for water supplies.

We maybe at 100% now but unless we increase that the lakes will not fill up here to make up for the lack of rain/snow last year.

100% for normal YTD? :unsure: Or 100% for a normal year? :unsure: Big difference.

We maybe at 100% now but unless we increase that the lakes will not fill up here to make up for the lack of rain/snow last year.

Another storm coming Wednesday-Friday of next week. Enjoy this week-end of spring-like weather. Thumbup.gif

It's bad here in the SE too. We were under water restrictions in late-summer. And I think Atlanta has about a month of water left :eek:

my lake (lake Wylie) is about 6 foot below normal. Really sucks because that lake isn't all that deep to begin with. Have to really careful with the Wedge down!

It's bad here in the SE too. We were under water restrictions in late-summer. And I think Atlanta has about a month of water left :eek:

my lake (lake Wylie) is about 6 foot below normal. Really sucks because that lake isn't all that deep to begin with. Have to really careful with the Wedge down!

You're worried about 6'.... ROFL.gif we were over 210' down, back to only 185' down now.

You're worried about 6'.... ROFL.gif we were over 210' down, back to only 185' down now.

Considering the deepest point in the lake is only 60 feet (maybe) and most places are 20-30 feet deep....yeah, I'm worried.

But yeah, 210' down is certainly impressive

Yes, 100% of snow pack 'for the year'. We obviously need more, and hopefully we'll still get it since our typical rainy season isn't over for another month.

I was just responding to the lack of water mentioned above.

Weather is just such a complex thing. Can't see how anyone can think they have a grip on where it's going.

Considering the deepest point in the lake is only 60 feet (maybe) and most places are 20-30 feet deep....yeah, I'm worried.

But yeah, 210' down is certainly impressive

It's a bit different in Cali, dude. All your lakes are unreal deep. I was at Shasta in August & it was over 125' low. Sounds like it could be high come springtime with all the snow in the mountains. Guess they will open the dam & let the Delta have some. Not sure if they have a way of plumbing it elsewhere.

210' low around here & we wouldn't have any ground water at all, much less lakes. Even Coeur d'Alene is only 178' deep.

I guess there is one exception.... Pend Oreille is 1150' deep. But we don't do any riding there......too many submarines foolin around underneath.

The little puddle we usually ski on, Liberty, is only 27' deep and rarely fluctuates more than a couple feet.

HI All,

I usually boaton a chain of lakes in Northern Wisconsin, and last summer it was so low, I could not get my boat into the shore lift. I moved it out 2' from the dock and still couldn't get it in there. There was little runoff from the snow last winter and the first month of the season there was no rain. They have a Dam that is controlled by the DNR to regulate the level of the lakes but, last year they left it open because the Indians were complaining that there was not enough water to keep the river full of Sturgeon (the ugliest fish known to man)> I was running an outboard smaller boat last year and was able to get away only hitting one stump and one prop. This year Lord willing, I will have my restored Bu and am really hoping that the levels are up to where they should be.

Coming back from Business last fall I saw the Tennessee river near Nashville, Tn, was way down too, it looks like this is far more common than just where I am.

We have no control over the weather, hopefully, we will all get some rain and bring the levels of our water back closer to normal.

Keng

It's a bit different in Cali, dude. All your lakes are unreal deep. I was at Shasta in August & it was over 125' low. Sounds like it could be high come springtime with all the snow in the mountains. Guess they will open the dam & let the Delta have some. Not sure if they have a way of plumbing it elsewhere.

210' low around here & we wouldn't have any ground water at all, much less lakes. Even Coeur d'Alene is only 178' deep.

I guess there is one exception.... Pend Oreille is 1150' deep. But we don't do any riding there......too many submarines foolin around underneath.

The little puddle we usually ski on, Liberty, is only 27' deep and rarely fluctuates more than a couple feet.

I know just joking around. We do have a little deep lake here too. :) It's usually too cold and rough though. Shasta faired better water wise than many other sierra lakes last year, but it'll take more than we've received to date to fill it up. Last year we enjoyed a mild winter, well all mild compared to you northerners, but paid for it but mid summer.

Lake Billy is over 400' deep near the dam & most of the lake is over 200' in depth. We have a few lakes here that are pretty deep.

We should be fine this year. They went from warnings in December of drought by June to recent warnings of spring flooding from all of the snow.

We do have a little deep lake here too. :) It's usually too cold and rough though.

Whats that? The Pacific ocean? ;)

I was at Naciemento for New Years about 5 yrs ago. The locals told me it was 150' low. We still SkySkied without any problems, but their dock was a hoof from the "shoreline". The following June they had enough rain that the lake was full again.

We do have a little deep lake here too. :) It's usually too cold and rough though.

Whats that? The Pacific ocean? ;)

I think he was referring to Lake Tahoe: Maximum depth 1645 ft (second deepest in the U.S.) behind Crater Lake in OR. :)

I think he was referring to Lake Tahoe :)

Aaaaaahhhhhh, for what? Sailing? ;)

In a ski boat? Didn't Centurian design the Tsunami for that lake?

Too bad.... would be some awesome scenery.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
HI All,

I usually boaton a chain of lakes in Northern Wisconsin, and last summer it was so low, I could not get my boat into the shore lift. I moved it out 2' from the dock and still couldn't get it in there. There was little runoff from the snow last winter and the first month of the season there was no rain. They have a Dam that is controlled by the DNR to regulate the level of the lakes but, last year they left it open because the Indians were complaining that there was not enough water to keep the river full of Sturgeon (the ugliest fish known to man)> I was running an outboard smaller boat last year and was able to get away only hitting one stump and one prop. This year Lord willing, I will have my restored Bu and am really hoping that the levels are up to where they should be.

Coming back from Business last fall I saw the Tennessee river near Nashville, Tn, was way down too, it looks like this is far more common than just where I am.

We have no control over the weather, hopefully, we will all get some rain and bring the levels of our water back closer to normal.

Keng

Sounds a lot like the Minocqua chain.

Hi guys just thought I add my 2 cents worth. I live in Cincinnati and just got back from Las Vegas and I went to check out Hoover Dam last weekend. I was surprised to see how low Lake Mead was, here in Cincy lakes were very low last summer and were hoping it's better this summer. I wish all of you in the southwest lots and lots of rain this spring

Just saw an article on Lake Mead this AM. Point was that in 15 years it could be WAYY low, as in unable to meet demands of Las Vegas and AZ. Now that is a scary thought- (but if you saw the waste of H2O in the vegas area, maybe that's understandable!)

Big changes in our habits may be necessary....

Don't forget that cold, and most debris laden of lakes (at least in the warmer end) , Lake Chelan, at 1468' deep, 3rd deepest in Cont. US. No fluctuation in that lake level to speak of.

Don't forget that cold, and most debris laden of lakes (at least in the warmer end) , Lake Chelan, at 1468' deep, 3rd deepest in Cont. US. No fluctuation in that lake level to speak of.

Geez, didn't even think of Chelan. Never new it was that deep. I have heard there is a glacier up on the north end though.

We usually hang out on Banks or Roosevelt instead...... their waaaaay warmer!