Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Titan II Problem

vlxjeff

So my brother is heading back to the launch ramp last weekend and his Titan II tower falls apart. The spindle (where the rope attaches) unscrews from the tower and crashes into the boat and hits my niece in the head. Caused a pretty good goose egg.

On inspection, it looks like the only thing holding tower together, after this happened, was the single lynch pin. The hand screw had also fallen out. The plastic part around the spindle was lost overboard. The hand screw has been a problem for a long time with this tower and repeatedly needed to be tightened.

Pictures of the remaining pieces are posted below.

Has anyone seen this kind of thing before?

titan1.jpg

titan2.jpg

titan3.jpg

titan4.jpg

My brother has been in contact with Titan and they have not been helpful at all.

Any suggestions or descriptions of like problems and fix actions would be helpful.

Thanks

Jeff

odd, I'd adjust the rear hoop to one side to the two hoops don't align quite right, then you'd have to flex them together, this should keep pressure on the hand knob, and keep it from loosening up and falling out

In May I was out in NC with a buddy of mine in his VLX with the Titan II, and as we were heading to the ramp to load the boat up I happened to witness the hand screw fall out on his tower. Fortunately it landed in the boat and not the lake. He's never had any issues with the tow spool that I'm aware of.

With my Titan I, I've not had any problems at all with either piece. I definately prefer the bolt option over the hand screw.

JV

My TII came with the allen wrench that you have to break out to tighten/loosen up, which eventually had the rubber seal between get mixed with the threads and it was never to come apart again. My dealer removed this and gave me the hand screw - it now has deteriorated enough that I need pliers to close the two piece tower together just to handscrew it. Additionally my spindle comes loose after a day on the water and everything needs to be tightened when I get back.

Based on mine, I am not surprised yours came apart, I am constantly checking/waiting for mine to.

Additionally my spindle comes loose after a day on the water and everything needs to be tightened when I get back.

Based on mine, I am not surprised yours came apart, I am constantly checking/waiting for mine to.

I was wondering how often this happens. Titan's only comment on this was that my brother should check it more often.

I wasn't too impressed by this.

Additionally my spindle comes loose after a day on the water and everything needs to be tightened when I get back.

I was wondering how often this happens. Titan's only comment on this was that my brother should check it more often.

I wasn't too impressed by this.

I really hate how mine has progressed too. I need to wrench it down to attach now. I seriously cannot screw the handscrew in otherwise, it just spins missing the threads. Just slowly getting worse...

I towed with my tower up, and handscrew in - cover on over the boat, a few months back. Hand screw had consistently fallen out time and again. But when it fell out the cover was never on, we always found it in the boat.

When I called Titan a nice girl said, "Oh, no problem. What's your address? We'll overnight a new one to you." I had a new one in a few days. And this one I think is brass, becuase it holds and hasn't ever fallen out.

I've never had a problem with the spool. I thought it was all welded together actually. I'll check it, but have never had a problem with it - 100hours later, knock on wood.

I e-mailed Titan asking what the deal was and what have they done to prevent this from happening.

Think they will answer truthfully?

I towed with my tower up, and handscrew in - cover on over the boat,  a few months back.  Hand screw had consistently fallen out time and again.  But when it fell out the cover was never on, we always found it in the boat. 

When I called Titan a nice girl said, "Oh, no problem.  What's your address?  We'll overnight a new one to you."  I had a new one in a few days.  And this one I think is brass, becuase it holds and hasn't ever fallen out.

I've never had a problem with the spool.  I thought it was all welded together actually.  I'll check it, but have never had a problem with it - 100hours later, knock on wood.

Good to hear, I may call and ask if they have a longer one. I believe mine is brass as well, I used the allen wrench for a couple seasons (1 1/2 rather, hated it too) but mine just appears to be 1/2 inch too short. Even when I use pliers to squeeze the two together to allow the handscrew, it only twist twice or so - just a couple threads, not good.

The lockpin, the lower bolt spins with the spindle, this was the first sign mine was coming loose as I realized I was pinning it in a different angle/direction - that was my clue, I was like "wait a minute". So now I check it everytime we go out, before and after and tighten up as necessary.

Jeff,

A quick fix to this is remove the Titan from the boat completely and then install a skylon swoop...... Tongue.gif

sorry...I am no help at all!

Ken

Yeah, my Bro is kind of wishing he had gone this way now. If Titan doesn't step up, he might end up going that way still.

I e-mailed Titan asking what the deal was and what have they done to prevent this from happening.

Think they will answer truthfully?

I hope so. They didn't really do anything but defend their product when my brother was talking to them.

Jeff,

It's a common enough problem that Titan completely changed the way that the 2 sections are joined on the final revision of the T3. I've got a buddy with a T1 that has had the same problem since day 1 - fortunately he didn't have his come down on him, he just caught it when it was very loose & has consistently kept an eye on it ever since.

The Swoops have their own problems, I wouldn't be too quick to jump on that particular bandwagon.

Jeff,

It's a common enough problem that Titan completely changed the way that the 2 sections are joined on the final revision of the T3.  I've got a buddy with a T1 that has had the same problem since day 1 - fortunately he didn't have his come down on him, he just caught it when it was very loose & has consistently kept an eye on it ever since.

The Swoops have their own problems, I wouldn't be too quick to jump on that particular bandwagon.

Yeah I know. I don't think my Bro is ready for that just yet. In fact he's got his boat at the dealer for a complete check-up and the Tower should be taken care of while there. It's just that he hasn't gotten any love from Titan and we're just looking to see how common this problem is and what others have done to correct the problem.

From the photo showing the bolt hole, it looks like it had been loose for a while, the hole looks to be wobbled out.

I've had no problems with my Titan I, I have the allen bolt to tighten the parts together. Mine has a rubber piece between the two sections, does the II have this piece.

Use some locktight to thighten the spool on, I would go to the allen bolt to connect the tow parts together.

I reveived a "canned" e-mail from Titan:

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your interest in Titan products. As a convenience feature, the towers have a hand knob that you unscrew to collapse the tower. Since it is only hand tightened, they can sometimes work loose. However, there is also a redundant safety pin that secures the tower in the event that the knob does come loose. Some people simply replace the knob with an Allen screw that can be tightened much tighter with a wrench. Both towers are awesome towers, and we have several thousand tower owners who love them. I’m sure you will too.

I hope this answers your questions. Have a great day.

Scott Sax

Titan Wake Accessories

p 916-858-1178

I have a Series II with the allen bolt and I always crank it down tight. I have never had any problem with it coming loose.

See if Titan will send you an allen bolt to put up there and just forget about it.

Daniel

Was thinking of replacing my allen bolt with a knob...guess not now :-)

No issues with the allen bolt and I have towed a few thousand miles with it...

Thanks Sunsetter95 for posting the response.

I'm not sure what my brother is planning right now. I figure he will just end up getting everything put back together and go on with wakeboarding. And he's already used to checking the hand screw every chance he gets. It's the tow spool falling off and hitting people in the boat that has him the most concerned.

Thanks again.

As to not hijack this thread I started a new one with a fix for this roblem. It may not be the prettiest thing you've ever seen, but it worked for me for 4 years on the old boat!

Patrick

Oddly enough, after reading this thread last week, when I went out on Friday I went to adjust the rope length and happened to notice that the tow spool was loose. It didn't take me long to break out the socket set and tighten it down. When I got home, I took the tow spool off and placed some lock tite on the threads of the tow spool bolt.