Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cold feet on new purchase...help!

Longjohn

Okay,

So I verbally committed to a guy to buy his 2005 VLX Wakesetter. I have not seen this boat except for a few pics. I called his local Malibu dealer who serviced this boat and spoke with 2 different people. Both guys spoke very highly of boat and said it was in excellent condition and well maintained (150 hours).

I had a friend of mine go check out the boat as well and my friend said it is in great condition with exception to a few things:

1. Some rust on the trailer axles and fender.

2. A medium size rust spot on the large cast iron casing that sits under the rear seat where all the pumps are located.

3. Tires have only 1-2 years left. (odd for a 3 year old trailer)

4. The boat in pics I saw looked black/white and the owner said it was black/white. In the pics my friend took, I can see a blue stripe as well. Not a big deal, but I am not a huge fan of blue.

Also, the owner had not winterized the boat yet. It had been stored in his heated shop. BUT, the boat was only used 1 hour this past summer. So, I am concerned about the boat sitting and getting injectors all clogged up, causing long term engine problems.

The boat is now at his local dealer. They are going to go through it for me and winterize it. I plan to go over Tuesday to pay for it and tow it home.

Intially, I was totally stoked about this boat. I am always true to my word. So, since I already verbally committed, I feel like I need to follow through on the deal.

HELP....what are your thoughts? I would post the pics that I have, but it won't allow to post them.

If you like the price and it's the boat you want don't worry about the other stuff it can be fixed. As far as sitting don't worry abou that if it was in a heated shop. A little stabil or heat in the gas you will have nothing to worry about as far as injectors go. I would however ask if it's been in salt water, it's kind of weird for all that rust on a freshwater boat on the inside. If you were told the boat was white and black by the seller yet has blue on it to that is reason enough to back out of the deal if you don't like the blue on the boat. You're going to have to look at it everyday you need to be happy with the color.

Edited by 06vlx

2. A medium size rust spot on the large cast iron casing that sits under the rear seat where all the pumps are located.

4. The boat in pics I saw looked black/white and the owner said it was black/white. In the pics my friend took, I can see a blue stripe as well. Not a big deal, but I am not a huge fan of blue.

The boat is now at his local dealer. They are going to go through it for me and winterize it. I plan to go over Tuesday to pay for it and tow it home.

#1= Normal, paint on trailers takes a hit from a stone and rust shows up, no biggee.

#2= The bilge area will always have a little water in it for one reason or another, therefor a very humid place, any un-painted, particularly cast iron stuff is gonna get superficial rust really fast, no biggee.

#3= Trailer tires only last ~5 years depending on mileage and storage conditions. Those sound normal to me.

#4= Like other post, if you really can't live with the color, walk. I don't think it would be that big a deal, you're probably getting a good price? I bought my boat used and had no say in anything about the color or options but, I saved $10K and it was ready to hit the water with all accessories included. (figure that saved me another ~$500)

Now, here's the thing that worries me, and it's not the lack of winterization or that gas in the tank. I would never buy a boat without test driving it first. The fact that the dealer is winterizing it and you're just going to pick it up, tow it home and store it for a few months is not something I would do but, to each his own.

If you are not sure that everything is on the up and up, take the boat to a dealer you trust and do some additional investigation.

It is a big purchase, and if it may not be exactly what you are looking for it might not be worth the hastle that could come. Yes, I have read your earlier posts. Everything might be just fine though. Good luck in your travels :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

#1= Normal, paint on trailers takes a hit from a stone and rust shows up, no biggee.

#2= The bilge area will always have a little water in it for one reason or another, therefor a very humid place, any un-painted, particularly cast iron stuff is gonna get superficial rust really fast, no biggee.

#3= Trailer tires only last ~5 years depending on mileage and storage conditions. Those sound normal to me.

#4= Like other post, if you really can't live with the color, walk. I don't think it would be that big a deal, you're probably getting a good price? I bought my boat used and had no say in anything about the color or options but, I saved $10K and it was ready to hit the water with all accessories included. (figure that saved me another ~$500)

Now, here's the thing that worries me, and it's not the lack of winterization or that gas in the tank. I would never buy a boat without test driving it first. The fact that the dealer is winterizing it and you're just going to pick it up, tow it home and store it for a few months is not something I would do but, to each his own.

I agree, I think that the gas would be the one thing to worry me. You might pose the question to him about Stabil in the gas. Just because it wasn't winterized doesn't necessarily mean that he didn't pay attention to that. And to be honest, I'm not sure how much of a worry it should be anyway. Stabil or Heat won't clean it out (neither of those products have cleaning properties to them), but a good dedicated fuel system cleaner should. If the boat only had 1 hour on it this past summer, then with 150 on the hourmeter you would think that it saw plenty of use & care over the prior summers. I would think that a good fuel system cleaner along with replacement of the fuel filter should take care of any potential problems.

Colors....that's personal preference. Only you can make that call.

Surface rust on the axle isn't abnormal at all. Rust on the seat base seems odd.... aren't they aluminum?

Even if you had to pull the injectors & have them cleaned out, thats maybe a $400 expense at worst, less if you pull them yourself. I doubt that anything you listed could amount to long term engine problems.

Years ago I bought a 4 yr old MC Prostar 205 that had been sitting in a barn for 3 - 4 years & only had like 60 hours on it. The only issues I had with it were rotted threads in the cover & dried out belts & hoses. One good tuneup & the boat gave me years of good use.

I can't test drive, because the lakes are frozen. Thanks for the info. I should be okay based on your feedback. Thanks guys.....this site is great.

I plan to take the 13 hour one way drive Monday or Tues. Not looking forward to that.

John

Isn't that the V-Drive? The paint on my 06 peeled up within the first season. The paint doesn't seem to stick to the porous surface for some reason. A whole skin of paint has pealed up on my last 2 boats.

If the lakes are frozen then have the dealer hook a fake a lake up to it and run it for 20 or so min. and see how smooth it runs. It sounds like it's fine other than a startup and test drive away!!! Good luck.

If the lakes are frozen then have the dealer hook a fake a lake up to it and run it for 20 or so min. and see how smooth it runs. It sounds like it's fine other than a startup and test drive away!!! Good luck.

Plus1.gif

If the dealer is going to winterize it for him, they will definitely run the boat. If the tank is not full, you could fill it with fresh fuel and then add stabil during winterization.

Plus1.gif At least you would know if the engine is idling and running good. That's half (or more) of the battle.

Isn't that the V-Drive? The paint on my 06 peeled up within the first season. The paint doesn't seem to stick to the porous surface for some reason. A whole skin of paint has pealed up on my last 2 boats.

Plus1.gif

It sounds like the V-drive to me to, mine did the same thing.

I would at least have them run it for you before you pick it up, just for the peace of mind. Good luck Thumbup.gif

Sounds like a good boat to me also. But I would try and be there when its running and have the mechanic put it through its paces, check everything out from head to toe before putting it to bed for the winter. Better yet, get a friend that is a boat mechanic to go with you if feasible.

Your first impression generally gives you a lot of information, so if still in doubt, I would listen to your inner voice/conscience; its there for a reason.

Best of luck.

Again, I appreciate all the feedback. I will post pictures once I return with the boat. I also didn't realize there are different levels of memberships to this site....free versus pay. I plan to join as a CrewChief when I return. I have received a TON of information from this site over the past few weeks and I certainly owe back.

Thanks much!

John

Again, I appreciate all the feedback. I will post pictures once I return with the boat. I also didn't realize there are different levels of memberships to this site....free versus pay. I plan to join as a CrewChief when I return. I have received a TON of information from this site over the past few weeks and I certainly owe back.

Thanks much!

John

Congrats with the purchase, and welcome to the crew.

:werule:

Thanks much!

John

Plus1.gif

You get it back and more with the great vendor discounts and member only group buys. If anyone else hasn't joined that ever has to buy anything for their 'Bu, you should. (end of plug) Thumbup.gif

I finally got the boat home after a 15 hour drive on ice and snow covered roads. Cars and trucks were off the freeway all the way through Wyoming. The boat was filthy by the time I got her home, but spent the weekend detailing. Here are few pics.

post-5596-1200436009_thumb.jpg

post-5596-1200436044_thumb.jpg

By the way, the boat turned out to be in excellent condition. I was nervous spending that kind of money without looking at it myself.

The only thing I don't really like is the big Tital tower speakers. They are alittle big. I might look at having those replaced. Other then that, the boat is great. Looking forward to March/April to dunk it in the water.

John

congrats, nice looking boat. I hope your feet were toasty warm on the drive back (ie: your concerns turned out to be minor?)

edit: I see we posted at the same time. I would give those speakers a chance, Titan makes a good sounding and good looking speaker.

Edited by Cervelo

That left rear trailer tire has a leak.

edit: other than that, looks like a great boat to me.

Edited by Pistol Pete