Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How much to pay?

I have always waxed my boat myself. There's a guy in my church who is unemployed right now and needs some help. He is willing and more than capable to do it as I expect it to be done. What have you guys paid to have this done? I want to be more than fair with the guy, just looking for some guidelines. The boat is pristine clean now and ready for layup.....just thought I'd give the guy a little help before that sad, sad day when I put it to bed.

I have always waxed my boat myself. There's a guy in my church who is unemployed right now and needs some help. He is willing and more than capable to do it as I expect it to be done. What have you guys paid to have this done? I want to be more than fair with the guy, just looking for some guidelines. The boat is pristine clean now and ready for layup.....just thought I'd give the guy a little help before that sad, sad day when I put it to bed.

Depends on what you think is "fair" Dontknow.gif I have always done mine myself as it gives me some sort of self satisfaction in knowing that it has been done right and that I did it Yahoo.gif However, if I were going to pay someone in need I would take the time that it honestly takes me to do and multiply that by how much I make an hour (this is how I figure what my valuable time is worth). Example, if you make $20/hr at work and the boat honestly takes 4 hours to do, then pay the guy $80 (plus $20 tip, just makes it easier to deal in 100's) :)

Depends on what you think is "fair" Dontknow.gif I have always done mine myself as it gives me some sort of self satisfaction in knowing that it has been done right and that I did it Yahoo.gif However, if I were going to pay someone in need I would take the time that it honestly takes me to do and multiply that by how much I make an hour (this is how I figure what my valuable time is worth). Example, if you make $20/hr at work and the boat honestly takes 4 hours to do, then pay the guy $80 (plus $20 tip, just makes it easier to deal in 100's) :)

As high as 10 bucks a foot

A complete detail of a boat. Then $10 a foot for inside and out including trailer is a fair price and I am assuming that this person will be using your supplies. If it is just an outside waxing then $5 a foot is fair. Though, I would guess that any amount of money would be great for this person in need. That's nice of you to help. Thumbup.gifThumbup.gif

Edited by malibuwaterdog

It is around $7/foot near me.

If it is wash and wax by hand no machines, I would do 150.00 and and extra 50.00 for the trailer. 200.00 total and I am sure he will hit the inside for free being greatful and all. We get 350.00 to 600.00 depending on everything done. There is no overhead for him so I think it is fair. Might be a bit high for what you were thinking but treat him good now and I am sure repayment someday will come back to you. Thumbup.gif

Edited by Pat McCrotch

Marine Detail here in the Seattle area charges $15 per foot. They use a three step process to get rid of the oxidation, then a polish and finally a wax. The price includes a wash etc. Since we have an mostly black boat it's well worth the money.