Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Waxing?

I was hoping to just get some general tips and suggestions as far as waxing goes...considering this is our first boat to own!

Do most of you use an electric buffer? If so, where is a good place to get one and what type of pads to use?

I know lots of people use Meguire's wax. Is there something else I should be using or looking for?

Thanks in advance for the help!

I personally don't use an electric buffer because I'd be worried about micro scratches but I bet that there are people who use them successfully. IMO the boat is a ton easier to wax than the car because even though the panels are HUGE they are smooth and uniform without all the nooks and crannys a car has. I use a teflon wax with the hopes that it will last longer than some of the other waxes which may be a bit more shiny at first.

I use an orbital buffer to polish the boat before I wax. The polish kinda acts like lotion for dry skin as it nourishes the paint and helps get rid of the water spots. I always apply the wax by hand. Make sure you purchase some nice quality microfiber towels to remove the polish and wax by hand (you should also use them to wipe down your boat and dry it after washing).

You'll probably get about a dozen different product recommendations from all of us, so here is my .02. I use Zymol polish and Zymol Marina wax. They are a little pricey but I've had really good results with them over the years.

Happy detailing.

Edited by FijiRob

I've had great results applying the wax with a 6" Ryobi hand orbital. Makes short work of applying, then I remove it by hand. If your going to go buy one, I'd get a 6" vs. one of those two handed monsters. It took about an hour to do the whole boat.

I use Turtle wax applicators on the buffer to apply. They make a "special" pad for applying only. You can get them at Home Depot.

As far as the wax, I use the 3M liquid marine wax, kinda pricey, but that must mean it's good stuff, right?? :)

I use 3M High Performance Marine Paste Wax which is what the factory recommends. It is pricey - about $20 for a can of it. I don't use a power buffer, just elbow grease.

For a pre-wax polish I use the 3M Finesse-It II Finishing Compound.

I use a random orbital 6 inch that I got at walmart for 15 bucks. I use a lambs wool applicator. I remove the wax by hand with terry cloths.

I wax with Meguires Yellow #26.

A good waxing twice yearly w/o a buffer and Eagle One wax as you dry spray on after every time I take it out. That stuff works like a charm.