Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VTX diamond hull

VTX Diamond

I just ordered an 08 VTX on the diamond hull. This will be our first malibu. We currently have a runabout. I have skiied behind an old mastercraft and a malibu and I have to have one. We like to slalom ski but want to get more into wakeboarding and learn to surf, also the wife had to have a Vdrive for the social aspect.

Since I am new I thought I would tell you what I ordered and see what advice you have for other options. Here is what we decided on:

A combination of platinum, ebony, and driftwood on the exterior and interior

Stayed with the 320 as it should have plenty of power for us

Water cooled shaft seal, pull up cleats, bow ballast, 2 batteries, manual wedge, depth finder, fiberglass platform, illusion X tower, bimini, cover, boatmate tralier

Did not order any racks as we want to use the boat and decide what we want

Want the silent tip exhaust but we looked at a few 08 boats on the lot and some had baffles and some did not but there is only one option from malibu, I want the baffles, does anyone know how these are suppossed to be for 08?

Ordered the transom remote, head unit, and 4 speakers, no tower speakers or amps as I want to do that myself later. I have read a lot on here about different speakers. Is all this talk about tower speakers or also cabin speakers? Should I talk to the dealer about not putting in the cabin speakers from malibu and replacing them with another brand? What are the best cabin speakers to go with, brand and model? I have read plenty on tower speakers but was not sure about cabin speakers.

Thanks.

I just ordered an 08 VTX on the diamond hull. This will be our first malibu. We currently have a runabout. I have skiied behind an old mastercraft and a malibu and I have to have one. We like to slalom ski but want to get more into wakeboarding and learn to surf, also the wife had to have a Vdrive for the social aspect.

Since I am new I thought I would tell you what I ordered and see what advice you have for other options. Here is what we decided on:

A combination of platinum, ebony, and driftwood on the exterior and interior

Stayed with the 320 as it should have plenty of power for us

Water cooled shaft seal, pull up cleats, bow ballast, 2 batteries, manual wedge, depth finder, fiberglass platform, illusion X tower, bimini, cover, boatmate tralier

Did not order any racks as we want to use the boat and decide what we want

Want the silent tip exhaust but we looked at a few 08 boats on the lot and some had baffles and some did not but there is only one option from malibu, I want the baffles, does anyone know how these are suppossed to be for 08?

Ordered the transom remote, head unit, and 4 speakers, no tower speakers or amps as I want to do that myself later. I have read a lot on here about different speakers. Is all this talk about tower speakers or also cabin speakers? Should I talk to the dealer about not putting in the cabin speakers from malibu and replacing them with another brand? What are the best cabin speakers to go with, brand and model? I have read plenty on tower speakers but was not sure about cabin speakers.

Thanks.

Congrats on the new boat.

I would consider a shower and heater as well.. I don't think they are too expensive of options but they can also be installed later but it will cost more than at the factory.. Depending on how far you trailer the boat as well I would think about upgrading to a trailerable cover like a Rankin or Evolution.

I am not too sure about the performance difference between the 320 and 340 but if you are looking to get into Surfing as alot of us have then you may want to think about the Power Wedge as well. I think it may be better for resale as well..

Good Luck

Great news. We also put a down payment on a special order earlier this month and just confirmed yesterday after a ski and board session to order the diamond VTX. I have ridden and skied behind the diamond and wake hulls and wanted to go for the better ski wake, although the wake hull does put out a pretty rounded-over, low wake at skiing speeds.

If you are serious about trying surfing I suggest adding the bow tank and the power wedge since it provides more downforce than the manual wedge. Also, from what I have seen suggested, the monsoon 340 will not only give you more power and cleaner exhaust, but better fuel economy than the 320.

Congrats on the VTX!

I agree about the bow tank and the Monsoon. If you end up surfing I think you'll appreciate both of these (adding weight to the front helps make the wave longer, and I believe the Monsoon will minimize the exhaust vs the 320).

The only other thing I might add is that the Illusion tower doesn't give you a lot of headroom in the VTX. I was in your shoes last Oct/Nov and almost pulled the trigger on a VTX (I ended up ordering a VLX instead), and I was going to get the Titan tower because my head was bumping into the Illusion tower on the showroom VTX. I didn't have any trouble with the height of the Illusion on the VLX (the sides of the boat come up higher on the VLX so the tower sits up higher), but it was a PITA on a VTX. I'm 5'11", so if you are anywhere close to that height you might want to double check your head clearance.

Good luck and congrats again! Biggrin.gif

Don

I say purchase the STROKER 383 (Monsoon).Get larger intake valves, a hotter cam, and monster throttle-bodies and a high flow intake to match! Then again I say a lot of stuff.

congrats on the new float. Your going to love it.

I second adding the bow ballast and Titan. The Illusion is fine but as mentioned it is short on the VTX and blocks all side entry to the boat.

I would recomend adding the heated drivers seat. A heater and shower can always be added later.

I think the 320 is a good value option for the VTX.

I say purchase the STROKER 383 (Monsoon).Get larger intake valves, a hotter cam, and monster throttle-bodies and a high flow intake to match! Then again I say a lot of stuff.

congrats on the new float. Your going to love it.

Since when is the Monsoon a stroker?

Did they change that? AFAIK only the HH comes as 383. :unsure:

320LCR = Chev. 350, MPFI, Regular Exhaust

340Monsoon = Chev. 350, MPFI, Better Heads, ETX CAT Exhaust, Better intake

383hammerhead = 383 stroker, 400hp, ETX CAT Exhaust

450hp 8.1L Vortec

512hp Zo6 he he