Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

RUMOR'S? OR NOT?

showtime

So, i stopped by my Ski-doo dealer which is also a Mastercraft dealer and got bsin' with a salesman and he tell's me that MC is coming out with a diesel powered wakeboard boat. He couldn't say much but he did tell me it was a 10K adder for the new powerplant. Up here it's oil country everybody, i mean everybody is running a diesel that jacked up, big wheels, chipped, exhaust etc. which is cool but diesel in a boat!!!!....i not sure about. If you thought that fumes were bad surfin' behind a gas job imagine a diesel.

Anybody else here this?

So, i stopped by my Ski-doo dealer which is also a Mastercraft dealer and got bsin' with a salesman and he tell's me that MC is coming out with a diesel powered wakeboard boat. He couldn't say much but he did tell me it was a 10K adder for the new powerplant. Up here it's oil country everybody, i mean everybody is running a diesel that jacked up, big wheels, chipped, exhaust etc. which is cool but diesel in a boat!!!!....i not sure about. If you thought that fumes were bad surfin' behind a gas job imagine a diesel.

Anybody else here this?

Yes MC will have an available diesel upgrade on some of there models. Its a converted Audi/VW engine and I believe its available on mostly just there ski boats.

It's already available in the ski boat. It's a VAG 6 cylinder TDI. You can read all about it on WakeORIGIN.com.

Currently they don't have a TDI engine that is powerful enough for wakeboard duty, and likely it would need to be one of VAG's 8 cylinder engines, which eliminates a lot of the advantages of the smaller, lighter, 6 cylinder.

It's already available in the ski boat. It's a VAG 6 cylinder TDI. You can read all about it on WakeORIGIN.com.

Currently they don't have a TDI engine that is powerful enough for wakeboard duty, and likely it would need to be one of VAG's 8 cylinder engines, which eliminates a lot of the advantages of the smaller, lighter, 6 cylinder.

In a ski boat...a diesel is heavy wouldn't that make for a bad ski wake. Personally i'm a wakeboarder and weight is good but still if you stick that diesel in the back you would need bow ballast just to balance out therwise you would have some bad bow rise. Someone mentioned not enough power, can't they do what they do on trucks put on an intake, chip, and a stright pipe out the back...trucks with these few upgrades are gaining 100+ horse power.

so do you have to trailer it just to get gas during the day? I haven't noticed any diesel on the water where we go.....

Maybe the mileage is good enough you don't need gas every day?

...If you thought that fumes were bad surfin' behind a gas job imagine a diesel.

Actually the newer technology diesels run much cleaner. I was standing right near the tailpipe of an 08 F-450 the other day and not only are they much quieter than older models they're not near as smelly. The new ultra-low sulfer diesel fuel is probably a large part of that.

...If you thought that fumes were bad surfin' behind a gas job imagine a diesel.

Actually the newer technology diesels run much cleaner. I was standing right near the tailpipe of an 08 F-450 the other day and not only are they much quieter than older models they're not near as smelly. The new ultra-low sulfer diesel fuel is probably a large part of that.

Its a scam to rasie the cost of Diesel!!! Diesel use to be cheaper than unleaded now it more!!!!!!!! Ranting.gif and my fuel mileage has suffered

The MC (Audi TDI) diesel is available in the X Star for 2008. It was available in the Prostars in '07. But the salesman was lying to the thread starter about price. MSRP on the upgrade is actually in the neighborhood of $25,000+. Kind of stupid expensive if you ask me.

Edited by BrianM

A 190 fitted with the Volkswagen 225-6 Diesel engine and received full IWSF approval as a World Record Capability Tow Boat this fall.

This technology is currently being used primarily overseas and not much here in the states. Agreed it's a costly upgrade, but in some areas of the world it must make sense.

That's what I was going to mention. I'm sure the percentage of these boats shipped overseas is pretty small, but gasoline isn't as readily available in other regions like it is here in the US. I know of a crew in Germany that converted their Bu to run on LPG. How wierd would that be swapping out bbq grill tanks as a "fill-up". Seems to work just fine for them though.

There is a guy on Wakeworld who switched out the engine in his X star with a yanmar diesel. He said it actually didn't cost him that much. I think i remember him saying somewhere between

5-10K. and he said that it cut his fuel consumption in half. He was completely sacked out and i think it went from something like 12 GPH to 6 GPH.

Also i think the reduced fuel consumption offsets the need to get fuel on the water. However i grew up on the delta and there are places there where you can get diesel. I'm sure the intercoastal waterways in Florida are the same way.

Its a scam to rasie the cost of Diesel!!! Diesel use to be cheaper than unleaded now it more!!!!!!!! Ranting.gif and my fuel mileage has suffered

Then they've been scamming all of Europe for years. They've had ULSD for a long time, personally I'm really happy that it is finally becoming a standard, because this means that a whole slew of Diesel cars are about to hit the states.

Diesel prices have gone up because the demand has skyrocketed. Around here Diesel prices have always been at or above premium, or at least since I started checking (7 years or so). Diesel should cost less than gasoline, but hey, if they can get 3.25/gal why wouldn't they?

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe the industry will be putting something like this in new/future models:

Click here!

Click here!

I wonder what kind of torque it is producing?

That would fill the gap that GM is leaving if the rumors are true about the end of the 8.1.

-Dave

I usually drive a diesel all summer but not this year. I don't want to pay 3.60 per gallon for fuel. I only get to put 6000 miles on the truck so it doesn't get broke in and the milage is not that good. Dontknow.gif

Maybe the industry will be putting something like this in new/future models:

Click here!

Click here!

I wonder what kind of torque it is producing?

That would fill the gap that GM is leaving if the rumors are true about the end of the 8.1.

-Dave

I wonder what the upcharge would be. Those don't look cheap.

This is very true, I remember when Diesel was half the price of Regular. But that is when diesel was not very popular (can't even remember what year that was anymore), once they got rid of the major smoke blowing out of the exhaust, made them quite and got the increased hp by using turbo's it changed it all.

It's supply and demand and it's getting to be a bunch of BS, we have the supply and more. I see gas prices around here at work and I can't imagine how much worse it's going to get.

Today at Shell Reg. Unleaded $432 per/gallon

Sup. Unleaded $4.54 per/gallon

I know this place is a little crazy but at our record highs I bet this is what we will see during this summer. Maybe even $4.50 for Reg. Unleaded.

When is this going to stop

Rant Rant Whistling.gif