Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tow with a Navigator?

Greg_S

We are looking to trade in my wife's car because the kid's are getting bigger and we need more room for her to get the kids' friends, bikes, surfboards and other larger things in her vehicle. I would like to be able to tow with it from time to time, it may also end up being mine in the future and I want to make sure its' not stressful to tow with. I used to tow my 25' Cobalt with an F150 with the 4.6 and it was a stressful drive out to the river. Barely made it up the hill to San V one time.

I know it won't even compare to my PSD, but I would like to get some feedback. If you have a new F150 or Expedition I think they all have the same motor and tow rating.

Thanks, Greg

Greg:

I've been towing with my 2000 Lincoln Navigator for about 5 years. I have a Sunsetter LX with a tandem trailer. It tows like a dream to be honest. You can't even tell the boat is back there. I can also push the boat in reverse up my very steep driveway into my garage. The air-ride suspension automatically load levels the trailer so there's no sagging or anything like that. I've never run across a hill that I could not maintain 65 or 70 miles per hour up the hill. You will have to take it out of overdrive when going up hill though.

However, the truck is not without it's issues:

1. The air-ride pump is real noisy and I blew a rubber hose once just as I was leaving the delta and had to drive it an hour and 30 minutes home. You don't want to drive that truck without the air-ride.... ouch. It's a good thing my buddy was there and towed my boat home for me.

2. The quality of the truck is so so to be honest. I have not had any major problems, but little stuff like the seat heater going out twice now. Rattling, fit and finish. It's just typical American car complaints. If I were to get a full size truck would buy a Chevy or GMC next time. If you can go a bit lower, a Toyota Tundra double cab with a V8 is very nice too.

John

We are looking to trade in my wife's car because the kid's are getting bigger and we need more room for her to get the kids' friends, bikes, surfboards and other larger things in her vehicle. I would like to be able to tow with it from time to time, it may also end up being mine in the future and I want to make sure its' not stressful to tow with. I used to tow my 25' Cobalt with an F150 with the 4.6 and it was a stressful drive out to the river. Barely made it up the hill to San V one time.

I know it won't even compare to my PSD, but I would like to get some feedback. If you have a new F150 or Expedition I think they all have the same motor and tow rating.

Thanks, Greg

I've been towing with my 2000 Lincoln Navigator for about 5 years

There's a HUGE difference between the 00 model year and the 05. To begin with, the 05 has a new 3 valve engine that runs more effeciently and a brand new Jag inspired transmission that shifts extremely smooth. I rented one last year to take the family to Havasu with the boat and it towed it like a champ. If you decide to go with a Navigator, PM me... I might be able to give you a little hook up.

I have an 04 F150 with the 5.4L. It seems to do very well pulling my old 04 LSV 23 and my new 05 VLX. I also cary around about 500 pounds of lead in the boat at any given time. I used to tow with a GMC Envoy so the Full size is quite an improvement. I drive in Missouri and we have lots of hills. The local Malibu/Regal dealer has a F350 Dually and as a back up he has an 04 Naviator that he uses to pull around various Malibus and Regals.

I've been towing with my 2000 Lincoln Navigator for about 5 years

There's a HUGE difference between the 00 model year and the 05. To begin with, the 05 has a new 3 valve engine that runs more efficiently and a brand new Jag inspired transmission that shifts extremely smooth. I rented one last year to take the family to Havasu with the boat and it towed it like a champ. If you decide to go with a Navigator, PM me... I might be able to give you a little hook up.

Thanks for the offer, fortunately I am part of the Ford Partners and I get Lincoln's for 0.6% above invoice and all applicable rebates.

We are oscillating between the Escalade and the Navi. The Navi has better interior options, but the Cadi has a more powerful motor. It sounds like the Navigator has plenty of power. Now the hard part - picking the color!

Appreciate it! Greg

Edited by Greg_S

I've got a '00 Eddie Bauer Expedition. Tow package, but it didn't come with the air suspension - we're VERY sad about that now. Make sure you're has it, probably standard on the Nav. I'd guess.

The '05 VLX will probably weigh in similarly to my '04 LSV. It tows well around town. But on serious hills it lags. Not that it can't make it, it's just slow. Serious hills are the only times I wish I had something bigger. Other than that it's a good pull.

We've got 4 kids and all the stuff you mention. If we were looking right now, I'd seriously consider the Nissan and Toyota offerings. 80K miles on the Ford and it's been good to us. No real issues - other than our seat heater going out twice as well! It's just a little less of an engine than I'd like pulling 5Klbs.

What I really want is a Suburban with a diesel, Alyson trany. Excursion is probably just a little too big.

chathamsolutions

I agree with the Suburban with a diesel, Alyson trany set up, that would be perfect (for me, too big for the wife). From the people I've spoken with at the auto shows, it's not going to happen. The Duramax is too big and heavy for the engine compartment and suspension.

Greg

Thanks for the offer, fortunately I am part of the Ford Partners and I get Lincoln's for 0.6% above invoice and all applicable rebates.

You should be able to do better than that. My wife & I shopped Expeditions and Tahoes/Suburbans a few weeks ago. We were looking at prices $1,000 to $1,500 BELOW invoice, before rebates. Full size SUV's are just piling up on dealer lots, especially GM brands. Expect prices to get even better in July and into August when they need to find room for '06's.

(Despite favorable pricing, I was so unimpressed with the vehicles we ultimately decided to spend some money to keep the current '99 Suburban road worthy for a couple more years.)

I have said so many times that if GM would just make a diesel Suburban, I would buy it. Well, I said it to someone who's father works for GM this past weeked. He told me that you can get a Duramax diesel in a 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban if you ask for it. I have not contacted anyone to ask for it yet but that is what I was told.

One other thing: He said it was expensive...

Edited by zzbutler

I was told that the Duramax/Allison combo does not fit in the current 3/4 ton Sub. Something about the transmission not fitting properly into the frame. I have heard that the next redesign of the Tahoe/Sub line that there will be a Dura/Allison available in the 3/4 ton.

I was told that the Duramax/Allison combo does not fit in the current 3/4 ton Sub. Something about the transmission not fitting properly into the frame. I have heard that the next redesign of the Tahoe/Sub line that there will be a Dura/Allison available in the 3/4 ton.

Isn't the Sub sitting on a 3/4ton crew cab long bed truck frame?

Do they really make a sub specific frame?

I have said so many times that if GM would just make a diesel Suburban, I would buy it.  Well, I said it to someone who's father works for GM this past weeked.  He told me that you can get a Duramax diesel in a 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban if you ask for it.  I have not contacted anyone to ask for it yet but that is what I was told. 

One other thing:  He said it was expensive...

I went to a dealer last month and they said I can get the Sub in a diesel. But frankly I thought I knew more then they did and blew it off. So often the buyer knows more than the guy peddling the car.

I really hope you're wrong in this case.

ANYONE out there with connections to find out definitively?

I just called a dealer and they said you COULD order the '04 with the diesel and Alyson. But the trani forced a lift on the Sub and increased rollovers. So they discontinued the option for '05.

No forseeable changes in '06...

You should be able to do better than that. My wife & I shopped Expeditions and Tahoes/Suburbans a few weeks ago. We were looking at prices $1,000 to $1,500 BELOW invoice, before rebates. Full size SUV's are just piling up on dealer lots, especially GM brands. Expect prices to get even better in July and into August when they need to find room for '06's.

I'll give it a shot first. I hope that Lincoln isn't more proud of the SUV's than Ford. Every thousand i save on the SUV is just another thousand for the VLX!

Greg

if it doesn't drink diesel it doesn't tow my boats Biggrin.gif I loved passing those half-ton gassers on the grades from Ft.Smith to Rogers, AR, they were struggling to pull 45mph. Tongue.gif

GM is offering a deal right now where you can buy GM products for the GM Family Price.

We have bought several vehicles this way, CFO use to work for GMAC, and it is a smoking deal. The list on my 04 Silverado was almost $50k and with the discount I was under $38k.

Given that, I would get an Escalade over the Navigator.

GM is offering a deal right now where you can buy GM products for the GM Family Price. 

I wish they had that 3 months ago when I was buying my Corvette!

Sucks when you could have saved 10k or more? KC

I believe the GM discount doesnt apply to special vehicles like the vette. There were a few others listed too.

If you can wait a year, I they are going to introduce an Expy on steroids... a little bit larger, but not as large as the Excursion. No word on engine options yet but I am doubtful they will include the diesel.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Featu...rticleId=105986

http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/spy-photos/sp...tion-026391.php

Actually, after reading that article, maybe it will have one!

Edited by Alibuma

We have bought several vehicles this way, CFO use to work for GMAC, and it is a smoking deal.  The list on my 04 Silverado was almost $50k and with the discount I was under $38k. 

We did some price checking last weekend and got the GM deal price. The Navigator invoice price, along with their $3k incentive, makes it less expensive than the Cadi employee price. We like the options in the Navi better too.

This is definitely the best time of year to buy a year end vehicle.

Greg

We have bought several vehicles this way, CFO use to work for GMAC, and it is a smoking deal.  The list on my 04 Silverado was almost $50k and with the discount I was under $38k. 

Did you forget something? Like Chevy_anim.gif

The engine in the Escalade (6.0 i think) is one heck of an engine. I drive a Chevy 3/4 ton (same engine as Caddy) as my work vehicle in the summer and am usually pulling a bobcat on a heavy tadem trailer which is way heavier than a boat. The engine pulls extreamly well. On the high way I can pull up hills @ 70 mph with ease. It has also been problem free for 65K miles.

Just my .02

Did you forget something? Like Chevy_anim.gif

No we didn't forget Chevy_anim.gif, we just kept driving by. lol

I think if the Cadi had the fold flat 3rd row like the Navi, our decision would have already been made. We would like the versatility of the 3rd row and the seats are just too big for my wife to lug in and out.

I do like the power of the GM power plant better.

My Lincoln does not have the fold flat seats. It is a major PITA to lug the 50 to 60 lb seat out of there. It's also a PITA to store it when it is out. The Caddy did not have a 3rd seat option when I was looking so it got eliminated.

Fold Flat will be nice.

I believe the GM discount doesnt apply to special vehicles like the vette.  There were a few others listed too.

If you can wait a year, I they are going to introduce an Expy on steroids... a little bit larger, but not as large as the Excursion.  No word on engine options yet but I am doubtful they will include the diesel.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Featu...rticleId=105986

http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/spy-photos/sp...tion-026391.php

Actually, after reading that article, maybe it will have one!

SAAWEEEEEET! The timing here would be perfect for what we're looking for.

This article: http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7781

Says the diesel's in the mix as well. Interesting. It'd be lame though if the diesel they threw in there was weak. What's the point in that?

Looks like Ford doesn't care about all the hubbub recently with the high gas prices and slow selling of the Sub/Yukon.

We are in pre production pilot build of the '07 Yukon/Tahoe/Escalade now. We built a Black Escalade w/ 20's for Gary Cowger to look at the other day, Can you say WOWZAAAA... Surprised.gif

That's all I can say...My lips are sealed