Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stupid

I did somthing really dumb yesterday after trailering the boat. I forgot to turn off the engine. It ran for approximately 30-45 seconds. It has the new LCR 320 engine. I checked the impeller and it was fine and put the boat back in the water to run it for a short time. Temp guage read 160 and everything seemed to be fine. Is there anything else I need to worry about other than the impeller and temperature? Crazy.gif

Just avoid any hassles and replace the whole engine right away... Crazy.gif

j/k (obviously) 30-45 seconds isn't long enough to hurt anything beyond the impellor (as long as it wasn't "in gear"). No worries. :)

If it was running fine afterwards....probably no need to worry! Keep an eye on the temp and maybe you may want to order an impeller...just in case you shorten the life of the current one.

Have fun and remember....don't do it again!!

Cheers

Reggie

As long as the impeller is still good your probably fine. I'd also check the muffler bearings, they are probably ok, but running with no water like that they could show some wear as well. Just might want to check...

As long as the impeller is still good your probably fine.  I'd also check the muffler bearings, they are probably ok, but running with no water like that they could show some wear as well.  Just might want to check...

I had the same thing happen awhile back the wife forgot to turn the engine off,ours ran for about two minutes, I put it back in the water everything checked fine. next trip out the impeller went south. I would replace for piece of mind.

I did somthing really dumb yesterday after trailering the boat.  I forgot to turn off the engine.  It ran for approximately 30-45 seconds.  It has the new LCR 320 engine.  I checked the impeller and it was fine and put the boat back in the water to run it for a short time.  Temp guage read 160 and everything seemed to be fine.  Is there anything else I need to worry about other than the impeller and temperature? Crazy.gif

You are not alone. I did the same thing last weekend. I ran like hell to catch the trailer as my friend was pulling the boat out. fortunately I caught up to him in less than 15 seconds. I am not overly worried either.

I do carry a spare impeller with me for generic worry purposes. :-)

Edited by AirChair1

Out here in West Texas you have to dunk your boat into any water you can find. We use to have a course on a little playa lake with a make shift ramp made our of sheet metal. The sheet metal got very slippery, and hot, but it kept the trailer and pickup from sinking into the mud. In order to get out of the lake after we skied we would have to PUSH the pickup "up" the ramp. Sometimes the engines would run for 30-45 seconds. The pump shouldn't get dry and hot in that short amount of time. It never hurt the lifespan or ours.

Now what we did was STUPID, pushing a F-150 with a ski boat!

Out here in West Texas you have to dunk your boat into any water you can find.  We use to have a course on a little playa lake with a make shift ramp made our of sheet metal.  The sheet metal got very slippery, and hot, but it kept the trailer and pickup from sinking into the mud.  In order to get out of the lake after we skied we would have to PUSH the pickup "up" the ramp.  Sometimes the engines would run for 30-45 seconds.  The pump shouldn't get dry and hot in that short amount of time.  It never hurt the lifespan or ours.

That just created one funny visual. Thanks for the info

I did somthing really dumb yesterday after trailering the boat.  I forgot to turn off the engine.  It ran for approximately 30-45 seconds.  It has the new LCR 320 engine.  I checked the impeller and it was fine and put the boat back in the water to run it for a short time.  Temp guage read 160 and everything seemed to be fine.  Is there anything else I need to worry about other than the impeller and temperature? Crazy.gif

I did the same thing..last time out, motor was idling for about 30 - 45 secs. I pulled the impeller last night. What a chore. It was the first impeller I had ever seen and it looked like the bottom was all squished and deformed. I spent the next couple of HOURS trying to get the thing out. Once I got it out I realized that it is supposed to be a little deformed on the bottom. I had quite a learning session last night. Where is the best place to order a spare impeller and gasket?

New impeller---without a doubt.

No worries though. Once I hooked up the fake a lake in preparation of an oil change. Started the engine and after a while I realized that no water was coming out. DUHHHHHHH You have to turn the water on you idiot! That impeller was fried in like 30 secs of dry running. Yours probably is too, but other damage is not likely.

My wife forgot to shut off the engine when I pulled it out of the lake, I realized it when I got stopped in a place to wipe the boat down. Replaced the impeller (which still looked good) and the boat had no problems for the next 6 years that I owned it. It was the Monsoon.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Out here in West Texas you have to dunk your boat into any water you can find.  We use to have a course on a little playa lake with a make shift ramp made our of sheet metal.  The sheet metal got very slippery, and hot, but it kept the trailer and pickup from sinking into the mud.  In order to get out of the lake after we skied we would have to PUSH the pickup "up" the ramp.  Sometimes the engines would run for 30-45 seconds.  The pump shouldn't get dry and hot in that short amount of time.  It never hurt the lifespan or ours.

That just created one funny visual. Thanks for the info

I know, you can picture a couple of rednecks with Tony Lama boots and cut-off Levis trying to load the boat, while holding a Lone Star longneck, huh?

The only think missing is the little quote cloud saying "Hey watch this #$%&"

You wouldn't be too far off!

Two summers ago I was teaching skiing at a camp and the ramp was fairly steep and short at the top. Each time I pulled the boat out the truck would lose traction as it ran off the upper end of the ramp. In order to prevent having the camp caretaker having to get his tractor as he was cooking supper for the whole group. I used my Flightcraft 18XLT to push the truck up the ramp and it worked great. As soon as the boat was clear of the water I turned the motor off.

OldHickory

In my pre-malibu days early 80's we used my buddiies Nautique 200o to push my 4-banger Toyota 4-wheel drive up the ramp all the time like someone said above just cut the key when the engine breaks water. Works like a champ.

I did the same thing. Other than being very embarrassed while others at the ramp were staring at my not so quiet boat running, I am quite sure you did no damage other than perhaps the impeller. Replace it and keep your old one as a spare, if it passes inspection when you pull it. You'll be fine as far as the engine goes.

I did the same thing..last time out, motor was idling for about 30 - 45 secs. I pulled the impeller last night. What a chore. It was the first impeller I had ever seen and it looked like the bottom was all squished and deformed. I spent the next couple of HOURS trying to get the thing out. Once I got it out I realized that it is supposed to be a little deformed on the bottom. I had quite a learning session last night. Where is the best place to order a spare impeller and gasket?

Peacock,

Call Chris at Save a Buck Marine. I ordered 3 and they shipped them out of Seattle for a grand total of $75.90 AND I got them the next day. Genuine Johnson Impellors. I was impressed. 813 909 2728 If you can't get thru let me know, I have Chris' cell number too.

If your in a jam you can call me and pick up one of mine. Wait, does your boat use the same one as the Monsoon? I don't know what engine you have.

Rod

John, you forgot to mention this to me yesterday when we spoke, Ryan told me all about it last night, you win the darwin award for this month,  Crazy.gif

Oh did I? Huh I guess I knew what was coming my way! Boat is fine we went out Friday and Sat. Impeller is fine, but I am going to pick up a spare one.