Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Troubleshooting 101

OK back online now. Sorry, had to go to bed.

Anyway, another clue. The boat was sitting still tied next to my houseboat for about 20 minutes while we checked the prop, strut, rudder, tracking fins, etc...

We did find a loose prop nut and tightened that and took her out for a test run. At first the boat ran at speed with no problem, then as we hit some rough water the shuddering returned. Almost felt like cavitation, but we were going straight and true and the water wasn't that rough that the prop would be leaving the water.

So does this help with the puzzle?? Yes.gifNo.gifFrustrated.gif

The impeller went out or debris in the raw water intake overheated the engine and it shut down to idle speed.

This would also be my guess, had it happen to me.

Also a good guess. A couple weeks earlier this would have been true, but this was a brand new impeller. No overheating.

Is the front #1 of 3 tracking fin bent from hitting a log? If so at slow speeds it would be ok, however at higher speeds it would reverberate teh water back and forth.

first of all, do you kow the answer, or are we all just guessing?

Here's my 2 guesses: you're dragging an anchor or you're out of gas.

No really, here it is: you're alignment is off and the mounting hardware is loose. Or, your driveshaft is not attached properly to the tranny. Thats why the shimmy came back after hitting rough water.

I've got to go with the debris in the water getting hung up on the prop/shaft. A plastic bag or even a piece of rope that gets wrapped around the shaft can cause all sorts of problems.

first of all, do you kow the answer, or are we all just guessing?

Here's my 2 guesses:  you're dragging an anchor or you're out of gas.

No really, here it is:  you're alignment is off and the mounting hardware is loose.  Or, your driveshaft is not attached properly to the tranny.  Thats why the shimmy came back after hitting rough water.

Yes I already know the answer. And no its not the alignment, the problem was fixed without taking the boat out of the water. :)

I've got to go with the debris in the water getting hung up on the prop/shaft.  A plastic bag or even a piece of rope that gets wrapped around the shaft can cause all sorts of problems.

We thought the same thing. Especially after we took it out the second time and the problem was gone, but in this case it returned after a few minutes of driving at speed.

Also, someone who's already posted a guess came very close to the answer... Shocking.gif

debri in or around the strut bearing i.e. the bearing running dry or against something.

Ok going more with the fuel.

your tank is low. when at idle your pick up line is in the fuel, but when hitting wave's the tank is to low so the pick up line is taking in air. OOO ya no one looked at the gas gauge yet.

Apologies for the hijack...

Someone joked he forgot the anchor. Don't laugh. :) I know a guy who owns a runabout, and they took off wakeboarding once with anchor down. Apparently the anchor drug a while, then got stuck on a rock, root, or something on the bottom.

The rope stretched way out, then the anchor came loose, flying into the boat at high speed, and smacked someone upside the head, almost killing them. Lucky it was a vinyl coated anchor, and didn't stab into his head. Also I think it glanced off some else shoulder first, possibly slowing it down.

Ambulance had to come, everything. His insurance got sued, the works. I think he got lucky, and didn't get sued beyond the insurance, but still.

Just hearing him tell the story is scary as hell... Can you imagine an ANCHOR flying at you like that? Sheesh...

I GOT IT!

You sheared a key in the driveline, at the prop or one of the couplers. It holds tight until there is a load on the prop and then it slips. I bet it was at the prop and that is why the nut was loose.

What do I win? Yahoo.gif

I've got to go with the debris in the water getting hung up on the prop/shaft.  A plastic bag or even a piece of rope that gets wrapped around the shaft can cause all sorts of problems.

I think it's something like this also :)

Darn Texas hijackers...

Boomer, we actually saw that happen to someone last year around a dock. They had the anchor down and gunned it. It flew up into the boat and gashed a kids head open. We had to help them get the boat out of the water really fast so they could take him to the hospital.

I'm thinking that the coupler bolts were coming loose from the trans to the shaft where the directional force caused the shaft to become misaligned.

Hows that sound?