Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil & filter type and brand

No need to bash on me, I know I could find this with the search engine but you see Im extremly lazy on fridays. So what I need is type of oil, quanity, oil filter type, and Brands that everyone reccomends .

I belive its HD 40weight, and I think I used Valvoline last time

Any help would be much appricated

Dr. Bling Crazy.gif

Litupelectronics.com

Hey no worries, I can't vouch for the group, but I now use Pennzoil 15w-40, Fram PH5, 5 quarts. Most all inboards will take an even 5 quarts (I have heard the LQ9 and Python may require more), but if you run a "regular" indmar engine in a 'bu, then 5 quarts is the standard. Pennzoil 15w-40 is what the factory calls for, so thats what I'm feedin' my motor, many disagree, and I'm thinkin of switchin to mobil one. There's a lot of haters on Fram, but I use them in everything and have had nothing but good experiences. SO...I stick with it...PH5 fits most any indmar 350 there is. I just checked out your site, it looks like yoiu have some great stuff that would interest a lot of people on here!

Hey no worries, I can't vouch for the group, but I now use Pennzoil 15w-40, Fram PH5, 5 quarts.  Most all inboards will take an even 5 quarts (I have heard the LQ9 and Python may require more), but if you run a "regular" indmar engine in a 'bu, then 5 quarts is the standard.  Pennzoil 15w-40 is what the factory calls for, so thats what I'm feedin' my motor, many disagree, and I'm thinkin of switchin to mobil one.  There's a lot of haters on Fram, but I use them in everything and have had nothing but good experiences.  SO...I stick with it...PH5 fits most any indmar 350 there is.  I just checked out your site, it looks like yoiu have some great stuff that would interest a lot of people on here!

Yea Ive helped out quite a few folkes on this site and always love doing business with the bu' owners . If anyone needs anything feel free to contact me at anytime. Also we will be working with The Crew To setup a group buy for everyone

Neil

Just No questions about the anchor light Tongue.gif

I've never been able to find Pennzoil 15-40 around here, so I use Valvoline. I normaly use NAPA Gold flilters, but have used Mobil 1 filters before. They are better, but probably superadequate if you change your oil at 50 hours. I used to use Fram filters until I saw the insides of one compared to a NAPA Gold. They have half the filtering material and are cearly not as good. There are only a few companies that make all the filters.

I've never been able to find Pennzoil 15-40 around here, so I use Valvoline.  I normaly use NAPA Gold flilters, but have used Mobil 1 filters before.  They are better, but probably superadequate if you change your oil at 50 hours.  I used to use Fram filters until I saw the insides of one compared to a NAPA Gold.  They have half the filtering material and are cearly not as good.  There are only a few companies that make all the filters.

Here's an interesting URL from a former MBO discussion about oil filters.

(I think, Rutat digged that out. I miss him!)

Oil Filter Study

I've never been able to find Pennzoil 15-40 around here, so I use Valvoline.  I normaly use NAPA Gold flilters, but have used Mobil 1 filters before.  They are better, but probably superadequate if you change your oil at 50 hours.  I used to use Fram filters until I saw the insides of one compared to a NAPA Gold.  They have half the filtering material and are cearly not as good.  There are only a few companies that make all the filters.

Here's an interesting URL from a former MBO discussion about oil filters.

(I think, Rutat digged that out. I miss him!)

Oil Filter Study

Where is Rutat?

No, but it's one of the most common filters, (GM 5.7). They actually make 2 of them, the standard one and a short one. I don't know why anyone would get the short one unless they had space restraints. Seems the last time I was in there, the guy tried to give me the short one.

They actually make 3 of them. My Suburban takes a tiny filter. These will not fit on the boat engines. Tell them you want the standard 5.7/350 CI filter. You decide if you want the regular or shorty. Your VD may require the short one. If you have the short one now, the long one is about 2 inches longer. My dealer installed the short one, but there's no need for it on a DD.

Edited by 88Skier

I use a K&N filter. They have a nut built into the bottom of them for easy removal. After literally having to rip the factory installed filter off during the first oil change, I thought I would try these. Snag a couple if you find them on sale.

The longer Mobil-1 filter is the M1-302.

Now if only someone could tell me which Mobil-1 filter to put on a Black Scorpion...

Edited by mlange

Engine Oil Filter All 5.7 Liter:

Pennzoil PZ3

Fram CPH 30 / PH 30

Napa 1069

AC PF25

Penske PN30

Purolator L20049

Castrol CM30

Motorcraft FL10

NAPA 1069

Quaker State QS30

Wix 51069

David,

You're saying that all these will work on the 5.7 Black Scorpion as well? I figured that may be the case, but also recall reading somewhere that where the seal matches up may vary slightly and didn't want to risk anything.

Mike

Engine Oil Filter All 5.7 Liter:

Pennzoil PZ3

Fram CPH 30 / PH 30

Napa 1069

AC PF25

Penske PN30

Purolator L20049

Castrol CM30

Motorcraft FL10

NAPA 1069

Quaker State QS30

Wix 51069

The fran filter has a part number PH5, I ended up going with the bosch premium filter and Mobile oil the whole shabam cost me about 19.00

David,

You're saying that all these will work on the 5.7 Black Scorpion as well?  I figured that may be the case, but also recall reading somewhere that where the seal matches up may vary slightly and didn't want to risk anything.

Mike

Hi Mike,

list is for Indmar Engines.

(Took it of the old MBO).

With the Black Scorpion, I don't know. Sorry!

I've started using K&N.

Please correct me, but some of the problems of filters is not necessarily judged on how much filter product, but it is also important that there is not so much filter that it interferes with flow or pressure. Some filters may have sufficient material to collect debris, but the problem is that there are faulty areas in the filter that allow debris under pressure to escape around joining edges like at the ends of the filter.

Maybe I am wrong or I just read the article and misunderstood.

• 1 year later...

Bump.gif

I presume this filter works on a 5.7 Hammerhead (2004/380HP edition)????

The longer Mobil-1 filter is the M1-302.

Now if only someone could tell me which Mobil-1 filter to put on a Black Scorpion...

• 2 weeks later...
Nice use of the search button. Jun of 05

Thanks, I now know what filter to buy. Which was the one I was going use anyway, I used to use Castrol and have recently switched over to Mobil 1.

AC PF-35 is the long one compared to the PF-25.

Is this Mobil 1, or AC Delco? I quess the bigger the better you can hold another 1/2 a quart.