mlange

GFO Packing Install

mlange

Ok, finally got my GFO packing right today. A few of things learned from this that will hopefully help others in the future.

1 - To remove the old packing... instead of digging it out with a pick, I found it was VERY easy to get it out by sticking a pick into the packing as though I was stabbing it and then holding it in place while I turned the packing nut. Because the packing becomes pretty much threaded into the packing nut, it threaded right out as I turned the packing nut while holding the packing in place with the pick.

2 - While I pulled three rings out, I found today that I only needed two rings to get a good dripless seal and keep it from getting too hot. With three rings I could barely get the packing nut back on.

3 - Most importantly, after putting the new packing in start with it loose and leaking a bit and let it run for a couple of hours like that. If it's still leaking after that then crank it down about 1/8 turn at a time. If you start too tight you'll just bake the packing and not let it settle in.

Hope that helps some others.

Mike

VinRLX

Thanks for the tips, Mike. Will definitely refer back to this when it is time to replace mine.