Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What ski do you use?

martho

67" goode 9200lt amp 220 w connely vision plates.

love the edge. love the speed/acceleration.

great stick but i will not put goode on the recommended list until they add a plate fastening system.

(sheet metal screws are not a plate fastening system).

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• skisix@38

• Addictedto6

• edwin

• JohnDoe

Sorry to run my post count up Martho, but need to add a 67"Goode 9100 to my list. It was a great ski but the relationship was short lived as the ski delaminated after 4 weeks.

Doug you will be very pleased with the CDX.....this ski can take from 15 off right up the line to early 38...Enjoy!

Cheers

Reggie

Cypress Gardens d*** Pope Jr.

Front adj. binding, rear foot strap. Huge fin!

Edited by brazosvet
Cypress Gardens d*** Pope Jr.

Front adj. binding, rear foot strap.  Huge fin!

Hey, I didn't think Mr. Pope's first name was that obscene. Whats up with that? Mad.gif

Edited by brazosvet
68.5" Carbonworx Outlaw, approach front venom rear.  [email protected] is my best.

How do you like this ski? I know of a 67" that I could get for a good price (1 year old). I'm on a 67 CR7 right now.

Make sure it's an 04 series or later and I think it's great! Good speed and great turning all in one package. Let me know if you need help with setting it up.

It'll be interesting to see what the "new thing" is for next year after the monza has had a seaon on it. HO seems to be the jedi for hyping something but has trouble keeping the hype after their stuff has been around the block. I'm not saying that the monza is a bad ski, I'm saying it's only a ski. I have riden it and have seen many other ride it so far this year. The results were that it did nothing for me and I haven't seen it do anything stelar for any of the skiers I've been watching. I think it is a very fast ski which is good since it stalls at every turn it needs to be to allow the skier to get back into the pass.

Some one asked if the monza was a good intermediate ski- I think the answer is NO. The monza is a high end ski that is not going to forgive course(read rough) mistakes, to that end the intermediate skier is learning how to get through that very mistake to advance. An intermediate skier would be better served by something not quite as fast and temperamental and go with something that is mildly fast and very forgiving like a D3, CR7 and I'm sure HO makes something in this range but I don't know what it is perhaps a CDX.

Interesting that you mention the stalling about the Monza Skisix -- one of my ski partners just got a Monza after 2 years on a Mapple. During mid-season he'll be working on 28 off, he's shaking the rust off now at 22, after 4 or 5 times out we noticed that he's stalling on his on side which never happened on the Mapple (but that ski would hunt on him). I was going to have him adjust the fin this weekend or pull the bindings back to see if that would get rid of his stall.

It's an absolute about the speed though, he can be way late and make up time cross course without a problem.

Interesting that you mention the stalling about the Monza Skisix --  one of my ski partners just got a Monza after 2 years on a Mapple.  During mid-season he'll be working on 28 off, he's shaking the rust off now at 22, after 4 or 5 times out we noticed that he's stalling on his on side which never happened on the Mapple (but that ski would hunt on him).  I was going to have him adjust the fin this weekend or pull the bindings back to see if that would get rid of his stall.

It's an absolute about the speed though, he can be way late and make up time cross course without a problem.

Those are the right ways to start, boots back and then start looking at the fin. Good luck to your buddy.

68.5" Carbonworx Outlaw, approach front venom rear.  [email protected] is my best.

How do you like this ski? I know of a 67" that I could get for a good price (1 year old). I'm on a 67 CR7 right now.

Make sure it's an 04 series or later and I think it's great! Good speed and great turning all in one package. Let me know if you need help with setting it up.

is this ski quirky? Ever been on a CR7 that you could compare it too? I'm thinking of picking it up cuz it's a great price, and if I dont like it I think I could sell it for at least what I paid. Is the 67 big enough for a 185 lb skier? I like my CR7, but always willing to try something else (just as long as I dont see the letters HO on it. Tongue.gif )

Ski six, you're definitely a better skier than me, so I'm not disgareeing with you, but you might be able to tell the difference in skis better than most. The Monza might chatter to you deep in a set, but to me it's plenty stable, much more stable than my old Mapple, it would hop all around. I have yet to see why an intermediate could not ride a rocket in the course, even with a little chop. Do you feel teh way you do b/c of the shape or the construction skisix? If it's the construction that makes it too advanced, then a system 8 would be the same ski, just a softer core.

ski six: I've never REALLY understood fin adjustments. I can get by, but I think an expert liek you could really help me. Can you answer a few questions?

first, my monza is really wnating to rear up at the end of a turn (on-side), how should I fix? Second, on my off-side, it is over-finishing the turn and I can't maintain the angle I'm getting. fix? I've got a sheet that I've been using, and the ski feels way better after soem of the adjustments I've made (boots forward, fin forward, more tip), but as for really tweaking from here, I'd liek to hear it from someone who really knows what they're doing.

skiskix - I'll agree HO is great at "hyping" a ski, but I think its for good reason. I.E. - CDX, the greatest selling slalom ski of all time. They kept it around for 4 years with little to no adjustments, and even now, 1 company has paid HO to break out the old mold and make this ski again. I think they feel they have made a great ski with the Monza, and with all this hype your talking about, people are expecting results right out of the box.

I think one of my pet peeves is people expecting to ski PB's right out of the box with this ski. I saw a person that was selling his Monza after 4 sets because he only came within 2 buoys of his PB. Apparently all the hype HO put out, this guy was expecting the ski to do all the work for him right away.

I don't know how long you skied on the Monza, but I'd think people need to give this ski at least a 1/2 a season to see what its made of before we judge it. Clearly you have the talent to ski any ski on the market, and from your buoy count, you definitley know what your talking about. I just think we need to give this ski a chance before we dismiss the hype. Then again, maybe this hype is what is coming back to bite HO in the butt. People are expecting PB's right away.

Now if only HO could sign a big name skier to make the podium/WR. Dr. Jim? We'll find out soon enough. Hope this isn't too big of a high jack

Really.

Currently on the original Phantom. I changed to it from a CDX, which is a great ski for any level skier. The Phantom is just like the CDX, only much faster. To me it feels the same as far as stability ect. The thing about HO skis is the impressive stability and forgiveness at novice levels, yet you can turn it up and really go when you are ready.

MR: Try the 67 and I came from the CR7- the yellow topped one and hade several really great seasons on it- Ran my 1st 38 on that ski. The Outlaw turns every bit as nice and is much better about holding angle and is much quicker to the other side, the other nice thing about the outlaw is that you can turn it going super fast or going normal speed.

Wakebrd: I'll get to that later.... on fin adjusting.

HO skier: I think you're part of the hype, I don't say that to make you mad or say it begrudgingly. I can ski any ski through 35 and get 1/2 through 38 and have except for a goode(I think they're dangerous because of the construction). I had a terrible time getting any kind of performance out of the Monza. Over time I could find what settings would work for me and I could get that ski to work. 1/2 a season? When would any high level tournament skier give up 1/2 season to get a new ski to work, get real. I dont' live in a warm climate and I have a very short season compared to the folks I compete against anyway. My Outlaw works very well for me, giving any ski more than a couple sets to work in that situation is not critical thinking. The CDX is a good ski and they did hype it, I got to ski at the Nationals the fall it was released with Chet at his lake. Then they hyped the "truth" and that ski was a flop, you had to ski perfect or it dumped you.

More later....

It's later now- can you believe I had to work at work?

There are plenty of elite skiers riding the monza and I think even Jim Micheals. Chris Rossi, Drew Ross, Wade are all on the monza and they are all skiing well, none are setting records(yet, they all have the potential). My point here is that it is a good ski and will score high, it is NOT all the hype that is out there. Go to skifly or the nicholls pages and you will see that some folks bought them and are now selling them. I don't think that everyone should ride a Carbonworx or 6AM or X5, just like the monza isn't going to work for everyone.

wakebrd: I dont' think it's a good ski for intermediate skiers because it was designed to go really hard and really fast and to perform under those conditions, the trade off is that it won't allow large mistakes. An intermediate skiers isn't going to induce those conditions so why have a ski that isn't going to tolerate the conditions that it skis in? I wouldn't recommend a goode either, the D3's and CR7's and Carbonoworx are all fairly forgiving skis and will work under a wider range of conditions. It's up to the skier on how hard you want to try and how hard you want to get dumped at the ball.

"first, my monza is really wnating to rear up at the end of a turn (on-side), how should I fix? Second, on my off-side, it is over-finishing the turn and I can't maintain the angle I'm getting. fix? I've got a sheet that I've been using, and the ski feels way better after soem of the adjustments I've made (boots forward, fin forward, more tip), but as for really tweaking from here, I'd liek to hear it from someone who really knows what they're doing."

On side is probably that you stay down against the boat longer then you need and then you edge change and reach all in the same movement - don't do that, give your ski a chance to change edge before you reach and tell it to turn. If that's not it, then move your back foot forward.

Off-side, either move your front foot back or take a little length out of the fin- a little means increments of .005".

Edited by skisix@38

First off, I hope I didn't come across too harsh, that was not my intention. Perhaps I am part of the hype, but I don't have the desire to go out and test the Monza or System 8. I'm on the CDX, and as they say, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it.' The CDX works, so thats what I use. When shopping, I did look at other skis.

I see your point about a 1/2 season for a tournament skier, as I too live in a 'cold' climate, and a 1/2 season is 2 months. But I think ANY ski deserves more than a couple sets.

I will have to agree with you about the Truth, and hopefully HO learned a lesson. I think hype comes with any slalom ski. When Mapple released his SIXAM, everyone wanted to be on this ski. I think the same goes for the Goode 9600 (but to a lesser degree). I don't really think it's the companies in our industries in general that put out the hype, as it is really more the everyday slalom skiers buying the marketing and creating the hype themselves (see Internet discussion boards, and your comment "HO skier: I think you're part of the hype" - you probably think that because of my name. I never tell a person to only buy HO by the way.)

I don't recall HO doing anything special to create a hype. They run a 1 maybe 2 page ad in WaterSki Magazine. They have a nice (but annoying) website, and an above average (but not great) set of team skiers. It's the people who hype this up.

It's HO first and then they have a very loyal and enthusiastic group of followers. HO started by just saying a little bit about "the new ski" before nationals and then at the nationals they had some demo skis, but not enough for all their followers. While at the nationals they raved about this new ski and how they newly construct it to make it this and that. What a great way to hype, they do a very good job of it. They will tell you stories about the guy who's PB was 4@32 got on the new ski and ran clear through 3 @ 38 and "his style is just like yours".... I don't blame them, they get paid for that. Those skiers go home and start asking around on the internet and asking their dealers "where do I get this magical ski". Combine that with allthe hype about Mr. Micheals and his skiing 26 sets everyday on the new ski and running 59.5off(ok, I'll stop but that was fun) and add to that winter is quickly coming. Now, there are a whole bunch of folks with nothing more to do in the next 3 months than to talk about skiing and "The new ski".

Like I said, they are good at it and it is a good ski, only retrospect will tell us how good.

You didn't come across "harsh".

I guess it is obvious, we all like HOs.

For the wifes which are reading, that is not to be confused with Whore AKA Ho, Hoe, skank, slut etc etc ROFL.gif

Does HO really have this much of the market share?

Chalk up another vote for the CDX with Dbl Animals. Forgiving and fun! I'm trying to find a D3 dealer in WI so I can demo an X5 and a System 8 on the course in the same day. D3 hasn't been much help finding a dealer. Anyone around here know of a WI dealer that sells them? Can I get them through any KD dealer?

I really dig my CDX, but I'd like a ski that gets me off the tail a little bit. I don't know anyone on a CDX who doesn't look like they're riding a little tip-high. That's why I want to try the X5 for sure.

Matt,

I like the D3 it is very forgiving and has a large sweet spot. You definately want to ski it center balanced and not like the CDX, which is one ski I didn't do very well on. It was always putting me in the back seat and I didn't adjust to it very well. The Monza doesn't treat me like that but it is really finicky for adjustments.

I do not claim to be a slalom gal, but I skied for the first time on Friday in probably close to 10 years (I honestly can't remember the last time I skied). Anyway, my ski is at least 15 years old, it's a Kidder Prestige. When I got up (first time, no problem Clap.gif ) it felt WRONG. My lead foot was all over the place, & I felt like I had no control over the edges. Is it the ski or just the fact that I've been so long off of it? I used to be a decent skier, it came fairly natural but then I discovered the board & haven't been on the stick since. Now it doesn't feel right at all. I'm not sure about the ski because I haven't actually used it all that much.

How are you feeling today wakegirl? Feelin' the burn?

Keep in mind that wakeboard boots these days are incredibly secure, whereas 15 year old slalom boots are anything but. It may be that you're used to feeling really locked in, and the play in front is just a function of technology. Maybe you want to look at a new boot?

Chalk up another vote for the CDX with Dbl Animals.  Forgiving and fun!  I'm trying to find a D3 dealer in WI so I can demo an X5 and a System 8 on the course in the same day.  D3 hasn't been much help finding a dealer.  Anyone around here know of a WI dealer that sells them?  Can I get them through any KD dealer?

I really dig my CDX, but I'd like a ski that gets me off the tail a little bit.  I don't know anyone on a CDX who doesn't look like they're riding a little tip-high.  That's why I want to try the X5 for sure.

If you want to try the D3, it would be worth your while to try a Carbonworx,

www.carbonworx.com. Contact Boyd and give him your info and try one, if you don't like it send it back.