Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

GFO Packing

mlange

I replaced my old wax packing yesterday with GFO packing and am having a hard time getting it set just right.

The question I have is... just how hot should it run? Should it not run hot at all? Is it ok to be hot to the touch?

It's currently running a bit hot even when I've got it backed off a good deal. I definitely have my joints staggered and used both the correct size packing (3/16") and the correct number of rings (3).

Thanks,

Mike

It should not run hot at all. Mine is cool normally and warm at the most after running all day and no...it doesn't drip. I installed it 2-3 years ago. I'd have to look at my old thread on it on MBO.

Kikngls did go back to using two rings and I believe he got it set right.

What I found was that you need to start loose. Don't fret about the water streaming in at first. Give it a little time before you begin to tighten down the shaft nut. Then slowly and ever so slightly begin to tighten the nut. Run the boat at a slow speed and feel the shaft nut. Repeat as necessary.

Once the nut is set appropriately it should feel cool to touch. I don't think it will feel warm at all and if there is black ooze coming out and it is warm you will need to back off the nut and try again.

The cuts on the rings need to be staggered and be clean cuts, but when it is all said and done you should not have be concerned about it again for a while.

My boat has been the dryest its ever been since I put in the GFO.

Just makes me wonder wny Malibu doesn't use GFO in manufacturing. The cost is pennies in comparison to 30K+ boats.

Edited by Jesse

Thanks guys.

You're validating what I was thinking. We're going to do my friend's boat next week and I was also thinking to start loose and tighten it up little by little.

Ill have to just back it off a bit more and let it run for awhile. Hopefully I haven't baked the packing because I don't really want to start over again.

Mike

In addition to staggering the cuts on both rings you also need to cut the material at an angle. I used about a 60 degree angle. What worked for me was to wrap the material around the shaft and use a brand new utility blade to make a perfect cut through the overlapped packing at the same time. The fit was perfect around the shaft, no extra length or too short, and the angles meshed perfectly also. Not that you have to be that anal but that is what I had done. Then only two rings and don't tighten that nut more than what you can do with just your thumb and forefinger. I may leak a tad at first but it will settle in nicely. You will probably adjust it once a little tighter after running a bit but it shouldn't be much.

Rod