Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How do you store you boat? Inside, outside, covered

dirtyinjun

I just picked up my first boat! Rockon.gif and got it home safely and it is at the service center getting winterized. I now have to find a place to store it as it wont fit in the garage. Stupid.gif I ve looked around and it will be about $200.00 a month to keep it in a storage unit or warehouse. For about $45 a month I can keep it outside and for $110-$135 covered outside. I want to baby the new boat and keep it inside but is it worth the extra cash?

I know that you can get your boat shrink wrapped and store it outside but I dont know how well that will hold up to a wet Reno, NV winter. Dontknow.gif

How do you store your boat? And what are the pros or cons of shrinkwrapping it and storing it outside/ covered?

Any input would be appreciated!!!

Shrink wrapping your boat works excellent. The dealership here wraps every boat they winterize, and leave them outside. The shrink wrap will hold up during the wet and/or cold winters.

Mine is stored inside unheated for $45/month. I just use the mooring cover to keep it clean from dust, etc. If I stored it outside, shrinkwrapping is the only thing I would consider. If it will stand up to the snow and ice we see up here, I'm sure it will be fine for rain.

Best way to go.....store it inside if you can spare the $$. If not, shrink wrap is a must for storing outside.

You might check Craigslist.com to see if someone has a garage or storage barn they are renting. $200 / month is too high.

Shrink wrap & professionally (or super competently) winterized if it's outside.

I have a 10' x 25' unit with power (and no heat) for $115/mo. We have quite a few other things in there too, patio furniture, lawn stuff, etc.

Shrink wrap & professionally (or super competently) winterized if it's outside.

I have a 10' x 25' unit with power (and no heat) for $115/mo. We have quite a few other things in there too, patio furniture, lawn stuff, etc.

I called some local fairgrounds and got a price, $7/foot, indoors. Same price as the dealer wanted for shrink wrap. It is locked inside the fairgrounds, locked in a barn. They had no problem with me putting my hitch lock on it and leaving it. I did the same last year as well.

Welcome and congrats on your new boat, I would do the same thing and call around. You should be able to find a place to store it inside for a fair price in your area, I wouldn't feel so good about storing it outside even with shrink wrap. Here where I live it costs a lot for storage and I am waiting in line to get indoor storage at a fairly local marina. Now we store ours in the garage but it just about takes up the whole thing.

Good Luck

I've got a portable garage shelter (roof and 4 walls). I keep it in the shelter covered with the mooring cover and have had great success. I do put some damp-rid in it just to be safe.

The shelter was ~$600, and I pay $35 a month for the storage at the local marina where the shelter is erected...That includes the use of the boat ramp...

I've got a portable garage shelter (roof and 4 walls). I keep it in the shelter covered with the mooring cover and have had great success. I do put some damp-rid in it just to be safe.

The shelter was ~$600, and I pay $35 a month for the storage at the local marina where the shelter is erected...That includes the use of the boat ramp...

What is damp-rid? If I get it shrink wrapped do they give you that if not where do you buy it?

I pay $350 per year, which includes inside storage in the winter- cement floor pole barn, non heated, just use cover to keep dust out.

That 350 also covers keeping my trailer inside all summer.

I've done the outside shrinkwrap with a previous boat and will never do it again. We get too much snow and ice, and had some failures( leaks, rips, etc-) the boat was a wreck and took forever to get it cleaned up and ready for summer. Pay the extra and put it indoors. The dealers keep them outside because of space issues and because most have professional detailing equipment on hand to cover the bad things that happen in the winter...

One michigan persons opininon...... Dontknow.gif

I just picked up my first boat! Rockon.gif and got it home safely and it is at the service center getting winterized. I now have to find a place to store it as it wont fit in the garage. Stupid.gif I ve looked around and it will be about $200.00 a month to keep it in a storage unit or warehouse. For about $45 a month I can keep it outside and for $110-$135 covered outside. I want to baby the new boat and keep it inside but is it worth the extra cash?

I know that you can get your boat shrink wrapped and store it outside but I dont know how well that will hold up to a wet Reno, NV winter. Dontknow.gif

How do you store your boat? And what are the pros or cons of shrinkwrapping it and storing it outside/ covered?

Any input would be appreciated!!!

Even though $200 a month may seem high, I would strongly suggest putting it indoors, especially in your climate. If you can spare the extra money Dontknow.gif I have always kept mine indoors, but I live in AZ where there really is no winter weather Yahoo.gif I am also lucky b/c my parents have a friend that lets me keep it in his shed (safe, dry and clean) w/ his motorhome for $360/year Biggrin.gif

Outside under cover/shrink can work.. Or just knock out a wall and start an addition!

Ahhh... no more winterizing.....

Easier said then done, but looks like your going for it. Should be nice when it's all complete Thumbup.gif

Welcome and congrats on your new boat, I would do the same thing and call around. You should be able to find a place to store it inside for a fair price in your area, I wouldn't feel so good about storing it outside even with shrink wrap. Here where I live it costs a lot for storage and I am waiting in line to get indoor storage at a fairly local marina. Now we store ours in the garage but it just about takes up the whole thing.

Good Luck

I'm with you. Probably on the same waiting list... if it starts with an "or" and ends in "wood" Whistling.gif . I don't think they'll ever free up though.

--Robert

Good Luck

I'm with you. Probably on the same waiting list... if it starts with an "or" and ends in "wood" Whistling.gif . I don't think they'll ever free up though.

--Robert

I was actually waiting at B & W by Rio Vista.

Good Luck

--Robert

I was actually waiting at B & W by Rio Vista.

Ahh, I'll have to check them out as well. I currently have my boat in the dry-stack at disco bay, can't fit it in my garage and want to get it back indoors.

--Robert

If you really want to keep it inside try looking at a few facilities in the Sacramento Area. My Dad does this every winter with his boat and he lives down in Gardnerville. He finds a place for about $150 and figures that with the money he saves on storage and a total winterization, it covers the cost of gas for the trip and he can go get it anythime and its ready to use. I used to keep mine in Sac for 2 years and I never had to do a winterization. Good luck & Congrats.

Damp rid is a powder based dehumidifier. I think it is the same stuff that comes with DVD players and other electronics, that says "Do Not Eat". Works great.

I bought a 10X10X20 canopy with 4 sides from Costco for about $160.00. Rockon.gif

It works great! I setup 2 lights inside and power for a Battery Tender.

Through the winter I toss the cover on to keep the dust off. Come spring, she's ready to go! Yahoo.gif

I keep my Bu in an enclosed storage facility a few miles from my house. However I do put the cover on it and as well put a dehumidifier under the cover that discharges its water thru via a tube connected thru the central hull drain. I have the dehumidifier set up on a timer so it runs about 8 hours a day. As well removing the moisture under the cover, it adds heat and thus helps with the winterization process! Thumbup.gif