Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is this a fair question to ask a dealer?

Longjohn

Guys and Gals,

Since I bought my boat out of state from a private party, is it unethical to ask my local Malibu dealer to take me out on the lake for an overview on my new 05 VLX? Obviously, this would be a paid deal. I could really use an expert to show me how everything works since I am not familar with this type of boat. Then I would like to ask if I can spend an hour or so with the mechanic to learn how to replace/fix part that could fail on the lake (paid deal as well).

The dealer is a cool guy who actually sold me on valid reasons to leave Mastercraft and buy Malibu. I simply could not pay new prices, and found a good used boat on my own.

Is the dealer going to be upset that I didn't buy a boat from him (he didn't have anything used in my price range), but ask him for service?

Prior to buying my used Malibu, I spent $600 in accessories from his shop. And I plan on buying all my future accessories from him too.

Thanks.

I have done something similar in the past. I offered to pay (at the going rate) for a mechanic's time for 1 hour. It was the best money I ever spent. Not only did I learn a lot, it set up a great relationship with the Service Advisor (and the mechanic) who saw that I wasn't just out for free service.

Great plan.

Guys and Gals,

Since I bought my boat out of state from a private party, is it unethical to ask my local Malibu dealer to take me out on the lake for an overview on my new 05 VLX? Obviously, this would be a paid deal. I could really use an expert to show me how everything works since I am not familar with this type of boat. Then I would like to ask if I can spend an hour or so with the mechanic to learn how to replace/fix part that could fail on the lake (paid deal as well).

The dealer is a cool guy who actually sold me on valid reasons to leave Mastercraft and buy Malibu. I simply could not pay new prices, and found a good used boat on my own.

Is the dealer going to be upset that I didn't buy a boat from him (he didn't have anything used in my price range), but ask him for service?

Prior to buying my used Malibu, I spent $600 in accessories from his shop. And I plan on buying all my future accessories from him too.

Thanks.

Fair question for sure. Seems reasonable in your request. I am hopeful your dealer will see this as an opportunity to get paid to sell you your next boat. The one that comes after the one you just bought.

Unless your moving away or your dealer is moving, closing or changing brands,etc, you two are gonna have some kind of relationship that I hope for your sake is positive. Bad dealership experience is enough in many cases for a person decades loyal to a particular boat brand to seek another brand when it comes time for a new boat. Good Luck!

I think it is a fair question, it was a used boat. I also might ask a local crew member if one has time. If you had a MC I also think you don't have much to learn.

Inboards are inboards you just have a more preferable one now Tease2.gif

If your boat is in a warm garage you may get most of what you need prior to starting the season. ( Ya got some Beer.gif )

Spring time will be very busy for your dealer.

It definitely depends on the dealer. I bought mine out of state after talking with my dealer. And they still invite me to their Christmas party, tickets to the boat show, free t-shirts to show off our pride, etc. They really are stand up people & I will be buying my next boat from them & referring friends to them.

Call them & tell them you will pay for the services. My bet is they will tell you up front how they feel about it. Most likely they are just proud that your part of their family now.

If your dealer doesn't respond positively then you could post here or WakeWorld for someone in your area with a similar Bu to do it. Always a good idea to look for a 3rd.

I'm made a number of friends from this site, always good to have more.

If you were in my area I'd do it for free :) OK, it's cost you a couple of pulls.

If you are in Boise the local dealer is Idaho Water Sports. My experience with them has been awesome. There is a guy that works in their Boise store that has posted on this site. A quick search for IWS should bring up the name. Let me know if I can help and good luck.

If you are in Boise the local dealer is Idaho Water Sports. My experience with them has been awesome. There is a guy that works in their Boise store that has posted on this site. A quick search for IWS should bring up the name. Let me know if I can help and good luck.

Agreed.

I have had great experience with them. I would guess that if you offer to pay, and request a time that they aren't swamped with work, they would be more than willing to help out. Talk to Jason.

Yes michael,

I am the Saturday/evening/boatshow guy. I have been looking forward to running into you but I don't believe we have connected yet. Drop by some saturday.

Yahoo.gifYahoo.gifYahoo.gif