Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Impeller stuck

All,

I winterized my '03 Sunsetter for the first time this year- did the plug and hose pulling method (no antifreeze). Anyway, when I got to the impeller, I couldn't pull it. I don't know if it's stuck or otherwise "frozen." Anybody have any ideas? I'll probably need a new one when it's all said and done and I need a new sensor and maybe other parts. Are there online dealers for bu parts?

Spray some binding lube in the housing and kick the motor over with the lanyard pulled (to prevent starting). Use two paint can openers to get behind the impeller and pull it out.

www.skidim.com

Spray wd-40 or some other lubricant in and around impeller then bump over the eng. Grasp with pliers and pull out and if that didn't work you’re going to need to take off the impeller housing.

Bumping the engine should do the trick. The paint can openers have worked great for me in the past. Or get some needlenose pliers & don't be shy about pulling on it.

Needlenose has always worked great for me too, but do be careful about marring the inside of the housing as this can cause an uneven surface for the impeller to rub on and make it wear faster

Sure, lube and bump the engine. Paint can openers, too, are a good idea. Needle-nosed pliers/vice-grips

come in handy. Or, for about a $40 one-time investment, you can get an impeller puller and be set

(sea-dog's cost less than Jabsco).

www.skidim.com is a good source for parts. www.go2marine.com carries the Sea-dog pullers. www.overtons.com

carries the impeller.

Sure, lube and bump the engine. Paint can openers, too, are a good idea. Needle-nosed pliers/vice-grips

come in handy. Or, for about a $40 one-time investment, you can get an impeller puller and be set

(sea-dog's cost less than Jabsco).

www.skidim.com is a good source for parts. www.go2marine.com carries the Sea-dog pullers. www.overtons.com

carries the impeller.

Plus1.gif