Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

For those about to foot....

tgaugh

Well first off thanks to Alibuma & FijiRob, last weekend I had my first opportunity to go 'footin ever. Crazy.gif As a non-skier, and never barefooting before, this proved to be an asinine plan. It was a great time, and I think I was too fat for the boat to actually go fast enough, but it went fast enough to let me know who was in charge! I cannot believe nothing was broken, there seemed to be sooo many limbs flying around me underwater when I crashed, I think they were all mine which is what scared me.

Apparently, there is a protective suit to wear when performing this…Well they weren’t giving them out free at the launch so I missed out on that!

So for those out there that ‘foot regularly, my hats off to you! Thoroughly impressed and I salute you Rockon.gif – that is by far the most dangerous thing I have done on the water.

Check it out the disaster in my gallery.

If you work up the nerve to try it again, I've got some suggestions for you. You started with your body behind the boom, which made spinning around very difficult. You wound up with your torso in a vertical position and reaching mostly forward with your arms. Rather than riding on the water where your legs turn into your butt, you should be riding on the small of your back (where your back turns into your butt). Your torso should be mostly horizontal and your arms should be reaching mostly up to the boom.

When I start, I actually lay over the top of the boom. It can take it. Once the boat's doing about 10-15 mph, I push up off the boom and turn so that I strike the water with my outside hip. All in the same motion, I pull on the boom to bring my body under it and swing my feet around and up so that I'm riding on the small of my back. Then, slowly drop your heels in and stand up. That's it. Most of the time I don't even wear my suit, just a pair of barefoot shorts and ski vest. I don't spend much time in the water. Even though I'm 230lbs, I can still stand up at slower speeds than most people think.

I hope you try it again. It's a cool feeling to stand on your feet. And, nothing beats the rush of a longline deepwater start.

Another way to start is to start watching you professionals do it. I ain't been right since, neck/back/chest/arms - I've been drinking it off for days now. It is the only variable in the weekend so I am blaming all past/present pain on it!

All the pain's worth it the first time you stand up. I beat the $h!t out of myself learning how to do it behind our old I/O.

I'll give you this one too. When you want to stop, just bring your feet together, pitch the handle or let go of the boom, and slowly lean back as you lose speed. You can just drop into the water like you were on skis. I didn't know this at first and used to jump in the air and crash backwards. Duh... Crazy.gif