Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sunsetter LXI

wedge88

My parents have always had the Sunsetter LXI which I think is the best crossover ski boat to slalom, board, and foot behind. How many people would consider buying a new Sunsetter LXI if it were offered on the SV23 haul like previous years? My wife and I just got the response lxi which is perfect for us but limited in storage compared to my parents 04 Sunsetter LXI.

I know the chances of Malibu bringing this boat back on this haul will most likely not happen but was just curious how many people would buy it. We are a direct drive family and I know the V-Drives are getting much better for slalom but I don't think I could get away from DD and I think a lot of other people feel the same way.

This is just for fun or to dream.

Lots of people feel that way, unfortunately they're not the same people that are buying boats. The new 07 /08 RLXi is close enough to the old SLXi from a space perspective, it skis better than the SLXi's, and it allows Malibu to consolidate and have one current skiing platform. No way you'll see the old SLXi return

Lots of people feel that way, unfortunately they're not the same people that are buying boats. The new 07 /08 RLXi is close enough to the old SLXi from a space perspective, it skis better than the SLXi's, and it allows Malibu to consolidate and have one current skiing platform. No way you'll see the old SLXi return

I know we won't see one again but I disagree about the 08' RLXi being close to the Sunsetter in storage. I looked thru one for an hour at the boat show and more when we picked our boat up and it is definitely better than my 06 RLXi but still no where near the SLXi. It is hard to fit a good size buoy up front and the rear compartment is much shallower. I can see why malibu did this but it seems like there were so many SLXi's out there. I guess a lot of those people went to V-Drive.

I know we won't see one again but I disagree about the 08' RLXi being close to the Sunsetter in storage. I looked thru one for an hour at the boat show and more when we picked our boat up and it is definitely better than my 06 RLXi but still no where near the SLXi. It is hard to fit a good size buoy up front and the rear compartment is much shallower. I can see why malibu did this but it seems like there were so many SLXi's out there. I guess a lot of those people went to V-Drive.

How'd you look at the 08 one at the boat show when it was 10' up in the air?

How'd you look at the 08 one at the boat show when it was 10' up in the air?

Well it was the boat show boat but we were up at the dealers on Monday before the show and got to see that boat up close. We signed all our paperwork for our boat and then got a sneak peak. They actually have 2 other new RLXis on the lot. That blue boat was probably the prettiest color blue I have seen. My dad kept going back to the booth.

Interesting how MC came out with the PS214 when there isn't a market for the SLXi anymore. Here is the real problem, boats are getting too dang expensive and too many people are basically doing mortgages to afford them. Even if they did raise the dead, I wouldn't be able to afford one. I bet a new SLXi would run in the 50k neighborhood.

I had a 2005 SLXI for half a summer and LOVED it. No Silent Riders ....gave it a mean sound.

From a sales standpoint, there was more interest in v-drives and the Rlxi.

post-195-1202920430_thumb.jpg

Edited by Madmanacrossthewater
Interesting how MC came out with the PS214 when there isn't a market for the SLXi anymore. Here is the real problem, boats are getting too dang expensive and too many people are basically doing mortgages to afford them. Even if they did raise the dead, I wouldn't be able to afford one. I bet a new SLXi would run in the 50k neighborhood.

I think they would be more than 50K. THat is around what my parents cost in 2004. They are getting too expensive. It amazes me the people that are buying these boats. We bought a used RLXi which fit the bill for us but a neighbor bought a Tige last year that was well over 70K and all he does is ride around and tube. Kids don't wakeboard and his friends have malibus that they ski and foot behind. 70K to ride around!! Rediculous

I think they would be more than 50K. THat is around what my parents cost in 2004. They are getting too expensive. It amazes me the people that are buying these boats. We bought a used RLXi which fit the bill for us but a neighbor bought a Tige last year that was well over 70K and all he does is ride around and tube. Kids don't wakeboard and his friends have malibus that they ski and foot behind. 70K to ride around!! Rediculous

I see this all the time, the lake i frequent is flooded with Mastercraft's and i'll bet half of them never have any boards in the rack, probably don't even know how to board!!! people are throwing money around like it's candy, wish they would share. Clap.gif

The price of all boats is going way up, which is probably why boat ownership is declining. Look in a boating magazine and you won't find very many boats under $25k anymore.

I had a SLXI in 1999. I now have a RLXI. I would love to have that old SLXI boat back. We ran it in the slalom course and many of our group would choose the SLXI over thier own Centurians and Mastercrafts. Great boat! Bring it back!

The SLXI is arguably the best crossover boat made, infact I've got a mint one for sale! When the RLXI burst on the scene unfortunately it replaced the beloved SLXI.

When you say cross over, do you mean crossing over from one side of the wake to the other to go around a bouy? Tease2.gif

The SLXI is arguably the best crossover boat made, infact I've got a mint one for sale! When the RLXI burst on the scene unfortunately it replaced the beloved SLXI.

When you say cross over, do you mean crossing over from one side of the wake to the other to go around a bouy? Tease2.gif

Both...whether in the water or in the air. Thumbup.gif