Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Removing "Malibu" aluminum logo from the side of the 2007 VLX

Bryan Schumacher

Has anyone removed the aluminum "Malibu" logo from the rear sides of a 2007 vlx (sorry put 2005 in the subject by accicent)? I would like to take them off and polish them up a bit, but am having a hard time removing the logo. There are 2 screws holding it in, but it must also be "glued" since the 2 screws are out and I still can't get it to budge.

Any ideas? My next thought is using a heat gun, but thought I'd check first to make sure I'm not missing something.

Thanks!

Bryan

Edited by Bryan Schumacher

I just bought some of those logos. There is two sided tape on the whole back side of the new ones I got. Assuming yours are probably the same, thats going to be tough getting all of it off. The ones I got are stainless, ( hopefully yours are too ) which wont bend up as easy as aluminum when pulling them off. A heat gun, and there is a plastic scraper made for taking off automobile moldings, can't remember who makes them. If you can find one of these it sure would help! Good luck.

could you get some heavy fishing line behind it to "cut" the tape.. would be a lot safer for the emblems to get them off that way, then remove the residue from the boat, and back of the emblem

Lot less risk of bending the emblem from trying to pry, or wedge some sort of scraper back there

I'd find a way to polish them without taking them off or take it in to a body shop to have them taken off. Just my $.02 :)

A guy who builds his own wings & boards probably isn't going to take it to any shop. I get the impression Bryan is kind of a hands on type of guy.

The high test fishing line is a great idea. Wrap it around handles on either end. Heat the logo up a bit & I bet it cuts right off. Then just heat up whats left & it should peel right off.

Has anyone removed the aluminum "Malibu" logo from the rear sides of a 2007 vlx (sorry put 2005 in the subject by accicent)? I would like to take them off and polish them up a bit, but am having a hard time removing the logo. There are 2 screws holding it in, but it must also be "glued" since the 2 screws are out and I still can't get it to budge.

Any ideas? My next thought is using a heat gun, but thought I'd check first to make sure I'm not missing something.

Thanks!

Bryan

They make a "finish safe" decal remover that will soften the tape & silicone so it will loosen up - Car parts Store

The nice thing about Stainless is that it's pretty hard, so unless you have some serious dock rash, you shouldn't need to do much aggressive polishing. Because of how they're secured (not so much the 3M tape, but the screws), I would recommend leaving them in place. Pulling those screws out and putting them in is just asking for gelcoat damage (no matter how careful you are).

Mask off the surrounding area and go to town with your random orbital and a light polishing compound.