Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Troubleshooting 101

Now a little test to see how good the crew members are at troubleshooting problems on their Malibu's.

The Subject - 2004 wsvlx approx. 150 hours.

The Situation - Been wakeboarding all morning. After boarding, shooting across the lake to visit the brother (me), while dodging wood everywhere you turn. After cruising across the lake and nearing the marinas no wake zone, but still doing about 30 MPH, the boat starts to shudder and there is an apparent loss of power. The engine still runs and the shudder stops at idle speed.

What do you think the problem is?

More clues to follow.

A correct diagnosis with that little bit of info would be a lucky guess.

Any noises accompanying the "shudder"?

Was the "shudder" felt in the wheel? Or the boat in general?

Is the boat equipped with a wedge?

Edited by NorCaliBu
A correct diagnosis with that little bit of info would be a lucky guess.

Any noises accompanying the "shudder"?

Was the "shudder" felt in the wheel? Or the boat in general?

Is the boat equipped with a wedge?

No noise before the shaking.

The whole boat felt the shudder. Don't think the wheel was shaking.

Does have a wedge, but it was up and locked.

The whole boat felt the shudder. Don't think the wheel was shaking.

Skegs, prop, and rudder are all OK?

Was the trailer still attached? Biggrin.gif Maybe one of the transom straps came loose? :lol:

I wondered about the trailer also :lol:

Dove under the boat and the skeg, prop and rudder were good under visual inspection.

Edited by vlxjeff
After cruising across the lake and nearing the marinas no wake zone, but still doing about 30 MPH, the boat starts to shudder and there is an apparent loss of power.

Was that when they turned on the stereo? Biggrin.gif

ok

first guess, Throttle cable broke or came off.

2nd Water in the gas.

3rd you had a Beer.gif and moved the throttle down.

How much gas was in the tank.

when was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

ok

first guess, Throttle cable broke or came off.

2nd Water in the gas.

3rd you had a Beer.gif and moved the throttle down.

How much gas was in the tank.

when was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

Ahh gas problems...

Good guess but not it... except for the burrito for lunch :blush:

Prop was not damaged, upon closer inspection, correct?

By the way, thanks. I might as well quit studying now because I'm too busy troubleshooting Crazy.gifBiggrin.gif

Edited by Henken
Prop was not damaged, correct?

By the way, thanks.  I might as well quit studying now because I'm too busy troubleshooting Crazy.gifBiggrin.gif

Correct, the prop looked good.I did see a scuff on the prop that looked like it had hit some wood, but the prop did not appear to be damaged.

And it's a stainless prop anyway, so it would have to hit something pretty bad to bend.

Strut bearing :unsure:

After only 150 hours? Maybe, but not likely. Maybe if it's run in really turbid, nasty water with a lot of suspended silt, bu even then....of course, could be a bad bearing....if the "rubber" insert became delaminated from the brass outer shell....could be.

We had a similar experience on a friends 'bu... I think it turned out to be a problem with the fuel pump... Did you get the notorious fule pump squealing?

JZ

My guess would be that you got hung-up on some floatsome that temporarily caused vibration, then cleared at idle speed. That happens to me all the time on the river. Debris will lodge on the wedge, or the strut, and you will think that the drive line is coming off!