Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What ski do you use?

martho

How are you feeling today wakegirl?  Feelin' the burn? 

Keep in mind that wakeboard boots these days are incredibly secure, whereas 15 year old slalom boots are anything but.  It may be that you're used to feeling really locked in, and the play in front is just a function of technology.  Maybe you want to look at a new boot?

Haha, I was feelin' the burn on Saturday, those muscles haven't been used in a looooooong time. :) I don't think it was the boots, it was the whole thing & how different it is from boarding. The thing I kept trying to find (unconsciously) was that neutral, coasting spot that a board has, but the ski doesn't. It wants an edge. My thought is that I just need to do it more to get more comfortable.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• skisix@38

• Addictedto6

• edwin

• JohnDoe

Another CDX w/96 high raps, love it but looking at the S8. Did try to put approach boots on my2001 cdx but wouldnt fit. Any one know a solution to that problem?

Another CDX w/96 high raps, love it but looking at the S8. Did try to put approach boots on my2001 cdx but wouldnt fit. Any one know a solution to that problem?

I think HO changed the boot pattern with the 2003 model year. I called them earlier this year to find out if the Venoms would fit my 2000 Charger -- no go.

Y'all need to talk reeal niiiice to a dealer and get a hookup like I did. I bought some '02 or '03 Venom boots for my '98 Mach One. I've only put the front on. A dealer, who shall remain nameless in this public thread, also got me an old plate to fit my '98's insert locations. I was able to mount the new boot to the old plate and then mount that to the ski. You could also just put new inserts into your ski where the new plates want them to be.

Get the approach mounted onto the older style plates, or, try a new carbonworx ski or D3 X5 ski with the approach boots.

Smooth as Glass -- I think Wiley's will be able to send you the old style HO plate. Just unscrew the boot from the bottum of the new one and remount on the old style plate. The rear boot bolt pattern did not change.

• 1 month later...

Add another to HO's tally.

2002 CDX double animals

2001 Phantom double animals

from 1994-2001 I was on the HO VTI with 98s

Doug

• 3 weeks later...

HO Phantom Truth w/double Animal Superfeet. 6 at 28' off and 34 mph....the only advantage I can see of hitting my 40's is not having to ski at 36mph anymore.

68" System 8 with Double Animal Superfeet is the current setup. I think I've FINALLY got it nailed down after about a month of tinkering. Skiing better than I ever did on the CDX. This ski likes to be skied new-school. Shoulders up, angle at the hips, counter the upper body, and it'll rip one of those turns that makes your hair fly to the side. :)

I have a D3X5 on the way. I am going to put the HO Vision binding I have on it for now but I am keeping my eyes open for a deal on a Lf large animal. I am a RTP guy so that is staying the same.

Matt,

You think the S8 is better or just different than your CDX?

When my form is correct and it's tuned properly, I'd call it better than my CDX. I wouldn't call it better overall though. The CDX is much less finicky as far as fin setup goes and much easier to ski sloppy on. My best sets on my CDX always came when I was so tired, I could barely ski anymore. Such is not the case on the S8. Once I wear out and my form changes even a little bit, I may as well get off the water...

I moved to the D3 X5 this spring, with HO Approach bindings front and back. I absolutely love the ski. I have been on a lot of different stuff, and nothing compares for my skiing. I am still skiing out of the box setting and have pushed my pb into 38', up over two line lengths this year. My two previous skis were both HO Phantoms, both with Animals. They were rockets but were horrible turning skis and cannot handle chop at all. Most of my college tournament days were late fall or early spring with pretty windy conditions, you could almost guarantee that you would lose a pass + with the Phantom in those conditions because it chatters so bad and won't sit down in the water. I never could find the right fin setting on it. Before the Phantoms, I had a CDX. Before that a whole line of O'Brien skis, all of which were horribly slow. I can't wait to try the D3 Nomad that is coming out. I'm hoping it skis as well as the X5 but has that extra gear that I can't seem to find going cross course on the X5.

If you want a D3, you can order straight through the factory, that is what I did.

I tried the Monza and S8 this spring. I was very disapointed in both of them. I took the S8 off after 2 passes. I played with the Monza for a while, but I hate it. My roommate is having great success with it though, improving almost 3 line lengths this season with it. I still love the HO bindings though. My only gripe there is they straps are made like crap. Already gone through 2 cross straps on my Approaches.

Kstate,

I am glad to hear that about the D3. I am coming off a big HO (Charger) as I am just back into the course after a 10 year hiatus. I am running deep 28 off but haven't cleaned it yet and find my HO slow at the turns at shorter lines.

Unfortunately it looks like the new stick won't be here until next Monday Mad.gif

67" goode 9200lt amp 220 w connely vision plates.

love the edge.  love the speed/acceleration. 

great stick but i will not put goode on the recommended list until they add a plate fastening system.

(sheet metal screws are not a plate fastening system).

thought i would take a minute to update.

goode 9600 has addressed the fastening system.

i have not skied it yet but i love the 9200lt and don't want to turn anyone against goode now that they have addressed the issue.