Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Its about to get ugly

2007vtx

What would you do if your brand new Malibu w/ 60 hrs burns a quart of oil every 9 hrs? The dealer says malibu wants me to take a service guy out and get a wide open throttle rpm w/ all ballast full. So I do this and we hit WOT RPM as it is supposed to. A week later My dealer says, "Malibu says it will burn oil if you overload it." Obviously it is not overloaded when it hits malibu's numbers. I try to call Malibu and they are dodging my calls, w/ excuses like he is on the phone, he is away from his desk, and forget about voicemail it is full. How do you have a full voicemail. Even my dealers mechanic says it shouldn't burn oil like that. I guess I got the 2 stroke version of the 320 lcr. What should I do? I don't want to start bashing Malibu just yet but 50,000 grand is alot of money and everything should be right.

The first 75 hours my Hammerhead did the same thing. 1qt every 10 hours or so. Then the last 20 hours we used it this year we were only down about 1/2qt.

I was told by the dealer it's pretty normal for the first 100 hours then it should slow down. According to the service guy it would never not burn any oil but would get better with time.

The first 75 hours my Hammerhead did the same thing. 1qt every 10 hours or so. Then the last 20 hours we used it this year we were only down about 1/2qt.

I was told by the dealer it's pretty normal for the first 100 hours then it should slow down. According to the service guy it would never not burn any oil but would get better with time.

Burning a quart of oil every 10 hrs is not normal no matter who tells you it is. Sounds like you both have issues your dealers dont want to take care of.

The 320 LCR is basically the same as the Monsoon, and burning a quart every 9 hours (20% or so of the capacity every couple days???) is NOT normal no matter what anyone tells you. I bought mine with about 25 hours on it (Monsoon) and it has not burned any oil. Not during the first 100 hours, and not since then.

Spare Oil should not be a required item to have on the boat.

Have you contacted Indmar about this? They are the ones providing the warranty on the engine.

Be persistent. Let your dealer, Malibu and Indmar know that you are not satisfied with the engine, but remember to be professional in all your communications.

I would start documenting all your attempts to resolve your issue, document your dealer's, Malibu's and Indmar responses and start writing emails and letters so your correspondence is time and date marked.

Somebody will step up and resolve the issue.

I had good success contacting Indmar direct after not getting the answer I wanted from my local dealer. Indmar seemed very concerned with getting it right.

I had good success contacting Indmar direct after not getting the answer I wanted from my local dealer. Indmar seemed very concerned with getting it right.

I guess Indmar is the next step, its ridiculous I have to take time to contact Indmar and Malibu myself to get this resolved. My dealer has done wonderful job w/ all my other small issues, so it makes me wonder who is dragging their feet here.

bummer.

It shouldn't be doing that. Malibu should be stepping up.

Call Indmar yourself.

Keep track of all the oil you are purchasing, receipts. Don't let that keep you off the water (weather is probably doing that anyway now). Enjoy your Malibu, just keep extra oil with you until this is resolved.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Shouldn't your dealer be doing all the phone work? When you have a warranty issue with a car you normally go to the dealer not the factory.

I think the dealer should be working a bit harder for you, or am I crazy Dontknow.gif

Just for added info,My 04 monsoon burns no noticeable amount of oil between oil changes.

I have a 2003 LS1 and put on 50 hours a season and never have to add oil during the season. Even thought we have different engines, you shouldn't be going through oil like that. Do you see any smoke?

I have an 06 with the 320 and never added ANY oil after two summers. I could see a very small amount of oil burn on a new motor, but very small.

Good luck. Make note of all your calls and efforts and I'd push the dealer as much as possible. They should be the one running around getting answers for you and why you paid a profit to the dealer for the boat.

Shouldn't your dealer be doing all the phone work? When you have a warranty issue with a car you normally go to the dealer not the factory.

I think the dealer should be working a bit harder for you, or am I crazy Dontknow.gif

Just for added info,My 04 monsoon burns no noticeable amount of oil between oil changes.

Plus1.gif Having worked for a dealership for 10 years I know that this really should be the responsibility of the dealer to handle this issue for you. Not the entire issue, but the issue w/ the factory at least. Other wise there would be no need for dealers Dontknow.gif

What would you do if your brand new Malibu w/ 60 hrs burns a quart of oil every 9 hrs? The dealer says malibu wants me to take a service guy out and get a wide open throttle rpm w/ all ballast full. So I do this and we hit WOT RPM as it is supposed to. A week later My dealer says, "Malibu says it will burn oil if you overload it." Obviously it is not overloaded when it hits malibu's numbers. I try to call Malibu and they are dodging my calls, w/ excuses like he is on the phone, he is away from his desk, and forget about voicemail it is full. How do you have a full voicemail. Even my dealers mechanic says it shouldn't burn oil like that. I guess I got the 2 stroke version of the 320 lcr. What should I do? I don't want to start bashing Malibu just yet but 50,000 grand is alot of money and everything should be right.

On a lighter note, you payed A LOT for your boat Whistling.gif

On a lighter note, you payed A LOT for your boat Whistling.gif

oops fifty thousand grand is a lot, that is like 50 million Dontknow.gif It was actually closer to forty thousand grand lol

I have a 2003 LS1 and put on 50 hours a season and never have to add oil during the season. Even thought we have different engines, you shouldn't be going through oil like that. Do you see any smoke?

That is what is weird, I don't see any blue, black, or white smoke. Dealer says the compression test came out fine also.

I agree that these engines should not be burning this quantity of oil, but both Malibu and my dealer feel that it is not a problem until you have at least 100 hours on the boat. My 2006 Hammerhead is still burning nearly 1 quart every 10 hours or so. I am just shy of the 100 hour mark and if it is still burning this much oil afterwards, then I will get into it with the dealer. My experience is they just don't want to talk about oil consumption until after that magical 100 hour mark. My dealer has even spoken with Inmar and they are inline with the Malibu approach.

Best of luck to you.

I've heard from several people that the Hammerhead burns oil. Watching the oil pressure gauge seems to be a required ritual. Every time I've heard someone comment on that I've thought it was strange on a couple of fronts. First up is the environmental concern. There's only two places for that oil to go: into the air with the exhaust or into the water with the water cooling. Either way some of it ends up in the water, and that can't be good. Second, when you design an engine, it should be completely leak free, whether it's water, oil, gas, or air, at least when it's new. Burning a couple of drops of oil or having rich exhaust is fine as the seals wear in, but after that it should be solid. I'm not sure what the differences are between the Hammerhead and the Monsoon engineering-wise, but I don't see how the Hammerhead should lose oil, especially in the quantities I'm hearing about. Someone would have to explain that in non-layman's terms so I'd understand it.

Plus1.gif Having worked for a dealership for 10 years I know that this really should be the responsibility of the dealer to handle this issue for you. Not the entire issue, but the issue w/ the factory at least. Other wise there would be no need for dealers Dontknow.gif

Add my vote. Your dealer should be handling this for you, period.

And for the record, I've never had either of my Hammerheads burn a single drop.

That is what is weird, I don't see any blue, black, or white smoke. Dealer says the compression test came out fine also.

Typically you'll see smoke when starting if your valve seals are bad. It sounds like you may have an oil ring problem and I would think your dealer should have no problem taking care of this. If they can't identify it to a single cylinder then it doesn't have anything to do with him anymore but it should not take any of his time but a phone call to Indmar.

Does your dealer do the service or is it a different store?

I have to deal with the service dept. that has nothing to do with the dealer I bought the boat from. Seems like once the dealer sells you the boat your not so important anymore Whistling.gif that's how my sales guy made me feel a few times.

Keep us posted, you shouldn't have this kind of oil usage problem.

If you have not changed your oil yet this year, save a 6 oz. sample or two. You can have an analysis done on it for about $25.00. That would include mailing it too. That can tell you so much about an engine.

07 LCR not using any oil between changes.

What in new engine needs any time to stop it from using oil? I have never needed a brake in to stop oil consumption. You can tell more from a blow by test rather than compression test. It will tell you what is leaking most of the time. Rings,Valves, seals.

Don't let your dealer B.S. you... Frustrated.gifFrustrated.gifGuns.gif