Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil & filter type and brand

• 3 months later...
The long Mobil-1 is the M1-302.

Getting prepared for my first service. Is there adequate clearance in the 23 LSV w/ 340 Monsoon for the larger filters i.e. Mobile 1 M1-302 or WIX 51060?

I thought all the marine 5.7L are using the GM truck 350cid block so all the filters should work regardless of brand Inmar, Merc. Not an older Ford talking GM only. Dontknow.gif

I thought all the marine 5.7L are using the GM truck 350cid block so all the filters should work regardless of brand Inmar, Merc. Not an older Ford talking GM only. Dontknow.gif

I have not looked closely at the orginal filter. However, If I had to guess, I seem to recall that it was the smaller version.

I know that all of the filters mentioned on the previous list will fit the engine. What I'm not sure about is if in fact the EOM filter is the small version, will the larger version of the oil filter fit in the engine compartment with out intreferring frame, mounting brackets etcs.

I am always the guy who brings up the one missed item.

I use Amsoil Marine 10w40 Full Synthetic and the Amsoil Eao25 Filter. I called Amsoil and told them what I had stock and their technicians told me to use these.

Plus the Synthetic ATF for the Direct drive. In fact, I gained rpm. Nothing Scientific, but 100rpm is what I gained on the top end and the engine feels more free. It is obviously a lighter weight oil then stock.

I use a light duty diesel engine oil,15w-40. Shell even makes this viscosity in a synthetic called Rotella T. I like the Purolator Pure One filters because of their good filtration (10-20 micron), but they are quite restrictive because of the synthetic filter media. The mobil 1 filters also use a syn. media, but are less restictive (20-30 micron filtration). Overall, there is no bad oil or filter on the brand name market.

Just be sure that the oil you use has an API spec of CH-4 or CH-4+. Thats the API specification for "extreme duty". And go with the viscosity that Indmar recommends for your engine. Filters are important, but meeting that API grade is more important.

I use Royal Purple synthetic which is the only one I can find by my house. My Napa dealer will order Amsoil, but it would cost almost $10 per quart with shipping! I also us the Napa 1069 filter.

I have not looked closely at the orginal filter. However, If I had to guess, I seem to recall that it was the smaller version.

I know that all of the filters mentioned on the previous list will fit the engine. What I'm not sure about is if in fact the EOM filter is the small version, will the larger version of the oil filter fit in the engine compartment with out intreferring frame, mounting brackets etcs.

"will the larger version of the oil filter fit in the engine compartment with out intreferring frame, mounting brackets etcs."

Going to the lake this weekend and plan to service engine. I bought the larger oil filter. I'm debating on wether or not to pick up the small filter in case the larger filter will not fit in engine bay. Has anyone installed the larger filter in an 07 LSV 23' w/ Monsoon 340?

• 3 years later...
  • 9 years later...
1 hour ago, shimpdogg said:

I went to the store to pick up some 15w 40 oil and it says heavy duty diesel engines on it. My boat is not diesel.

S or diesle rated is  for heavy duty sevrice.  It's perfect.