Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Questions from a NUB

smeagol

I tried wakeboarding for the first time this past weekend.

I've been a slalom guy since I was a kid but want to learn to wakeboard b/c it sounds like fun. Plus, I've got three kids that will likely end up boarding instead of skiing, so I need to learn so I can teach. I decided to use this season to learn to get up on a wakeboard, cut and begin some surface skills. Hopefully next season will be the year of the boat.

I was on my new board (HL Motive 140 w/ Spin) for the first time this past weekend. I was being pulled behind a sea-doo (hopefully I'll be in a VLX by next season), so I'm sure my experience was not the best. I found that getting up, riding switch, and surface 180's were relatively easy. My faceplants came when I got cocky and caught an edge trying board slides.

My biggest surprise was how bad my feet hurt across the ball of each foot. Was it just because I was tensing up my toes so much? I did find that by my third and fourth ride it was not nearly as bad as the first.

When I faceplanted, I did come out of my bindings, so I wonder if I've got them on tight enough? It was a challenge putting them back on in the water without the ivory dish soap lubrication. But I'm not sure I could get them much tighter (I wear a 10.5 and I got the men's Std 6-11.5 size binding).

I did learn that one of the nice side-effects of wakeboarding is nice soft and sweet-smelling feet. ;)

I found that getting up, riding switch, and surface 180's were relatively easy.  My faceplants came when I got cocky and caught an edge trying board slides. 

When I faceplanted, I did come out of my bindings, so I wonder if I've got them on tight enough?  It was a challenge putting them back on in the water without the ivory dish soap lubrication.  But I'm not sure I could get them much tighter (I wear a 10.5 and I got the men's Std 6-11.5 size binding).

Sounds like you are picking it up pretty quick. Your bindings should not be so tight that you never come out of them. On a hard faceplant this should be expected.

I found that getting up, riding switch, and surface 180's were relatively easy.  My faceplants came when I got cocky and caught an edge trying board slides.  

When I faceplanted, I did come out of my bindings, so I wonder if I've got them on tight enough?  It was a challenge putting them back on in the water without the ivory dish soap lubrication.  But I'm not sure I could get them much tighter (I wear a 10.5 and I got the men's Std 6-11.5 size binding).

Sounds like you are picking it up pretty quick. Your bindings should not be so tight that you never come out of them. On a hard faceplant this should be expected.

Especially with the Spins. They are one of Hyperlite's entry level bindings & don't off all that much support or ways to really cinch them down. Get them to where they're comfy & let it be at that. The bummer with that kind of binding is that they tend to release on just about all falls.

And if nobody has done so, welcome to the site. :)

Excellent. Thanks all for your helping clear this up for me. I bought the Spins on purpose because I plan for this board to be the board for the boat. I think they will offer a lot of flexibility for various riders.

Good to hear you are picking up wakeboarding. Personally I keep my bindings just tight enough that my feet won't slide around when landing a big jump but pretty loose overall. Your feet hurting is probably a result of having your binding too tight. I used to be all about having as tight bindings as possible sicne I come from snowboardign where I really cinch it down but as I've progressed Ive ridden with them looser and looser and haven't noticed any problems. Bad falls where you catch the surface of the board on the water also hurt less if the board pops off immediatley. Catching the edge coming down from a raley can be disasterous if your bindings are too tight.