Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which Malibu Year?

Addictedto6

What year is your Malibu  

305 members have voted

1. 1. What year is your Malibu

• 1986-1982

OK, while we can't have a multi-dimensional poll, latest see the various model years to go with Doug's model poll...

Edited by Addictedto6
OK, while we can't have a multi-dimensional poll, latest see the various model years to go with Doug's model poll...

Good idea.

So far, I'm the poorest guy...with the oldest & smallest boat.

Good idea.

nothing wrong with an older boat. Mines only a year older and no way I would trade it for any of the 2006 even with the coin to do so.

Actually, if I ever needed more space than my '98 RLX, based on everything I've seen the past 18 months, my pursuit would be for the 1999 Sunsetter LXi. Still great slalom wakes... walkthru bow, more room. Fits my needs perfectly.

I think we will see very few boats more than 5 years old and even fewer 10 years old. VD & DD ownership can be like keeping up with the Jones

Plus, think about in 1992 how many boats did MC/Bu/CC make, total? How many of them are totalled or rotting away somewhere. Malibu made 2500 boats in 2004. I bet in 92, the big three made close to that same number. There are just more new boats to be had.

Edited by martho

Good idea.

nothing wrong with an older boat. Mines only a year older and no way I would trade it for any of the 2006 even with the coin to do so.

Same here...SLXI may it RIP Cry.gif

I think we will see very few boats more than 5 years old and even fewer 10 years old.  VD & DD ownership can be like keeping up with the Jones

Plus, think about in 1992 how many boats did MC/Bu/CC make, total?  How many of them are totalled or rotting away somewhere.  Malibu made 2500 boats in 2004.  I bet in 92, the big three made close to that same number.  There are just more new boats to be had.

I'm not planning on swapping out that fast, I have too many toys. ;) My first Malibu was 14 years old. I plan on keeping this one 10. In between I buy the trucks, the motorcycles, and the RVs. Yahoo.gif

I'm not planning on swapping out that fast, I have too many toys.  My first Malibu was 14 years old. I plan on keeping this one 10. In between I buy the trucks, the motorcycles, and the RVs. 

but you still have a 2004 for the poll voting. We will have to run this poll again in 2010. Crazy.gif

50 of the 67 votes are 2000 or newer at this time.

Edited by martho

My 96' doesn't have the bling of the new ones, but suits me just fine. Put me in the antique category I guess.

I proudly take the honor for least amount of bling on this site.

For those who are unfamiliar with the Tantrum it is basically a piece of fiberglass, a pylon, a speedo and 300 HP. (265 hp factory)

I proudly take the honor for least amount of bling on this site.

Jesse, the Tantrum is bling. It doesn't need the add ons.

For those who are unfamiliar with the Tantrum it is basically a piece of fiberglass, a pylon, a speedo and 300 HP. (265 hp factory)

Sounds like my Sporty. :) Besides, bling weighs. Less bling = smaller, softer wake. Thumbup.gif

Edited by NorCaliBu

Functional bling here.

Every little bell and/or whistle is used for a functional purpose.

Well except for the billet Malibu emblems on the seat backs.

But i even remove the side board racks when not in use.

Sounds like my Sporty.  Besides, bling weighs. Less bling = smaller, softer wake.

Many people have discussed this here before and I have yet to agree/disagree with them.

The thought is that even though the RLX and RLXI are bigger boats, the wake is softer. The sporty puts out a great footin wake because the propwash is hard. That is why the footers want the SSP to change the characteristics of the wake for footin on the RLX and RLXi.

I had many people behind my sporty who stated the wake was small, but was very firm. The first few times, I just blew it off. After several comments it made me wonder. Someday I hope to be running 32 off or better to actually have a qualified wake opinion. YMMV

Edited by martho
The thought is that even though the RLX and RLXI are bigger boats, the wake is softer.

At 28 off / 32 mph my Sporty has a smaller and softer wake than a Response LX. Now with that said, I have to work to get my wake nice...we go out with 8-10 gals of fuel and nothing in the boat that doesn't need to be there. My buddy's Rlx can have four people and a full tank of gas and be about the same as when it's empty. If my Sporty is loaded down you're going wake jumping... Crazy.gif

Max @ skier-to-skier said that the 13x12 XMP will increase my holeshot Shocking.gif and soften the wake a bit as well. Yahoo.gif I currently have the stock 13x14 4-Blade CVP.

Also sounds like Max is changing his push on 13" X 11.5" for everyone. (I think he was originally suggesting it was almost like one size fits all.)

I think he's seen that some folks are better suited for the 13" X 12'. A couple of us tried the 11.5" and have exchanged for the 12".

Your boat came stock with a CVP 13x14 4-blade?

Yes.gif I bought it 18 months old with 26 hours. Don't know why it has that prop, but even with the 14 pitch it feels like it's gonna rip your arms off. The XMP just might git'er'dun. Biggrin.gif

Also sounds like Max is changing his push on 13" X 11.5" for everyone.

Based on my preferences and what I want to accomplish he suggested the 13x12. He said that the 13x11.5 would give an even better holeshot (at the sacrafice of top end) than the 13x12 but I don't run weighted so the 13x12 should have more holeshot than I can hang on to.

Edited by NorCaliBu
My 96' doesn't have the bling of the new ones, but suits me just fine.  Put me in the antique category I guess.

Stewart's stainless cup holders is a bling in the right direction though!!